Brexit, for once some facts.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Daily Mail this morning
Boris Johnson's chief strategist Dominic Cummings says his legal 'interpretation' is that PM WON'T have to obey rebel law banning No Deal Brexit despite former top prosecutor warning Boris would face prison
  • Dominic Cummings, 47, is understood to have a 'different interpretation' of law
  • The legislation is designed to force PM to seek a Brexit delay beyond October 31
  • Mr Johnson has said he would not entertain seeking another deadline extension
  • Former Director of Public Prosecution said he could be jailed if he broke the law

The readers comments are largely hostile whereas those in the Express are very pro Boris.
Interesting...
I always thought it was one of our basic principles that you can't be forced to sign anything you don't want to.(Statements to police etc)

Reactions: OxygenJames

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
In the Express
Boris Johnson MASTERPLAN: How PM will deliver Brexit by exploiting EU’s own rules
BORIS JOHNSON will threaten to sabotage the EU if MPs do not back an election to settle Brexit.

However if MPs reject that, the other member states of the EU will be dared to refuse an extension – or face the danger that it will not be able to function.

The extension bill, due to become law tomorrow, mandates the PM to take a letter to the EU asking for an extension until January 31 and blocking a no-deal.

He has made it clear he will not deliver the letter – and nor will he resign from office.

It comes as the embattled PM was lifted by an Opinum poll last night which showed the

Clearly off his head.
Time for him to resign
How does Boris Johnson plan to “sabotage” the EU? Will he stage a dirty protest by whipping his trousers down and taking a dump on the EU parliamentary floor? I suppose that would require business to be suspended whilst Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker went to find a bucket of sand and a shovel to cover the offending mess. Apart from that, I don’t understand how he can become a saboteur.

I can understand the tactics of breaking the law. MPs can do that without fear of prosecution because becoming an MP elevates you above all of that stuff.

Last edited:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I always thought it was one of our basic principles that you can't be forced to sign anything you don't want to.(Statements to police etc)
Failure to request an extension to A50 would probably be an offence of malfeasance in office. As holder of the office of PM, he now has an obligation in law to request an extension. You are right, he can’t be compelled as a private individual, but the office of PM can. So if he doesn’t want to do it, all he needs to do is resign.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So BJ tries the nuclear option - and we can imagine that he can't even get a majority in a no-confidence vote?

Johnson and his advisers are this weekend exploring further legislative possibilities, including the “nuclear” option of tabling a no-confidence motion in the government and ordering Tory MPs to vote for it, in order to trigger an election. Such a motion would require only a simple majority of MPs to pass, but may not be allowed by the Speaker, John Bercow.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Time for Labour to decide if they really want to become extinct

Negotiate a deal then chuck it out? what the heck is the point of that? they might was well save time by accepting May's deal before Boris does.
Labour are an unelectable mess full of hypocrites, racists and communists hell bent on punishing people for having a job.

Reactions: Zlatan

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Boris Johnson is to be congratulated for sacking the 21 Tory MPs who voted to block a No Deal Brexit this week. It was a radical move on his part, but contrary to what the moaners and whingers have been bleating about, it was not without precedent in parliamentary history. Furthermore, the rebels knew exactly what they were doing.

These self-serving men and women – many of them not proper Conservatives anyway - all received fair warning that their arrogance and disloyalty would have consequences. When you commit an act of political sabotage, you earn your punishment.

Johnson’s decisiveness proves something much more significant than just his ability to bring his party to heel, however. For the events of this summer confirm that the centre of gravity in British politics is shifting inexorably in favour of Brexit. A much-needed realignment is taking place. I have been arguing for this for years and I am only too delighted that the swamp is being drained at last.
Since mid-August, two Tory MPs, Sarah Woollaston and Phillip Lee, have defected to the Liberal Democrats. This is direct evidence of the sort of repositioning I have in mind. These turncoats were not prepared to honour the Conservatives’ Brexit manifesto pledge on which they stood happily at the 2017 general election, so they have decamped. That neither MP has had the courage to hold a by-election having crossed the floor tells you all you need to know about their true principles and priorities, incidentally. Frankly, the Liberal Democrats deserve them.

At the same time, other Remain Tory MPs have announced that they will not stand for election again. To them I say: good riddance.

If you are not prepared to respect the wishes of the majority of British people, but instead use your privileged position in public life to try to render their votes meaningless, you have no place in politics anyway. It is my sincere wish that other Remain agitators will follow the lead of disgraceful figures like Oliver Letwin in retiring so that real democracy can be restored.

It is remarkable to think that in 1993, at the height of the heated debates over the Maastricht Treaty, then-prime minister John Major labelled those Eurosceptics in his Cabinet with whom he disagreed as ‘bastards’. Twenty-six years later, is it not the case that the roles have been reversed, and that the Remainers are in fact the bastards? One need only think of the extent of the plotting and scheming of former Conservative chancellor Philip Hammond to realise how appropriate Major’s colourful language is.

