Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Just heard an interesting theory on the wireless. Is the Spanish quarantine saga a Cummings warning shot at Spain. Don’t put Gibraltar on the trade negotiations table etc.

This theory has credibility. It’s in the Cummings style, it has a Johnny Foreigner flavour to it and it kind of shifts blame from the U.K. government to Spain’s. It’s Spain’s fault you can’t go on holiday. But the reality is that their overall infection and death rate is better than ours.

This theory makes more sense than our own government’s explanation.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's strange how one tends to forget what it was like not all that long ago. I left school and started working full time in 1975, and most people where I worked didn't retire at 65, they either died or went earlier due to extreme ill health, and we would be going to their funerals within a year or to after they had left.

Most of them did smoke however, I seem to remember there was a brand Capstan full strength or something similar that many of them smoked. That brand must have killed hundreds of thousands of people over the years.
About a year before , I myself retired, I organised the retirement for a colleague , who had been in Engineering all his life..sometimes in the UK and latterly in Ireland. During our discussion he ,made the comment that he was the first member of his family to SURVIVE to 65.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
My first job working Sat part time as student at Sainsburys gave me an introduction to working life and all that entailed. Saw the send off a butchery dept worker who was retiring after 50 odd years. During his presentation the story was told how he wasn't allowed the day off to get married and so had to do it during his lunch time. He died only a few months after leaving.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
My first job working Sat part time as student at Sainsburys gave me an introduction to working life and all that entailed. Saw the send off a butchery dept worker who was retiring after 50 odd years. During his presentation the story was told how he wasn't allowed the day off to get married and so had to do it during his lunch time. He died only a few months after leaving.
Ah, the good old days when you could leave your back door unlocked, people respected policemen and there wasn’t as much traffic on the roads.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
The government has launched a Better Health campaign, which aims to encourage the country to “to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS”. The programme would ban “buy one get one free” promotions and introduce calorie counts on menus, a move that has prompted criticism from at least one eating disorder charity.
oldgroaner@oldgroaner

·
37s

Out of curiosity, where and who did this plan originate from and why right now? While it is an important issue it in nowhere near the top of priorities we face at the moment. If it was, it would have been tackled years ago, so what is it intended to divert our attention from?
I wonder with the cycle voucher scheme if there was a cock up made and it should have been instead £50 Greggs vouchers

Looks like Cummings has competition with Carrie in influence Boris with his new healthy policies

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I don't get that, all reports I've seen & read say there's no real evidence of any postal vote irregularities.
You would think it would be open to cheating but apparently it's not, I think it's Trump trying to skew it his way again. Just let the people decide like they did with Hillary Clinton, Biden will get most votes...Trump wins again, simple. God Bless America !

It's very difficult to get the real story because most new channels, most press and most social media are anti-Trump.

Basically, nobody calls for anything unless they think they can get an advantage from it, so where is the advantage for the dems? The very article that you published confirms my suspicions of foul play. As I said, they're simply preparing the way. Why else would they publish a story like that?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, but the cars were for proper men, no power steering, steel dashboards with sharp edges, non of this Euro NCAP stuff, that’s all for puffters.
Yes indeed, plus three quarter inch diameter front side lights, a single one inch diameter glimmer of a rear light in the middle of the boot lid, no stop lights or reflectors, vacuum operated wipers that didn't wipe when you put your foot down, direction indicator arms that stuck firmly in the B pillar and rarely lit anyway.

We didn't just have no sophistication, we didn't even know what it meant!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Just heard an interesting theory on the wireless. Is the Spanish quarantine saga a Cummings warning shot at Spain. Don’t put Gibraltar on the trade negotiations table etc.

This theory has credibility. It’s in the Cummings style, it has a Johnny Foreigner flavour to it and it kind of shifts blame from the U.K. government to Spain’s. It’s Spain’s fault you can’t go on holiday. But the reality is that their overall infection and death rate is better than ours.

This theory makes more sense than our own government’s explanation.
In the Telegraph this morning, the isolation period was re-imposed after ten people were identified as having returned to the UK from Spain with symptoms and subsequently tested positive.
This was much higher than expected, and they were from the first wave of returning tourists, the fear was it would be just the tip of the iceberg. Many more would not yet showing symptoms or would be asymptomatic.
The Government has concluded that infection levels in Spain were higher than were being officially reported. That is now being confirmed by other data.
Other countries are under investigation, France, Germany, Croatia have been mentioned

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
In the Telegraph this morning, the isolation period was re-imposed after ten people were identified as having returned to the UK from Spain with symptoms and subsequently tested positive.
This was much higher than expected, and they were from the first wave of returning tourists, the fear was it would be just the tip of the iceberg. Many more would not yet showing symptoms or would be asymptomatic.
The Government has concluded that infection levels in Spain were higher than were being officially reported. That is now being confirmed by other data.
Other countries are under investigation, France, Germany, Croatia have been mentioned
Well speaking from my corner of France ...Village life in Brittany. They were and are taking things very seriously. So I would doubt any under reporting. CV is a big topic on national and local news. The major of Quiberon.. a place I like to visit, but will refrain this year,has closed parks at night and Discos to stop young people gathering. The official line from Local Government is youth irresponsibility . The local billboard has constant reminders of the virus circulating and wear a mask. Compliance is very high. The actual number of infected is reported every day, and while numbers are low the R value is very high 1.8 and reported

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And now we have exported it from Manchester to Berlin.

That is going down well... The entire family is infected.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Well guys, we no longer have to worry about grammar anymore because it's racist. Apparently, certain minorities never had the advantage of education. Rather than waste resources bringing them up to a suitable standard, it's been decided to lower the standard at this University that teaches English language. That should improve their pass rate.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
In the Telegraph this morning,
This may well be true, but even if it's not, it's useful for Boris to deflect what his government have be doing over the last few months and blame Johnny Foreigner instead.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Well guys, we no longer have to worry about grammar anymore because it's racist.

Where they are (New Jersey), they don't speak proper English to start with.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and sjpt

Advertisers