Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
£600 Billion infrastructure spending announced in the budget. Guess what? There is no plan or any detail regarding how. Didn’t you just know it. What a bunch of *****.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
it's difficult to see when this crisis will be over.
The NHS tested about 30,000 people, found about 1% of those tested with the virus.
That could mean that as much as 1% of the population can be spreaders.

The real long term problem for people in our age group is re-infection. You can get infected, beat it then later on, when your immune system goes through a rough patch, the virus may wake up and spread.
Well remaining optimistic here, if such re awakening happens at all it would most likely be down stream when there isn't such peak demand on healthcare, being less widespread it would be more manageable.

Whilst that impact might be significant, even fatal to the individual wont future flu vaccinations eventually include this and so reduce the impact of such re awakening to the wider population?

We may be dealing with covid-232 by then.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Whilst that impact might be significant, even fatal to the individual wont future flu vaccinations eventually include this and so reduce the impact of such re awakening to the wider population?
if I understand correctly, the corona virus that spreads is a mild form, it does not kill its hosts.
When it invades a new host, depending on the genetic makeup of the new host, it goes through a mutation. This is when about 2% may die from the mutated virus.

we still have a window of 2-4 years from now when the first vaccine may not work well.

Apparently, some firm in London offers young and fit volunteers £3,500 a jab to act as human test subjects for the new vaccine.

• Informative
Reactions: gw8izr

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
£600 Billion infrastructure spending announced in the budget. Guess what? There is no plan or any detail regarding how. Didn’t you just know it. What a bunch of *****.
I am listening Sunak's speech in the HoC at the moment.
He impresses me.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Interesting step by the EU.

EU plans 'right to repair' rules for phones and tablets
European commission says linear growth model of ‘take, make, use, discard’ has reached limit

I wonder if the UK will end up accepting non-repairable items which cannot be sold in the EU?

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Interesting step by the EU.

EU plans 'right to repair' rules for phones and tablets
European commission says linear growth model of ‘take, make, use, discard’ has reached limit

I wonder if the UK will end up accepting non-repairable items which cannot be sold in the EU?
Its got the makings of useful change in attitude, some manufacturers were discussing this several years ago before I retired and it was actually seen as a positive step, in a competitive consumer market you can imagine why they would want to do that. Europe is now following on from the American initiative.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am listening Sunak's speech in the HoC at the moment.
He impresses me.
I agree, but as I listened it was clear that this was a justification for Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonald since it was the Labour budget they intended. Very large expenditure on boosting the economy, on investment to do that, on public services and the NHS and on support for all the disavantaged, whether business or individual.

Corbyn was gambling that the economy would grow enough to limit the borrowing necessary and Rishi Sunak is gambling the same.

It could be a great success if we are lucky and it does, but if we are not it will be a disaster that will cost us dear for decades.

N.B. This post is certified clear of the coronavirus and can be safely read.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I noticed that Mr Corbyn sounded like he was struggling to control his voice, hopefully just a cold or something.

n.b. if he was in a queue at Tesco I'd be changing lane.....

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I noticed that Mr Corbyn sounded like he was struggling to control his voice, hopefully just a cold or something.

n.b. if he was in a queue at Tesco I'd be changing lane.....
Hearing Tory Sunak delivering his proposed Labour budget probably made him feel sick.

Reactions: Nev and Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
if I understand correctly, the corona virus that spreads is a mild form, it does not kill its hosts.
When it invades a new host, depending on the genetic makeup of the new host, it goes through a mutation. This is when about 2% may die from the mutated virus.

we still have a window of 2-4 years from now when the first vaccine may not work well.

Apparently, some firm in London offers young and fit volunteers £3,500 a jab to act as human test subjects for the new vaccine.
By Easter 70% of the population will be infected in UK and Germany (according to experts quoted in the independent). It will probably mean 3 million deaths (but on the plus side really cheap weekends in sardinia)
Edit for sake of accuracy "half of cases will be diagnosed in uk by Easter and Merkel quote experts saying 70% of german population will eventually become infected and that since there isn't a cure slowing the rate of infection is key". But I have a hunch the reality is worse than official stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm half Italian from Piedmont in the locked down North which is the centre of the infection of that country. So looks like my genes aren't ideal for escaping it.

But at my age I'm not bothered, Asrael is already hanging around the back door on the offchance.

Reactions: Woosh and gw8izr

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I'm half Italian from Piedmont in the locked down North which is the centre of the infection of that country. So looks like my genes aren't ideal for escaping it.

But at my age I'm not bothered, Asrael is already hanging around the back door on the offchance.
I had to google that, is the same as Azrael ? If so check your name isn’t misspelled on his list, you might get a few weeks while it’s re printed.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am taking all the precautions: open the shop to the public only on appointments, prepare for all essential staff to work in isolation, one room per person, wear disposable daily face masks when meeting in the same room, keep windows open for extra ventilation.
The idea is the virus particles can be suspended in the air for minutes after someone open their mouth, we have to wait for them to drop to carpets or stick to the walls.
It's occurred that I'm yet to see anyone wearing any form of face mask. The supermarket I use is one of the largest with hordes of customers and the roads I drive on are frequently packed with pedestrians in the retail areas. There's also many educational establishments, primary, secondary and college which have been coming out as I've passed by, but not a single mask on any parent, child or student.

Clearly this area of South London and North East Surrey isn't at all worried.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I had to google that, is the same as Azrael ? If so check your name isn’t misspelled on his list, you might get a few weeks while it’s re printed.
One and the same Angel of death in Islam and some Hebrew traditions, both spellings used. Most commonly come across in classical music thanks to Josef Suk's Asrael symphony where "s" is used.

• Informative
Reactions: gw8izr

Advertisers