Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Responding to the Matt Mathews announcement

oldgroaner @oldgroaner
Correction "I know how much those shielding have sacrificed. Thank you to everyone who has protected our NHS & saved lives, but now it is time for you to make the ultimate sacrifice to protect Horse Racing and the economy"

Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The vulnerable self shielding can go out now, can they?
My response
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Here's a useful tip, give this Government advice the sort of trust a Turkey would had it received an invitation to Christmas Dinner in the Farmhouse.

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The vulnerable self shielding can go out now, can they?
My response
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Here's a useful tip, give this Government advice the sort of trust a Turkey would had it received an invitation to Christmas Dinner in the Farmhouse.
They keep saying this but, of course, the vulnerable have always been able to go out. It has always been their choice whether or not to abide by the guidelines (unless they are unable to do so by themsleves).

And, for people lucky enough to have reasonable or larger gardens, where you can keep away from edges, I have yet to see any reason for not going out into them. We are now being told in headlines that transmission is much lower outdoors - so it might have been better advice to get out as much as possible. Avoid the front door and things being delivered and others coming back from work, shopping, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Ever felt ignored and disenfranchised?

MPs furious about forced return of ‘physical voting’ to Commons

Elderly members or those with health conditions fear they will be disenfranchised by the move, which ends remote participation

I end up hoping that JRM and the baying tories all go down with it leaving the others to pass whatever legislation they can get through while the tories are unable to vote.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The future looks bright - with this and the state-of-the-art app.

You missed out world-beating.

(I see no need for a system which only applies within the UK to beat anyone else, anywhere else. Just needs to be good enough even if it is identical or marginally less good than other systems which don't apply here.)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We are now being told in headlines that transmission is much lower outdoors - so it might have been better advice to get out as much as possible. Avoid the front door and things being delivered and others coming back from work, shopping, etc.
I've been saying and practicing this all along, outdoors in countryside is the healthiest place, even if it means driving a short way to it.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
You missed out world-beating.

(I see no need for a system which only applies within the UK to beat anyone else, anywhere else. Just needs to be good enough even if it is identical or marginally less good than other systems which don't apply here.)
KS said something similar to BJ during PMs questions. When Boris came out with the the world beating statement, KS immediately said something along the lines of it did not have to be world beating it just needed to work.

I don't think we have the culture or the legal framework (and I don't think we would want it either) to have a world beating system.

I think there has been too much of these bull sugar statements from BJ and other minsters about us having the worlds best this and the worlds best that. If you look at some of the countries in Europe that have the least amount of deaths per capita, they haven't considered themselves to have the worlds best anything, they just looked at what was happening in China and Italy and immediately locked down. Often before they had either any, or very few cases of Covid in their country.

I suspect we and by this I mean the Government and many of the Sage advisors believed their own rhetoric about how fantastic our systems were at copying with a pandemic, and as a consequence were at least two weeks too slow in going into lock down.

I've mentioned it before but will repeat it once again. Rory Steward was advocation locking down at least a fortnight (perhaps even more than that) before we actually did. This was because he had some experience of pandemics from over seas. Had we done so I think there would have been 10s of thousands fewer deaths in this country and we probably would have been out of lockdown weeks ago with much less damage to our economy.

I think we are going to have the highest excess death rate in Europe and the worst damage to our economy.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
KS said something similar to BJ during PMs questions. When Boris came out with the the world beating statement, KS immediately said something along the lines of it did not have to be world beating it just needed to work.

I don't think we have the culture or the legal framework (and I don't think we would want it either) to have a world beating system.

I think there has been too much of these bull sugar statements from BJ and other minsters about us having the worlds best this and the worlds best that. If you look at some of the countries in Europe that have the least amount of deaths per capita, they haven't considered themselves to have the worlds best anything, they just looked at what was happening in China and Italy and immediately locked down. Often before they had either any, or very few cases of Covid in their country.

I suspect we and by this I mean the Government and many of the Sage advisors believed their own rhetoric about how fantastic our systems were at copying with a pandemic, and as a consequence were at least two weeks too slow in going into lock down.

