Brexit, for once some facts.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
But as I said, they are still foreign engines, not designed here.
I think Ilmor engines started out as a British company, based in Northamptonshire, which designed and built high performance engines for motorsport. They formed a partnership with Mercedes to supply their F1 engines. I believe Mercedes now own 100% of the company, but it is still Northamptonshire based. Whether the Northamptonshire base carries out any design work, I don’t know. I suspect they do.

• Informative
Reactions: OxygenJames

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Get your point but BJ is inappropriate for a whole host of reasons before we start down his relationships.
We havent a clue what happened, the pair doing recording and media reporting are left wingers. They listened, recorded argument and helped by informing media first... Not the police?! Very socially minded..
DM have run with it.

It's really not a leftist plot and we have more than a clue what happened due to evidence. I totally understand how the Mail and Telegraph will spin it as such but these people did not invent this. Also it's important to keep to the facts. They called the police first. Not the Guardian. And, very importantly two other neighbours were about to call the police. Another knocked to make sure they were ok.

This divorcee guy who is going through another divorce is living in a posh bolt hole with his young girlfriend. Rowing with her to the extant that the police had to be called. Think about that. He is in her tiny flat as he has no other home. He didn't leave the F.O official home for a month or two after he was sacked as he was not welcome at his family home. He had nowhere else to go. The guy is a shambles.

How anyone can defend this as it's not our business or it's a trap has their head in the sand. Senior tories are even saying that he needs to explain what happened. He isn't a private person anymore. Hasn't been for years. You want to run for the highest public office? You are now public property. Thems the rules.

He can't even dress himself properly. Is this a good thing @OxygenJames ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think Ilmor engines started out as a British company, based in Northamptonshire, which designed and built high performance engines for motorsport. They formed a partnership with Mercedes to supply their F1 engines. I believe Mercedes now own 100% of the company, but it is still Northamptonshire based. Whether the Northamptonshire base carries out any design work, I don’t know. I suspect they do.
Yes, they were definitely a British company, but my post was not about where the engines were made so much as whether they were foreign or British designed. Given Mercedes long record of success in racing engines from the early 1950s on to today and our very patchy record over the same period, I believe the engines are very much Mercedes.

Put it this way, which company could the team have been successful without?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Yes, they were definitely a British company, but my post was not about where the engines were made so much as whether they were foreign or British designed. Given Mercedes long record of success in racing engines from the early 1950s on to today and our very patchy record over the same period, I believe the engines are very much Mercedes.

Put it this way, which company could the team have been successful without?

Yeah.

Lest we forget.

Flecc is never wrong.

You have just read his posts incorrectly. You are wrong.

Do not forget this.

The engines may have been made here and designed here. But according to Flecc they are not British. He was quite clear?

Either way you are wrong.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Guardian now quotes Rifkind (my emphasis) - not someone I expected to quote:

The former foreign secretary Sir Malcolm Rifkind also urged Johnson to explain what happened or arouse suspicions that he was hiding something.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: “If you are a candidate to be prime minister and the police have been called to your house – fairly or unfairly – the fact is there was a police visit. You don’t just say ‘no comment’. That implies you may have something you don’t want to disclose.

It was a lack of judgment to refuse to even make a short comment. All he could have said, quite reasonably, would have been that in all relationships there are occasionally outbursts of anger and disagreement.”

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
From DM front page as of a minute or two ago:

Senior Tories fear Boris could be ousted on his first day in Downing Street if Jeremy Corbyn calls for no-confidence vote due to tiny Parliamentary majority

If the former London Mayor wins the leadership contest, No 10 expects Jeremy Corbyn to call an immediate no-confidence vote in the Commons in an effort to bring down his embryonic administration.

