Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Lies, lies, lies, and more lies. The paperwork requirements inevitably hinder GB/NI trade.

Steve Baker, a Conservative, says we must get Brexit done. Can the PM confirm the Northern Irish protocol won’t stop the UK applying whole-UK tariffs?
Johnson says the protocol won’t lead to anything hindering GB/NI trade.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Blame the staff, of course.

Hillingdon hospital boss blames staff for A&E closure after Covid-19 outbreak
Exclusive: Sarah Tedford issues letter saying outbreak was because some staff were not wearing masks, as 70 workers self-isolate
The hospital which serves Boris Johnson’s constituency has shut its A&E unit after an outbreak of coronavirus, with its chief executive blaming staff for flouting rules by not wearing a mask at work.

Note that this issue was known on Friday 03/07, but didn't get publicity until today. Johnson's constituency. I wonder why...

And just who is responsible for making sure the staff do as they are told?

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Exclusive: Sarah Tedford issues letter saying outbreak was because some staff were not wearing masks, as 70 workers self-isolate
The hospital which serves Boris Johnson’s constituency has shut its A&E unit after an outbreak of coronavirus, with its chief executive blaming staff for flouting rules by not wearing a mask at work.

Note that this issue was known on Friday 03/07, but didn't get publicity until today. Johnson's constituency. I wonder why...

Because the boss was doing a "Boris"?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yet another U-turn...

The chancellor, Rishi Sunak, has reversed a decision to force workers to pay income tax on Covid-19 tests purchased by their employers.

HMRC guidance published this week stated that workers would face a taxable benefit in kind when their employer pays for coronavirus testing, meaning a reduction in take-home pay.

If it had just been how things were because historical rules said so, well, I can understand. Up to a point. But to have published it this week shows the usual inability to think.

(Just wondering, a few years ago, I had a mandatory company medical. Should I have paid tax on that? It did include a cholesterol test.)

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
A pupil at at Leesland C of E Infant School, in Whitworth Road, Gosport Hampshire has had a confirmed Covid-19 diagnosis.

How does it go...Luckily kids are safe, they never get it.

• Informative

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
When I watched PMQs I couldn’t help wondering just how much faith our MPs place in the social distancing guidelines they have issued to the public. They want us to sit shoulder to shoulder whilst filling the cash registers of bars and restaurants, yet they won’t go anywhere near their own place of work, the HoC. When they do attend the HoC, they seem to have adopted 6 - 10 metres as their own social distancing rule, but want us to cram in at 1 metre. Why is that? Why don’t they lead by resuming business as norma? Something doesn’t smell right.

Last edited:
  • Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When I watched PMQs I couldn’t help wondering just how much faith our MPs place in the social distancing guidelines. They want us to sit shoulder to shoulder whilst filling the tills of bars and restaurant, yet they won’t go anywhere near their own place of work, the HoC. They seem to have adopted 6 metres + as their social distancing, but want us at 1 metre. Something doesn’t smell right.
MPs' armpits?

Reactions: RossG

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Just had a parcel delivered by courier, chap wouldn't come in the building had to go outside to him to collect it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just had a parcel delivered by courier, chap wouldn't come in the building had to go outside to him to collect it.
Most of our delivery people are very sensible - something like put it on the mat, ring the bell and walk off. They do look back to check you are taking it in! (Have to say, most of them are friendly, efficient and sensible. Unlike where I used to live.)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Same here but just now and again they take it to the limit. Just had a shopping delivery from Ocado, the guy asked to see my face at the door because he was dropping off beer (it was non-alcohol stuff) :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: flecc and oyster

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Lest we forget
Records:132550
Confirmed deaths (absolute)Population (in millions)Deaths per million
Belgium9,74711.42853.35
United Kingdom43,73066.49657.7
Spain28,35546.72606.86
Italy34,76760.43575.31
Sweden5,33310.18523.71
France29,77766.99444.52
USA127,244327.17388.93
Ireland1,7364.85357.68
Netherlands6,11317.23354.77
Chile5,68818.73303.7
Peru9,67731.99302.51
Brazil59,594209.47284.5

• Informative

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Ten thousand million pounds spent on the track & trace system so far, and it still isn’t working. No app and a very high percentage of contacts not being traced.

I was going to say something about Baroness Dildo still being in charge, but what is there to say? What’s the point? In this country, it would only result in another muppet being given the job if she was booted out. She may as well carry on and wait for Handcock to garnish her cake with the overpromised cherry.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Sorry, I can’t get over the ten thousand million pounds spent on track & trace. Where has all that money gone? If they have 25000 tracers, that’s 400 Grand each! I know there is infrastructure and set up costs to take into account, but I can’t comprehend where all that cheese has gone. The majority has to be in fees and wages, there is very little in “raw material” costs. Someone must be getting filthy rich on the back of all this death and suffering, and it isn’t the £12 / hour contact tracers.

PPE spend is fifteen thousand million pounds, I haven’t started thinking about that yet.

What sort of a job are these people going to make of Brexit.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What sort of a job are these people going to make of Brexit.
none of the arch-brexiters is known for fiscal prudence or educated in macro-economics and they are driving the family car to the cliff edge.
They may be OK to run a corner shop but not a modern economy where everything is regulated. In their imagination, Singapore is heaven on earth. It's not.
Their instinct is to return this country to a land of the corner shops and paper boys.
When the going gets rough, they go shake that magic money tree a little and solve the immediate problem that way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A pupil at at Leesland C of E Infant School, in Whitworth Road, Gosport Hampshire has had a confirmed Covid-19 diagnosis.

How does it go...Luckily kids are safe, they never get it.
They almost never get it, the risk so low it's considered negligible.

But I've no doubt that a very few kids are in some way compromised so more vulnerable, not all young kids being perfectly fit and healthy though they might appear to be. I remember the case of a youngster who in a neighbouring family who always seemed fine over the years but didn't grow in stature as well as expected. It was only then it was discovered he'd always had a hole in the heart condition.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They almost never get it, the risk so low it's considered negligible.

But I've no doubt that a very few kids are in some way compromised so more vulnerable, not all young kids being perfectly fit and healthy though they might appear to be. I remember the case of a youngster who in a neighbouring family who always seemed fine over the years but didn't grow in stature as well as expected. It was only then it was discovered he'd always had a hole in the heart condition.
I thought the issue was more the transmission in the first place to that child, then on to others (children and adults - within and without the school).

We do not (yet?) know where this child became infected.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

It's a nonsense anyway. London as you know has a very low rate after being hit hard early, but for some while there have been two exceptions. One is the narrow eastern fringe where it meets Kent and South Essex which have much higher rates, so obviously vulnerable to transfer.

The other is Hillingdon bordered by Heathrow airport and where many thousands of Hillingdon residents work in every kind of job. And what's been happening at Heathrow? It's where all those many thousands of people have been flying in from many Corona hotspots like Italy of course, then interfacing with those Hillingdon employees.

I often wonder how obvious something has to be before it is recognised.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Advertisers