Hammond, and other pro-EU fanatics like him, has contributed to this country’s political reputation on the international stage being questioned and in some cases lampooned since 2016. In America, there is widespread amazement that not only has the Brexit vote been disregarded so far, but that Britain would want to remain shackled to an undemocratic political union.

If the skirmishes and battles being fought by Johnson are to have any meaning at all, and the general election which this country so badly needs is to result in the pro-Brexit outcome which the majority of voters crave, the prime minister must take the obvious next step of agreeing an electoral pact with The Brexit Party.
I welcome the comments made this week by the new chairman of the ERG, Steve Baker, who warned that Britain will “lose” Brexit unless Johnson does a deal with my party. Baker knows it is blindingly obvious that the Tories simply cannot secure seats in certain parts of the country that voted Leave, but that The Brexit Party would win there. Having spent Wednesday evening in Doncaster, which I would cite as a case in point, this has never been clearer to me.

Johnson should cast his mind back to the European elections in May, in which his party came fifth, and ask himself: does he want the Tories to find themselves in a similarly disastrous position when the results of the next general election come in, or does he want to sign a non-aggression with me and return to Downing Street?

I am 100 per cent sincere in this offer. We are not playing political games. I have spent more than 25 years fighting for Brexit. It is now within our grasp - I can almost taste it.

Nigel Farage is an MEP and leader of The Brexit Party

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Others are raising questions about DC:

Last night Steve Doughty, a Labour member of the home affairs select committee, tabled a series of parliamentary questions asking the House of Commons Commission, which has responsibility for granting access to parliament, “whether individuals who have been found in contempt of parliament are eligible for Commons security passes” and on what grounds Cummings was granted one.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The stupidity of that as a question is that if we have already left, the fundamental question of any GE will be empty.

So, unless the process is somehow halted for the duration of an election, and sufficient time afterwards for a government to be formed, and have at least some time for discussions on a deal if the result were broadly in favour of leaving, there is quite likely only one outcome. We will have left without a deal.

Of course, if the result were in favour of remain, the negotiations could be quite brief.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
In America, there is widespread amazement that not only has the Brexit vote been disregarded so far, but that Britain would want to remain shackled to an undemocratic political union.
Better than being undemocratically shackled to a USA which has its own severe democratic deficit and without any democratic status whatsoever.

(I don't actually accept this claim that the EU is undemocratic though it certainly does have its own problems - as does every form of union.)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson should cast his mind back to the European elections in May, in which his party came fifth, and ask himself: does he want the Tories to find themselves in a similarly disastrous position when the results of the next general election come in, or does he want to sign a non-aggression with me and return to Downing Street?
A non-aggression what?

If he can completely miss a word (or phrase) in what he regards as such an important letter, what does that say about him?

Sajid (Sadgit) Javid says:

Q: Are you comfortable with a pact between the Brexit party and the Tories?
We don’t need an electoral alliance with anyone, Javid insists. We need to heal society, he added.
But he repeatedly refused to rule out an electoral alliance with the Brexit party. We don’t need it, he repeated. We are a proud centre right party, we are not extremist, Javid added.

Reactions: 50Hertz

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Therese Coffey replaces Rudd

Therese Coffey

Therese Coffey Photograph: Jeff Spicer/PA
Boris Johnson has moved quickly to replace Amber Rudd.

Therese Coffey MP, an environment minister and MP for Suffolk Coastal, has been promoted to Work and Pensions Secretary.

Elected in 2010, Coffey is a former deputy Commons leader and was appointed as environment minister by Theresa May.

Like Rudd, she backed remain during the EU referendum in 2016.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Amber Rudd says she is not quitting the Conservative Party now. That didn’t take long.

France’s Foreign Minister is saying that France will oppose an extension to Brexit. That’s undoubtedly music to Johnson’s ears. I’ve always thought it presumptuous and arrogant to speak of an extension to A50 as a given, even more so when we expect it to be 3 months. Any extension will be IF the EU agree to grant it and if so, it will be for a duration of their choosing, not ours. They hold all the cards and dictate the terms.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How does Boris Johnson plan to “sabotage” the EU? Will he stage a dirty protest by whipping his trousers down and taking a dump on the EU parliamentary floor? I suppose that would require business to be suspended whilst Donald Tusk and Jean-Claude Juncker went to find a bucket of sand and a shovel to cover the offending mess. Apart from that, I don’t understand how he can become a saboteur.

I can understand the tactics of breaking the law. MPs can do that without fear of prosecution because becoming an MP elevates you above all of that stuff.
he'll refuse to send UK commissioner and won't approve the EU budget.

• Informative
Reactions: 50Hertz

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Therese Coffey replaces Rudd

Therese Coffey

Therese Coffey Photograph: Jeff Spicer/PA
Boris Johnson has moved quickly to replace Amber Rudd.

Therese Coffey MP, an environment minister and MP for Suffolk Coastal, has been promoted to Work and Pensions Secretary.

Elected in 2010, Coffey is a former deputy Commons leader and was appointed as environment minister by Theresa May.

Like Rudd, she backed remain during the EU referendum in 2016.

A dud to replace Rudd? Who is this muffin faced woman? What experience in Work & Pensions does she have?

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Advertisers