Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are deliberately difficult even when you speak French. Particularly with regards to technical language and medical terms. French is a ridiculous & limited language anyway, they don’t have enough words to cope with the modern world. It’s time it was scrapped in favour of a versatile language such as English.
I've long taken this point of view with all languages, almost all belong only in a historic world.

The world has been increasingly global for centuries and is now almost entirely a single global unit so needs and should have a global language. The internet has produced that de facto global language and it is English.

The sooner all countries in the world accept that, the better. It's inexorably happening anyway so as the saying goes, resistance is futile.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
50Hz is not exactly a fan of the French and that's putting it mildly. I tend to take what he says about them with a rather large pinch of salt.

I would quite like to see him trapped on a French speaking island for a month having to share a house with Laura Kuenssburg and Nicola Sturgeon. He would come back from it a far better man!!!!!
.. and with a realisation that sometimes the best goods come in small parcels..

Reactions: flecc and Nev

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
They are deliberately difficult even when you speak French. Particularly with regards to technical language and medical terms. French is a ridiculous & limited language anyway, they don’t have enough words to cope with the modern world. It’s time it was scrapped in favour of a versatile language such as English.
On the contrary. There is an internal logic in French nouns which defeat s the English language. Taking just a few examples.. in French the modern TV is not digital it is numerical ,bytes are octals . And so it continues. Students in French schools learn logic and mathematics at levels beyond that of the English schools .If anything ,one might accuse the French of is an over reliance on systematic thinking and inflexibility.

Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just found something remarkable appropriate from the past

The Zinoviev letter was a fraudulent document published by the British Daily Mail newspaper four days before the general election in 1924. ... It said the resumption of diplomatic relations (by a Labour government) would hasten the radicalisation of the British working class.
Only that time the population weren't stupid enough to vote Conservative and the Ramsay McDonald Labour Government were elected

The Daily Mail was as big a Tory rag back then as it is today. and employed dirty tricks too

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
On the contrary. There is an internal logic in French nouns which defeat s the English language. Taking just a few examples.. in French the modern TV is not digital it is numerical ,bytes are octals . And so it continues.
That’s rubbish and it’s irrelevant to what is being discussed. You are just quoting an alternative unique word for a unique word which already exists in English. And besides, Octal already has an English meaning, it’s a base 8 counting system.

The inescapable fact is that the French language does not have as many words as the English language. Fact. Therefore it cannot be as rich, creative and as expressive as English.

If you go into a French restaurant and ask for a serviette, you don’t know if you’ll get a napkin or briefcase dumped into your lap. That’s how short on words they are.

Students in French schools learn logic and mathematics at levels beyond that of the English schools .If anything ,one might accuse the French of is an over reliance on systematic thinking and inflexibility.
Again, this boils down to your references. Perhaps compared to the school you attended, mathematics is more advanced in France.

Last edited:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I've long taken this point of view with all languages, almost all belong only in a historic world.

The world has been increasingly global for centuries and is now almost entirely a single global unit so needs and should have a global language. The internet has produced that de facto global language and it is English.

The sooner all countries in the world accept that, the better. It's inexorably happening anyway so as the saying goes, resistance is futile.
Out of curiosity, I was looking at Esperanto the other day. It’s surprisingly logical and I could see it being an easy language to learn.

I think English will become more dominant for reasons you highlight. Also English is the international Radio Telephony language for all commercial flight throughout the world.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Out of curiosity, I was looking at Esperanto the other day. It’s surprisingly logical and I could see it being an easy language to learn.

I think English will become more dominant for reasons you highlight. Also English is the international Radio Telephony language for all commercial flight throughout the world.
Thinks its the language of all Navigation...

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Also English is the international Radio Telephony language for all commercial flight throughout the world.
Indeed, we have to communicate in English anyway in many key areas. I've noticed in snatches of video how the MEPs of various countries in Brussels so often speak with each other in English, simply because they cannot know all of each other's languages.

Even the famously multi-lingual Jean Paul Junker mostly uses English when meeting his equals in Brussels.

French is a close runner up and the UN assembly uses French as the intermediate language of translation. Perhaps little wonder that we have so little international agreement. By the time everyone's speech has gone through three languages the received message is probably starting to resemble Chinese Whispers!

• :D
Reactions: 50Hertz

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Theres a much higher incidence of dyslexia amongst english speakers because it's not a phonetic language. It mirrors something of the Anglo saxons unfortunate state of emotional dissociation. And accounts for the knots they tie themselves into. Also politically, as with brexit. It doesnt make for good intuitive decision making

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Theres a much higher incidence of dyslexia amongst english speakers because it's not a phonetic language. It mirrors something of the Anglo saxons unfortunate state of emotional dissociation. And accounts for the knots they tie themselves into. Also politically, as with brexit. It doesnt make for good intuitive decision making
I’m sure that makes all sorts of sense to someone somewhere on the planet. That someone isn’t me though. Soz.

Reactions: Zlatan

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Theres a much higher incidence of dyslexia amongst english speakers because it's not a phonetic language.
I have to disagree with that since the "word blindness" is most obvious in seeing the written word, any phonetic interpretive element being minor. The attempts in recent decades to teach English phonetically are demonstrably very unsuccessful as today's texting shows. All it's achieving is the loss of our language's richness and versatility, both very undesirable.

In my long life it's been most apparent that dyslexia is directly related to the reduction of educational discipline, this lead by the English speaking nations. Dyslexia was scarcely apparent when I was young when any sign of it was painfully dealt with. The same with poor spelling, corporal punishment being used even at all primary levels.

That doesn't mean I advocate beating children, it just means we have to correctly identify causes and create appropriate corrections, rather than constantly invent new terms for imaginary conditions and accept they exist.

• Informative
Reactions: 50Hertz

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
That doesn't mean I advocate beating children, it just means we have to correctly identify causes and create appropriate corrections, rather than constantly invent new terms for imaginary conditions and accept they exist.
ADHD is another. That’s just a term invented to excuse misbehaving children. I think ADHD can be cured with a strict discipline & clearly defined standards with real consequences if breached.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I have to disagree with that since the "word blindness" is most obvious in seeing the written word, any phonetic interpretive element being minor. The attempts in recent decades to teach English phonetically are demonstrably very unsuccessful as today's texting shows. All it's achieving is the loss of our language's richness and versatility, both very undesirable.

In my long life it's been most apparent that dyslexia is directly related to the reduction of educational discipline, this lead by the English speaking nations. Dyslexia was scarcely apparent when I was young when any sign of it was painfully dealt with. The same with poor spelling, corporal punishment being used even at all primary levels.

See Eraldo Paulescu's research (he knows more about dyslexia on a bad day than all of us on the thread together)

• Disagree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Very funny. At least he doesnt have to endure 5 years with a complete fukwit like boris at the helm
Five, you are being optimistic. You watched Labour lately. He, ll do ten at least.
The dislecksic blowk is "Paulesu". There, s no "C" in his name... I, ll not say it. Too obvious, and its Christmas.
And Boris is a proper noun. So needs a capital.

Advertisers