I've mentioned it before but will repeat it once again. Rory Steward was advocation locking down at least a fortnight (perhaps even more than that) before we actually did. This was because he had some experience of pandemics from over seas. Had we done so I think there would have been 10s of thousands fewer deaths in this country and we probably would have been out of lockdown weeks ago with much less damage to our economy.

I think we are going to have the highest excess death rate in Europe and the worst damage to our economy.
I doubt that the SAGE advisory committee biologists gave that advice. I suspect that the newer fanciful Social Scientists , behavioural analysts and economists were given more weight.
As I reported a few times earlier, there was palpable anger and dispair with the decision to run Cheltenham, in this neighbouring island. We might have even acted earlier had we a government... We had had elections in January and were in the process of building a new government,with the old cabinet in a caretaker capacity. But fair play, they did act from 10 th March.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rory Stewart was advocation locking down at least a fortnight (perhaps even more than that) before we actually did. This was because he had some experience of pandemics from over seas.
Rory Stewart was my choice for Prime Minister, so if we'd had him instead of being saddled with Boris Johnston we'd have had instant action on PPE, testing and lockdown.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

They are constantly overpromising and underdelivering. Every single thing they promised they have fallen short on. Actually, be fair they did promise 20K deaths and have actually delivered us 60K, but that is the exception to the rule, they have fallen well short on everything else.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

At the moment ,the UK has the second highest official deaths in the known world, and since not everthng is recorded promptly, probably the highest per capita in Europe. Since the current leader is the USA ,and it has 5 times the population and as yet only three times the official numbers ,it is a world leading statistic. Now Brazil is the new kid on the block, and is making great headway,after a late start. So a finish in the top three is likely.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and Woosh

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
" They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one;
they promised to take our people, and they took them ".

Chief Red Cloud...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
At the moment ,the UK has the second highest official deaths in the known world, and since not everthng is recorded promptly, probably the highest per capita in Europe. Since the current leader is the USA ,and it has 5 times the population and as yet only three times the official numbers ,it is a world leading statistic. Now Brazil is the new kid on the block, and is making great headway,after a late start. So a finish in the top three is likely.
Certainly not highest per capita in Europe according to
Way behind Belgium: though they are probably counting more completely.

Certainly Brazil will be interesting, and Tanzania. Both have leaders even less responsible than Trump. Statistics from these will be extremely questionable though.

• Informative

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Was going to reply to a post but it's disappeared...odd. I know you can edit a post but can you delete one too ?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
At the moment ,the UK has the second highest official deaths in the known world, and since not everthng is recorded promptly, probably the highest per capita in Europe.
Take England out of the equation and lets see how the rest of the UK have fared?
N.Ireland would have the lowest figures per capita in all of the British Isles, and would have been even better had the Irish gov taken it upon themselves to shut down Dublin Airport to international passengers who then were allowed to cross the border.... all of those should have been quarantined for 14 days in the nearest facility.

also...
Sweden’s coronavirus experiment has well and truly failed

The country gained early praise from some for shunning lockdown, but it now has one of the highest per-capita rates of coronavirus death in the world

More than 4,000 people have died in a country of ten million. For seven of the last 14 days, Sweden has had the highest number of deaths per capita in the world.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Was going to reply to a post but it's disappeared...odd. I know you can edit a post but can you delete one too ?
Yes, For the first 24 hours after making a post there's both a Delete and Edit buttons available. One can't delete a post that starts a thread though.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and RossG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sweden’s coronavirus experiment has well and truly failed

More than 4,000 people have died in a country of ten million.
Still over 30% lower than the UK though.

And they haven't had a huge economic and lifestyle hit.

• Informative

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Govt fiddling the figures - figures...

The government says it has reached its target to increase testing capacity to 200,000 per day by the end of May - its figure for Saturday was 205,634.

That means the various labs doing tests say they could handle that number of tests. The actual number of tests being done is a lot lower than that (115,000 on Saturday).

Even in capacity terms, the government was a long way short of its target last week - on Thursday its capacity was about 165,000.

Then on Friday and Saturday it was boosted by an extra 40,000 in testing capacity. This is for antibody tests that tell if people have had the virus before rather than if they have the virus now. They will primarily be used on healthcare staff at first.

But the government’s figures say that the actual number of these tests that have been processed so far is 0.

Is his balloon head full of laughing gas?

Advertisers