Brexit, for once some facts.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Isle of Man has removed all lockdown rules at midnight last night, life there is completely back to normal.

Their secret was the total virtual closure of their borders, key workers and those having genuine compassionate grounds have been the only exceptions.
I think it is partly a matter of luck on these small populations. Guernsey has gone the opposite way; almost no cases and no lockdown till the last couple of weeks, and now quite a few cases and significant lockdown.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it is partly a matter of luck on these small populations. Guernsey has gone the opposite way; almost no cases and no lockdown till the last couple of weeks, and now quite a few cases and significant lockdown.
Agreed. As I posted in the Autumn, we are kidding ourselves if we think we can control this. All those who were praised for doing well in the early Covid days suffered often severe rebounds later.

It's the virus that's still controlling us and vaccine or no vaccine, it will be doing so for some while yet.

Meanwhile, Boris has gone into stupid mode again. A short while ago he was talking up the idea of people getting holidays this Summer and promising a statement on that at the end of the month. It's the 5 days Christmas restriction free break all over again, will he never learn?

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I think a little over100 people with the S. Africa variant have now been discovered in the UK. A Virologist on LBC earlier this evening said that we do genomic testing on 1 in 30 people who have tested positive for CV. He went on to say that likely means that we actually have 30 times more people in the UK with the S. Africa virus than we know about.

If he is right and I can't really see why he wouldn't be, do you folks think we need to be far more stringent when it comes to border controls? Or do you all think it's just too late and we would simply be closing the door after the horse has bolted?

• Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If he is right and I can't really see why he wouldn't be, do you folks think we need to be far more stringent when it comes to border controls? Or do you all think it's just too late and we would simply be closing the door after the horse has bolted?
We've been closing the door after the horse has bolted since last Spring, but I think stricter border controls have a place anyway, to avoid topping up with still more variants as they appear.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I have been making my own bread, but not sourdough, throughout.

If it weren't just me who eats it, I'd definitely be trying sourdough but it seems less than worth doing for me alone.

I have been very, very pleased at how well they have come out. Even the first loaf was nice. I do usually use a slow rise technique.
It’s probably not worth the effort just for you. Sourdough is much more work than regular bread. However, it does freeze very well. The crumb seems to retain its moisture and the crust stays crispy when defrosted. I’m a complete convert.

My stomach is like cast iron, I can throw anything at it, but I’ve heard that sourdough is supposedly gentler on the digestive system.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The EU is suffering from a conspiracy.

Because the UK has the hump at not getting the trade and fishing deal it wanted, it's gone all out to corner the market and manufacturing of as many vaccines and possible vaccines as it can. This government is squandering our money to buy up ten times more vaccine than we need, just to deny vaccines to the EU.

Then to pretend they are being charitable they'll give the vaccines that don't work well to the EU.

They'll make us suffer for it though, watch out for more Audis with defective steering, VWs that use twice the juice they should and a shortage of Bonne Maman Creme Brulee.
Their cars are garbage anyway, so I won’t be affected.

Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Alternative could be far worse than tears. It's an area that I wouldn't mind them wasting money on if it came to that.
I do agree with you on this ... there is a saying " pennywise pound foolish ", and investing in vaccine production and even paying over the odds is a worthwhile investment, if it gets the economy back up running even a month earlier. Which is why the very hard stringent lockdowns, Pandemic payments , which was the only show in town, 3 months ago, should have been used. Any country which did that is reaping dividends now.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I’ve just been talking to a friend who fits blinds & curtains. He’s been working in a care home near Peterborough today. They gave him a Covid test on arrival which was negative.

Just before Christmas, the care home had an outbreak with 23 residents testing positive. Everyone of the 23 was asymptomatic.This is a very strange disease.

Another friend’s son has now had Coronavirus twice. Once in October and then again last week. The latest infection was very mild. His only symptom was a continuous smell of burning. No fever or anything. Public Health England are now after his blood. They are very keen to analyse it to see what’s going off.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It’s probably not worth the effort just for you. Sourdough is much more work than regular bread. However, it does freeze very well. The crumb seems to retain its moisture and the crust stays crispy when defrosted. I’m a complete convert.

My stomach is like cast iron, I can throw anything at it, but I’ve heard that sourdough is supposedly gentler on the digestive system.
I do like sourdough. And there certainly are ideas about it being more digestible.

What has made a huge difference for me is the quality of the flour I have been buying. Am now sticking with Welsh-grown organic Paragon wheat. (But might add some spelt or rye or something else.)

Plus I now leave the flour after adding the water (and yeast, salt, olive oil) for ten to twenty minutes before even trying to knead it.

For my next trick, will be making some more lime marmalade.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I do like sourdough. And there certainly are ideas about it being more digestible.

What has made a huge difference for me is the quality of the flour I have been buying. Am now sticking with Welsh-grown organic Paragon wheat. (But might add some spelt or rye or something else.)

Plus I now leave the flour after adding the water (and yeast, salt, olive oil) for ten to twenty minutes before even trying to knead it.

For my next trick, will be making some more lime marmalade.
The marmalade sounds delicious.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
I concur - this new spate kicked off a few days ago

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and POLLY

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I don't think that lock downs were ever meant to stop the spread, simply slow it down so that hospitals did not get overwhelmed.
Just like ordinary face masks do not protect you, simply slow down any minute particles you breathe out so protecting others

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Who said that there isn't an Irish Sea border?

Brexit food checks suspended at Northern Ireland ports amid safety concerns

Police monitoring growing unionist discontent over so-called Irish sea border
Police are to hold talks later today with partner agencies after physical Brexit checks at Belfast and Larne ports were suspended amid safety concerns.

Northern Ireland's Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (Daera) said on Monday it had decided "in the interests of the wellbeing of staff to temporarily suspend physical inspections of products of animal origin at Larne and Belfast" pending further discussions with the PSNI.

A Daera spokesman said: "The situation will be kept under review and in the meantime full documentary checks will continue to be carried out as usual."
Agriculture Minister Edwin Poots said he had taken the decision to withdraw personnel at the ports in consultation with his staff.

PSNI Assistant Chief Constable Mark McEwan said force officials would meet partner agencies to discuss the situation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-checks-northern-ireland-ports-suspended-b1796119.html

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not at all sure of its impact on cost of living, but petrol prices have been rising significantly.

The other day, I saw my first over-120 price for some time - 121.09. (I carried on to another one which is always the least expensive in the area 110.07. The nearest one to me is 119.09.) 11.02 per litre is quite a big difference.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
An awful lot of Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine...

China’s Shenzhen Kangtai Biological Products said on Tuesday it had completed a facility designed to be able to produce 400m doses of AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine per year, doubling a capacity target promised in 2020.

“Kangtai is actively pushing forward procedures for the vaccine’s clinical trial and registration in China, and has completed a manufacturing plant and started trial production,” the Shenzhen-based firm said in a press release.

The firm obtained rights to supply the AZD1222 vaccine, developed by the Anglo-Swedish drugmaker and Oxford University, in mainland China last year in return for having the capacity to produce at least 200m doses by the end of 2021.

Advertisers