Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It will probably be way higher than 80% charging at home.

With the newer generation of e-cars having from 220 to well over 300 miles range and very few drivers ever exceeding those daily, the ultra rapid charger use will be minimal. That's especially true since even when used, it's likely to be only for a quick small top up to get home near the end of a long journey.

Those who know they will be regularly doing very long runs will probably be buying from the 500 mile range e-cars anyway.
Is your LEAF the 40 or 60 kWh battery?

Regarding the range figures, how much power would it take to propel a LEAF along the motorway at 70 mph? Assume a level road, constant speed, no headwind etc. I'm thinking it would be more than 19 kW, which it would need to be in order to achieve the 220 miles range. My road condition scenario is very favourable too.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have no idea if he is a highly qualified engineer, who initially commenced his studies in Portugal because his language skills were Portuguese based, but when the funding ran out he became marooned. Woosh's summary doesn't give that level of detail.

We can only work with what we know. He's from Brazil, he drives a lorry and he prefers the UK to Portugal because the benefits system is more generous here in the UK. Thats's where the information provided begins and ends. We can't start embellishing the story with fabricated information in order to make it fit our particular outlook.
Not suggesting he was an Engineer, the "University without Borders" scheme was open to a wide range of disciplines. The quoted duration in Portugal is consistent with that cohort . The nett effect ,in any event ,is that the UK has benefited in getting a fully formed worker without any investment. If the cost of that is the illusion that he is entitled to benefits, why the objections?.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I rather liked this one in the New European
"
Brexiteer MP says UK should mark Brexit with fireworks display 'so big it can be seen from France'

And I tweeted this response
Replying to @TheNewEuropean

He's not called Guy Fawkes by any chance is he?:cool:

Reactions: flecc

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Not suggesting he was an Engineer, the "University without Borders" scheme was open to a wide range of disciplines. The quoted duration in Portugal is consistent with that cohort . The nett effect ,in any event ,is that the UK has benefited in getting a fully formed worker without any investment. If the cost of that is the illusion that he is entitled to benefits, why the objections?.
He's from Brazil, he drives a lorry, he prefers the UK to Portugal because our benefits system is more generous. Not a sound basis to live here.

Personally, I'd prefer him to stay in Portugal or Brazil and for someone else to come here, based what they can offer and contribute, and to take his place. In other words, someone not eying up the UK benefits system.

Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is your LEAF the 40 or 60 kWh battery?

Regarding the range figures, how much power would it take to propel a LEAF along the motorway at 70 mph? Assume a level road, constant speed, no headwind etc. I'm thinking it would be more than 19 kW, which it would need to be in order to achieve the 220 miles range. My road condition scenario is very favourable too.
Mine is the 40 kWh with a genuine 168 mile WLTP range.

The 63kWh Leaf with 220 mile WLTP range was only a limited edition of 1500 cars, I suspect as much as anything a battery field trial since they've said the 63 might become a future battery.

As for consumption on an e-car like the Leaf, it varies considerably due to low temperature affecting the battery and the heating also using more current then. My driving in Summer is typically at around 4.2 to 4.4 miles per kWh, mostly in urban/suburban conditions. I'd obviously get more in less heavy traffic.

In winter in the coldest periods that can drop to about 3.2 miles per kWh, but I'm not a good example. Suffering from Reynaud's syndrome and with poor circulation due to a heart condition, I feel the cold far more than most. Accordingly in Winter I keep the car interior temperature quite high and have the steering wheel heating on all the time.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, not really in those circumstances. It's like me going to France and asking them to give me some money out of the French people's pockets. I wouldn't dream of doing that, it would be outrageous.
The EU's been doing that for years. I think that helped to prompt Brexit.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Is 69p a reasonable cost given the investment made installing the kit and supplying it with electicity, maintenance, etc.?

Or is it gouging?

And is there anything stopping them putting the prices up even more? (Other than competitive pressure. But we know the theory of competion versus the actualy cost of fuel at motorway services - i.e. when you become a distress customer.)