What is the DUP view of BJ?
Funny..I was ahead of the DM in that prediction.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
THis leadership race is not looking like a walkover for Boris now, and I suspect many people (including Boris himself) are relieved about that.
I'm not,as Hunt is smarter than Boris and will actually try (and fail) to make Brexit work, slowing down the damage and making the agony drag out for longer.
With Boris in charge we my well leave the EU, but we will be back sooner rather than later.
It's really not a leftist plot and we have more than a clue what happened due to evidence. I totally understand how the Mail and Telegraph will spin it as such but these people did not invent this. Also it's important to keep to the facts. They called the police first. Not the Guardian. And, very importantly two other neighbours were about to call the police. Another knocked to make sure they were ok.

This divorcee guy who is going through another divorce is living in a posh bolt hole with his young girlfriend. Rowing with her to the extant that the police had to be called. Think about that. He is in her tiny flat as he has no other home. He didn't leave the F.O official home for a month or two after he was sacked as he was not welcome at his family home. He had nowhere else to go. The guy is a shambles.

How anyone can defend this as it's not our business or it's a trap has their head in the sand. Senior tories are even saying that he needs to explain what happened. He isn't a private person anymore. Hasn't been for years. You want to run for the highest public office? You are now public property. Thems the rules.

He can't even dress himself properly. Is this a good thing @OxygenJames ?

Seems appropriate in a tragi-comic way that a country that leaves home (figuratively speaking) and is hoping to live on charity.
Has a Prime Minister to be, registered as of no fixed abode.
Acting as a role model.
And he is opposed by a man whose parents mis-spelled his surname at birth

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
THis leadership race is not looking like a walkover for Boris now, and I suspect many people (including Boris himself) are relieved about that.
I'm not,as Hunt is smarter than Boris and will actually try (and fail) to make Brexit work, slowing down the damage and making the agony drag out for longer.
With Boris in charge we my well leave the EU, but we will be back sooner rather than later.

Seems appropriate in a tragi-comic way that a country that leaves home (figuratively speaking) and is hoping to live on charity.
Has a Prime Minister to be, registered as of no fixed abode.
Acting as a role model.
And he is opposed by a man whose parents mis-spelled his surname at birth

He wants number 10 because its a free house. He doesn't realise there is a job attached to it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Boris' girlfriend is 'too scared to go home' after blazing row was recorded in 'stitch-up' and hate mail delivered to her door -
Crikey the postal service in London must be damn good ! or more likely as usual it's just another lie.
Seriously if this was true it is remarkable that no examples reached the front pages, and the comings and goings of people delivering those messages reported too.

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oyster

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Yeah.

Lest we forget.

Flecc is never wrong.

You have just read his posts incorrectly. You are wrong.

Do not forget this.

The engines may have been made here and designed here. But according to Flecc they are not British. He was quite clear?

Either way you are wrong.
I’m not confident enough in my knowledge to say whether flecc is wrong. Ilmor definitely designed and built engines at some stage whilst British owned. I’m also pretty sure they supplied another F1 team prior to Mercedes involvement.

Now the company is 100% Mercedes owned, but British, based I don’t know enough about the company structure to say with certainty that all design work is now done outside the UK. I would find it surprising if that were the case.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I’m not confident enough in my knowledge to say whether flecc is wrong. Ilmor definitely designed and built engines at some stage whilst British owned. I’m also pretty sure they supplied another F1 team prior to Mercedes involvement.

Now the company is 100% Mercedes owned, but British, based I don’t know enough about the company structure to say with certainty that all design work is now done outside the UK. I would find it surprising if that were the case.

Im telling you now.

Flecc is never wrong.

You are wrong.

I don't even need to check.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The good news is Boris apparently likes cats so should get on with Larry, however there may be a problem from his days as Foreign secretary
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/26/boris-johnsons-cat-evicted-from-number-10-after-sneaking-in-when/

Boris Johnson's cat evicted from 10 Downing Street after sneaking in when the door was open
Boris Johnson inherited a new feline colleague at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office as well as his new role in the Cabinet - and his cheeky streak appears to have rubbed off on the cat.
Palmerston took his Downing Street ambitions further by sneaking in to Theresa May's new residence while no one was looking.
The black-and-white cat, who was appointed Chief Mouser to the Foreign Office earlier this year after being adopted from Battersea Dogs and Cats Home, was unceremoniously evicted by police officers.

Advertisers