Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
down to tax cut, not much else.
the Dow Jones was 26,600+ when DT took over from Obama, it promptly dropped 3,000. It only recovered because of tax cuts (25,200, still less than when Obama left).
Every conservative government here has tried the tax cut trick, makes a lot of noises 'the economy is booming' - the effect does not last for long, people in the know take the profit out of their balance sheets for a 2-3 years, long enough for the next change of the guards.
DT claimed victory: steel factories re-open: 50,000 new jobs. Let's wait until the world retaliates, buying less American products, 100,000 job losses. That's the sort of things that make low tariff trading a success today. DT puts up duty, DT will destroy more jobs than reviving a few steel factories.
However you assess it DT is not stupid. If I remember you and I had this discussion before? Not sure it was "stupid" but in very similar vein.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I didn't call DT stupid. It was Jennifer who tried to extend my comment in the direction of what was not said but could have been implied. DT made enemies of his neighbours Canada and Mexico, then the EU and China. He has not got many friends at the moment.
Some countries may fear him and stick with him for now because they are doing business with the USA and want to avoid fines and damaging their business. But will anyone trust him enough next time?
They'll call his bluff soon enough.
He may feel he's done the right thing for some Americans but what about the other Americans? Not so clever as far as they are concerned,

Jennifer Jenkins

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
I got mine second hand. After trying a lot came to conclusion 2nd hand Haibike (700 miles) was better than new cheaper models. Have a look on James Cycles (of Rotherham) tho. Some big discounts on Haibike at moment. Good luck.
I'll do that. Thank you.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I like him.
There really isn't an answer to that is there?
By the way many of the cheaper Ebikes will give good service, I swopped an old Honda 125cc scooter for a Viking Eco stepper, which is one of the cheapest around, and after four years it is still going strong, just replaced the battery and on/ off locking switch, and it came with the new battery for just over £100 pounds.
The bike has done thousands of miles in daily use, and you can get later versions on the net, or some reasonably priced models (less than a thousand pounds, in Halfords)
It has in fact lasted far better than I expected and is still rust free.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

Jennifer Jenkins

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2018
There really isn't an answer to that is there?
By the way many of the cheaper Ebikes will give good service, I swopped an old Honda 125cc scooter for a Viking Eco stepper, which is one of the cheapest around, and after four years it is still going strong, just replaced the battery and on/ off locking switch, and it came with the new battery for just over £100 pounds.
The bike has done thousands of miles in daily use, and you can get later versions on the net, or some reasonably priced models (less than a thousand pounds, in Halfords)
It has in fact lasted far better than I expected and is still rust free.
Those look closer to my price bracket.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I hope Theresa May was taking notes for her upcoming June meeting with the EU on how to make clear our intentions on what the UK 's position is.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
TM has to negotiate with BJ first, then with LF next and DD next before she can even publish her plan.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I hope Theresa May was taking notes for her upcoming June meeting with the EU on how to make clear our intentions on what the UK 's position is.

Think that conference was actually rather good. He spoke well, answered all questions and was very knowledgeable about subject. Spoke a lot of sense. Can you imagine some past Presidents being able to carry that off? Bush? Reagan?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The Europeans are arguing American cars do not sell in EU because of intrinsic reasons (ie safety, image, efficiency, size, handling, etc etc) the only way to prove it is have reciprocal Tarrifs. Why should Audi/BMW/Porsche /VW/Mercedes face only 2.5% going into USA but Mustangs etc face as much as 25% going other way. (see info below,) IMG_20180610_054730.jpg
(Source TTIP. Motor Vehicles.Industry Overview. USA)
Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership report is worth reading. The US has massive plans to increase trade.(To be fair both ways) I wonder if this is what Brexit and Trump is all about?

Trump is right. All countries should operate with reciprocal trade agreement Tarrifs.

If I could have a brand new Mustang on my drive for £22k I, d have one. With reciprocal tariffs I could. Aren't we all rather fed up with characterless Audi and the way VAG has conned us all with the diesel scam.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/mustang/first-drives/ford-mustang-23-ecoboost-automatic-2018-review

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If I could have a brand new Mustang on my drive for £22k I, d have one. With reciprocal tariffs I could.
the world is moving toward what you wish for, but it takes time. Check the agenda of the WTO conferences. Each round moves tariffs lower.
But you need to see why differential tariffs exist in the first place.
They are there to enable trade. Without them, you can't even sell into the countries concerned.
See why Canada puts 270% tariff on US milk.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
the world is moving toward what you wish for, but it takes time. Check the agenda of the WTO conferences. Each round moves tariffs lower.
But you need to see why differential tariffs exist in the first place.
They are there to enable trade. Without them, you can't even sell into the countries concerned.
See why Canada puts 270% tariff on US milk.
Not much longer?Trump has a bee in his bonnet over that one. He, s mentioned it time and time again.
The current Tarrifs have probably contributed to the down fall of Detroit and the meteoric rise of German car industry. If I were an American living near Detroit I, d be well cheesed off. Trump has a valid point.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Well it proved two things
  1. He can read from an Autocue
  2. When he takes his eyes off it he tends to ramble and repeat himself
His replies were mostly self praise and insulting his predecessors, or faint flattery to competitive heads of state, topped by complete nonsense when he rambled on about Kin Jong Un's intentions.
If that man wanted to do anything for the good of his country he hasn't done very well so far, has he? Are the Gulags to become Mc Donalds franchises?

And he wants Russia back into the G8, handy cover for what he has been accused of regarding his dealings with them.
Here we have another case of a Politician talking about his wishful thinking
And the man is unreliable too!
From the Guardian
"
G7 in disarray after Trump rejects communique and attacks 'weak' Trudeau
Leaders believed they had a deal until the US president launched a personal attack on Canada’s prime minister
Donald Trump has left the G7 network of global cooperation in disarray after he pulled the US out of a previously agreed summit communique, blaming the Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau whom he derided as “dishonest and weak”.

'My touch, my feel': Trump shows his contempt for G7 allies

The US president, who arrived at the summit in Canada late and left early to fly to Singapore to prepare for his summit with Kim Jong-un, shocked fellow leaders with a bellicose press conference on Saturday in which he attacked the trade policies of other countries.

The US had nevertheless appeared to agree a form of words on contentious issues thanks to an all-night negotiating session by officials from all sides.

But after leaving for Singapore, Trump tweeted personal attacks on Trudeau and said that he had told his representatives not to sign the summit communique, turning what had already been a tense meeting of the world’s leading industrialised democracies into a fiasco.

What a Farce. If TM is taking notes it would be a good idea to regard what he did as something to avoid like the plague

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not much longer?Trump has a bee in his bonnet over that one. He, s mentioned it time and time again.
The current Tarrifs have probably contributed to the down fall of Detroit and the meteoric rise of German car industry. If I were an American living near Detroit I, d be well cheesed off. Trump has a valid point.
But it won't change anything will it? and in many ways there is an irony here.
Historically the American Steel industry couldn't compete with the all powerful British Steel industry.
They imposed extreme tariffs against our steel till theirs became all powerful and ours withered and declined
So sombody has done it to them..... How sad..
The EU won't suddenly start importing American cars, there is nothing special about them, even if the odd showy sports models have a minority appeal.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
he's got a bee in his bonnet alright but he acts on instinct, not judgement. The world trade needs rules to prosper, and rules are the result of judgement and negotiation, not instinct.
You need to read up on why 270% duty on US milk import to Canada, it's the same story over here, in the EU. The EU puts up high tariff on American cars and on foodstuff for the same reasons. Tariffs are negotiated by experts, not Donald Trump, he hasn't got the expertise.

Advertisers