On the two cars I regularly drive, I would be shocked to get only 29 mpg. One manages around 50 mpg on a decent run, the other 60 mpg (with care).
I would suspect that as good capitalists, they will charge what the market will take. Look at the immediate cost for a channel tunnel crossing today,as opposed to in a weeks time . If I had a home charger and envisaged going from London to Cornwall, for a wedding I would be prepared to pay the high price for a once off, just like I would pay 160 quid for a replacement tyre after a motorway blowout. I also suspect that they will have frequent traveler discounts,aimed at commercial travellers etc.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I rather liked this one in the New European
"
Brexiteer MP says UK should mark Brexit with fireworks display 'so big it can be seen from France'

And I tweeted this response
Replying to @TheNewEuropean

He's not called Guy Fawkes by any chance is he?:cool:
I remember being astonished that people in southern England could hear the heavy artillery in France during the first world war. (Seems obvious now, but as a schoolkid, it was a bit of a surprise.)

Don't we have enough pollution to deal with already? Fireworks can be nasty - perchlorate, copper, strontium, barium, lead, etc., smoke, the effects on animals - plus disposal of the waste.

(Our poor pussycat can become very anxious during firework displays in the area. She is much better than she was but there is no way would would leave her on her own if we know of any planned. Other animals are not so fortunate to have people to comfort and look after them.)

• Agree

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Front page news Boris now wants to give the poorer people tax cuts.
What logic is there in doing that at this critical moment in time?
And he was voted in as the safest alternative?

Here is a man who is trying to sweeten the voters and gain popularity as a cynical ploy when caution and circumspection are absolutely the only sensible way to proceed.
Like his moron adviser Boris is dangerous to the future of the economy.
Squandering resources is a lunatic policy at this time.

Surely to give the poorest more money is a good thing?

I can't stand Johnson but if he does something good surely it's to be applauded?

Lose the hate G.

Anyway. I hope everyone is well. I am well settled in my Brexit house. St Neots is amazing. So friendly. It's perfect. I am not missing Crouch End at all. The commute is fine. Just had a pay rise from one of my clients so the journey is now free.

Baby is great if a but cryey.

I'm afraid I have an admission to make. I gave away my g tech. The move was that bad I couldn't take it.

I have purchased a second hand Claud Butler. No power assist. But tbf I don't need it anymore.

Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I remember being astonished that people in southern England could hear the heavy artillery in France during the first world war. (Seems obvious now, but as a schoolkid, it was a bit of a surprise.)

Don't we have enough pollution to deal with already? Fireworks can be nasty - perchlorate, copper, strontium, barium, lead, etc., smoke, the effects on animals - plus disposal of the waste.

(Our poor pussycat can become very anxious during firework displays in the area. She is much better than she was but there is no way would would leave her on her own if we know of any planned. Other animals are not so fortunate to have people to comfort and look after them.)
I think your cat and worries about perchlorate and other things will be OK if they just use massive rockets fired across the channel to France. I wonder if they could make them big enough to reach Brussels without starting a war.

• :D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think your cat and worries about perchlorate and other things will be OK if they just use massive rockets fired across the channel to France. I wonder if they could make them big enough to reach Brussels without starting a war.
Unfortunately, many rockets use perchlorate. Including space shuttle solid rocket boosters, military munitions and fireworks. The area around the launch site, the atmosphere and the landing areas all get polluted. As well as all water courses traversed.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
When was the last time you saw a Wimpey Bar? They still have one in the parade of shops adjacent to the bus station in Basildon town centre. It's been there 70 years. Every other shop in the parade has changed during that time.
I was in a Wimpy last week up in Dingwall. It's like stepping back to the 70s. It was great. ;)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I was in a Wimpy last week up in Dingwall. It's like stepping back to the 70s. It was great. ;)
Whenever anyone mentions Wimpy, I get a mind's eye vision of the bright red, tomato-shaped ketchup dispensers. Complete with an encrustation of dried, congealed ancient ketchup.

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Today's big lie
"
Boris Johnson claims to have reached the 'Brexit finish line'

In other words he's finished with it, it everyone else's fault when anything that goes wrong from now on.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

Advertisers