Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
the main agreement is sooner or later, we'll have to live with Covid.
The disagreement is what do we do from now until an effective vaccine is produced.
Woosh ..that is now the situation yes , but it was NOT the choice we had in April .. we could have eliminated it from these Islands . By May June we were down to single figure infection rates .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh ..that is now the situation yes , but it was NOT the choice we had in April .. we could have eliminated it from these Islands . By May June we were down to single figure infection rates .
no we can't.
Too many of us has one or more Neanderthal genes...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
no we can't.

Could this be anything to do with the Brexit impulse? a latent tendency to making decisions not to mix with more modern humans that leads to a slow and doleful extinction in damp remote locations?

Cancel that!t it rules out Scotland so it can't be right, however it does cover Yorkshire and the North East pretty well ;)

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Obviously English isn't this character's first language
Make allowances

Dan O'Mahoney@CCTCommander
· Oct 5
Hi, I’m Dan O’Mahoney - Clandestine Channel Threat Commander. Follow me for updates on everything we’re doing to stop the people smugglers sending people across the Channel and to make this dangerous route unviable.
Clandestine Channel Threat Commander Dan O'Mahoney stands in a boat with other officers near the port of Dover.

oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Replying to
@JMPSimor
If you are the "Clandestine Channel Threat Commander" Why haven't you been arrested as a dangerous nutter? :D

I rather liked this response
Replying to
@JMPSimor
@CCTCommander
is a Gilbert and Sullivan job title, surely?
“I am the very model of a Clandestine Channel Threat Commander.
Don’t try to cross in a dinghy,
or even worse to land ‘er.
I’ll make you think,
or preferably sink,
if you’re from Syria or Rwanda...”
:D

Last edited:

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Obviously English isn't this character's first language
Make allowances

Dan O'Mahoney@CCTCommander
· Oct 5
Hi, I’m Dan O’Mahoney - Clandestine Channel Threat Commander. Follow me for updates on everything we’re doing to stop the people smugglers sending people across the Channel and to make this dangerous route unviable.
Clandestine Channel Threat Commander Dan O'Mahoney stands in a boat with other officers near the port of Dover.'Mahoney stands in a boat with other officers near the port of Dover.

oldgroaner@oldgroaner

Replying to
@JMPSimor
If you are the "Clandestine Channel Threat Commander" Why haven't you been arrested as a dangerous nutter? :D

I rather liked this response
Replying to
@JMPSimor
@CCTCommander
is a Gilbert and Sullivan job title, surely?
“I am the very model of a Clandestine Channel Threat Commander.
Don’t try to cross in a dinghy,
or even worse to land ‘er.
I’ll make you think,
or preferably sink,
if you’re from Syria or Rwanda...”
And I liked this one too!

lefty realist

@v58Wk1GPcLT09Ui

·
2h

Replying to
@JMPSimor
Thought clandestine undercover national threat commander was his full title abbreiviate at will

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Electric car owners are going to be fairly pleased with this article.
During an aspergers moment I calculated that a small fiat I used to own burned £11332 over 100000 miles (100000/300 miles per tank multiplied by £34 per tank). If one buy a used tesla (old se models go for circa £30k) and use the free superchargers (not great for battery life, but survivable) this and congestion charge makes it a relatively affordable purchase.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Electric car owners are going to be fairly pleased with this article.
Known it for ages and it's one of the reasons I bought mine over two years ago at 82 years old with the intention of keeping it indefinitely or as long as I'm able to drive safely.

They are not only ultimately cheaper for many, they are superior in so many ways, clean, silent, nicer to drive, better for the planet and safer on the road.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yet another collision for number 10...

The government is on a collision course with the information commissioner over its refusal to publish a confidential report warning that the UK’s health system could not cope in a pandemic.

In a dramatic move, the Information Commissioner’s Office has ordered the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) to hand over the report into Exercise Cygnus, or explain its decision for refusing, by 23 October.

Cygnus, a three-day simulation exercise in 2016, assessed the UK’s ability to cope with an influenza pandemic, but its findings are pertinent to the current coronavirus crisis.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Seeing as there's so much nonsense on COVID this article is a breath of fresh air (imho of course).

Basically - forget about a vaccine - COVID mutates way too fast for that (just like the HIV/AIDS virus did). It's written by an Indian so you get that perspective - but even so I thought it worth the read.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Seeing as there's so much nonsense on COVID this article is a breath of fresh air (imho of course).

Basically - forget about a vaccine - COVID mutates way too fast for that (just like the HIV/AIDS virus did). It's written by an Indian so you get that perspective - but even so I thought it worth the read.

On 10th January WHO published:

Infection prevention and control during health care when novel coronavirus (nCoV) infection is suspected

(The advice might have been inadequate but it clearly recognised human to human transmission.)

The linked article says:

The WHO kept incorrectly repeating that (a) Covid-19 could not be transmitted from human to human and subsequently that (b) international air travel out of and into China was safe, nearly two months after researchers had found that both these propositions were false.

Not clear which two months was meant. But surely not back to 10th November 2019?

Possibly the tweet which reported the Chinese research?

But through the rest of January there was increasing concern and evidence of human to human transmission in WHO publications.

Adding link:

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Interestingly Vietnam locked down in January, extremely low infection rate and an economy that doesn't appear to have gone down the pan.
Meanwhile over here if you want to catch covid you'll have to get to the pub before 6pm, after that you're stuffed till next day. Couldn't make it up ... hang on ... Boris just did !

Advertisers