Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Agreed 50 but imagine how UK would celebrate if EU went into negotiations stating they would never implement no deal,infact if EU unilaterally outlawed no deal no matter what UK agreed or more importantly didnt agree to.
Removing no deal by either side would be undermining negotiations for the side removing it. Its a terrible negotiation stance.
Fundamentals matter, boris' brand of blatant posturing only work if you can walk away, like a wealthy european from a fake Rolex salesman in the grand bazaar. In our case the boot is on the other foot, we're the fake Rolex salesman, and the world and its dog knows.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Johnson is still talking about leaving the EU at the end of October with or without a deal.

How can he do this when it is now a legal requirement to have a deal in place before leaving. Does the law passed a few days ago mean nothing?
Yes it means nothing! Regrettably I find myself in agreement with the Leavers on this one. He can easily couch a request to remain in such obnoxious terms that it must be refused, and he can construct another backstop arrangement which is acceptable to no-one. He can then claim, legitimately to have "tried".

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes it means nothing! Regrettably I find myself in agreement with the Leavers on this one. He can easily couch a request to remain in such obnoxious terms that it must be refused, and he can construct another backstop arrangement which is acceptable to no-one. He can then claim, legitimately to have "tried".
he may succeed in getting the DUP to accept a backstop with reduced scope and blackmails the ERG to vote for a deal, at the same time threatens remainers with no deal.
As the backstop accounts for about 1/3 of the WA treaty, he can claim that the EU has made substantial concession.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It’s just common sense. For years I was an idiot and insisting on the big four supermarkets. Waitrose in particular.

It wasn’t till a big Sainsbury’s opened up and we did a big shop that came to £180 plus. The same shop a couple of weeks later, and the first I had ever done in a Lidl was under £80.

It’s sheer madness using the Rob dogs if you don’t have to. I was fooled for a long time.
Not always madness, it would be mad of me not to use the best. I really can't be bothered going though all that Aldi and Lidl sell to find out what's good and what's not, since price is irrelevant to me, and I don't want to do multiple part shops. I don't even know what I pay for most items since I never look at the prices, just buying what I want, which is the best of everything.

So I use a very large Sainsbury's over five miles away that has a vast range of everything in stock , rather than my local mid sized Sainsburys under two miles distant which often hasn't. This pattern of behaviour is surely the benefit of having more than enough money, there's no point in having money otherwise, if not to better life.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You really arent well. Go take a tablet and lie down.
Notice you have spent hours searching but failed to find any of my comments linking Brexit to "nice deals". You wont, there arent any, except ofcourse fabricated in your own mind. You my friend are a liar, it was a complete fabrication. Anyone with the slightest decency would apologize , probably offering some excuse about confusiion with another poster.,but not you. Just dig deeper, blame others and carry on putting folk down.
Apologise OG. It was a complete lie.
BTW, I dont have a profile to withhold on here. I, m not publishing anything on here, or anywhere on internet, where my identity is known. Anyone who does is foolish these days. A poster was threatened on this very thread.
You dont need to know a posters identity, lifestyle, address or anything to discuss opinions.Unless, like you, posters have inferioty complexes and feel a need to spout about achievements.
But, I, m not sure how being a toilet salesman/fitter/engineer qualifies anybody to be such an offensive know it all.
Careful I haven't finished looking yet

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Not always madness, it would be mad of me not to use the best. I really can't be bothered going though all that Aldi and Lidl sell to find out what's good and what's not, since price is irrelevant to me, and I don't want to do multiple part shops. I don't even know what I pay for most items since I never look at the prices, just buying what I want, which is the best of everything.

So I use a very large Sainsbury's over five miles away that has a vast range of everything in stock , rather than my local mid sized Sainsburys under two miles distant which often hasn't. This pattern of behaviour is surely the benefit of having more than enough money, there's no point in having money otherwise, if not to better life.
We have a Marks & Spencer’s food store very close to us. We always shop there because whatever it is you buy, it always tastes that bit better. Like you, I can’t spare the time researching Aldi / Lidl.

One surprise I have noticed is the Co Op. They have raised their standards and I think they use the same suppliers as M & S for quite a bit of their food. Prices are similar to M & S but if you get yourself a Totum card via the Student Union, you receive a 10% discount.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Just put your Aldi shopping in a M&S bag and it will taste the same. :p :p :p
Watched a TV program last week, Half a dozen food snobs round a table.. they thought the only thing from Aldi was the Potatoes ….Turns out everything was including the Champagne.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How flecc can disagree with that I can only guess. Which part is incorrect Flecc.?
"I recall you saying" you saw the possibility of doing some neat deals"".
A complete lie. Fact.
Not so, and I will trace the conversation, if there hadn't been a rebuke from me to you involved why would such an innocuous remark cause an extreme reaction from you?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Actually it's costing jobs, so not good news.

Plus for Aldi is minus for Sainsburys, so some sort of balance there. But Aldi and Lidl work with less staff in many ways to do the job, so costing jobs overall.

For example, Lidl insisting drivers from other companies delivering to them must unload their own trucks and put the stock away correctly into their supermarket warehouse section. Either that or the company loses their business.

And checkout staff have to work at much higher speed using multiple barcode locations on their goods, meaning less checkout staff for a given throughput.

Not saying this is all bad, just sticking to the facts.
[/

If you are happier to pay more for the same then crack on.

That's what keeps them in business I guess.

I have seen the light though. When fresh fruit and veg costs 59% to 70% less and the same with bread, nappies and other essentials then I know where I would rather shop.

Brexit is going to bankrupt us all. So time to start saving those pennies

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bojo's trip to Luxembourg didn't do too well.
The Pound drops a fair bit in response.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you are happier to pay more for the same then crack on.
But as you acknowledged, it's not all the same. It's not only about better quality on the items the discounters aren't so good on, I'm also shopping from a vast range of quality goods that the discounters could only dream of stocking.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But as you acknowledged, it's not all the same. It's not only about better quality on the items the discounters aren't so good on, I'm also shopping from a vast range of quality goods that the discounters could only dream of stocking.
Look this is really going off topic, .The original comment was a slur on two very competitive and competent retail chains. Yes I have been in big M&S shops and the range of groceries,in own brand variants is staggering, and they are wonderful..but expensive.

Advertisers