Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I’m not saying it doesn’t work, but where is the labour coming from? How does one guard on any particular floor cope if unrest kicks off? Where does his backup come from.

I think mandatory quarantine will happen in the U.K., but Boris Johnson is incapable of making that decision. He is dithering until the situation becomes so desperate that he has no option but to close the borders. Or to put it another way, the decision is made for him. It’s how he’s operated since day one.

Of course each day he dithers the increased possibility of a vaccine resistant strain of the virus exists. He is risking undoing the great work done on vaccination so far.
Respect for law!. In the event of breaking quarantine, they are on the next flight back from where they came I think you misunderstand the actual power behind the legislation on the Public Health Acts. Under the appropriate order it is Draconian....nearly literally!!.
As before, I prefer not to comment on the behaviour of UK politicans

Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I don't think you are taking our beloved freedom and knowledge of rights into account.
Folk here would sneak off. Guaranteed.
If Chinese, Vietnamese or such sneak off they know they, d get a beating or worse. Our Western culture can't be compared. I, ve spent lots of time in Vietnam. If police say jump, you jump. Ordinary people in street even more so than westerners.
Look at the quarantine set up in ski villages. Our lot just left. It's how we are. It's part of reason we are in a mess
The people I am referring to are Irish people working in these places, and we are much more freedom living than even you Brits ..We don't even que..

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Respect for law!. In the event of breaking quarantine, they are on the next flight back from where they came I think you misunderstand the actual power behind the legislation on the Public Health Acts. Under the appropriate order it is Draconian....nearly literally!!.
As before, I prefer not to comment on the behaviour of UK politicans
I’m not convinced. If you have a hotel floor full of 20 - 30 somethings they are going to start partying in each other’s rooms. I don’t think you realise just what massive irresponsible twats we have here in the U.K. A Group 4 guard in an ill fitting uniform, earning £5.00 / hour isn’t going to police it.

The bottom line is that our border force has been so catastrophically cut, there is literally no one at all capable of controlling our borders.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
We had the more infectious “Kent” virus, then came the more infectious than the more infectious virus, out of Brazil. Next came the more infectious than the more infectious more infectious virus from South Africa. The latest news is that we have just discovered a more infectious than the more infectious, more infectious, more infectious variant, in Kent, again.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Reasonable summation of events around vaccines. Makes some good points. (He, s Portuguese)
There has been a football fan type of national tribalism which hasn't helped anybody. If we are to defeat covid it must stop.
Working out best strategy, what has helped, what hasnt and why without blame is surely best for us all. Looking for scapegoats and using blanket political reasoning will not defeat covid or put us in a better place for next pandemic.
(read all article before you dismiss it, there are some early wrong generalisations)
Perhaps our perceived or otherwise terrible death rate put us in a better frame of mind to make getting vaccines an absolute priority??

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
We had the more infectious “Kent” virus, then came the more infectious than the more infectious virus, out of Brazil. Next came the more infectious than the more infectious more infectious virus from South Africa. The latest news is that we have just discovered a more infectious than the more infectious, more infectious, more infectious variant, in Kent, again.
"I have a cunning plan" said Baldric
"Oh god I suppose I have to hear it" sighed the captain.
"Why don't we get the English virus's to attack and kill the foreign ones?"
"Oh yes? and what do we do with the English virus left afterwards?"
"That's easy sir, we send everyone infected with the English virus on a holiday to China." :cool:

Reactions: mike killay

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Implausible that testing coincidently became even more unreliable.
I know one person who had an uncertain test followed by negative. But the interesting bit, for me, was that she had gone to a testing centre but had to do the test herself. I think this is relatively recent. Not at all sure how reliable untrained people doing their own swabs are. And it could go either way.

Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I find it hard to accept that the increase is due to more false positives from testing. Especially when as we know from before crimbo the more infectious strain was rapidly blooming. Implausible that testing coincidently became even more unreliable.
Not coincidentally, the testing has always been suspect as many experts have complained. It's not more false positives now, they've always been present which is why our whole death rate is exaggerated, from even before 12th August.

Re-read my post and look at the evidence, as said, it make no sense that we can have a far higher death rate than those who haven't taken so many precautions.

And the 28 day ruling does greatly exaggerate the death rate. That is a fact since it rules that the numerous deaths due to other factors within 28 days have to be recorded as Covid by law.

Reactions: Zlatan and POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Reasonable summation of events around vaccines. Makes some good points. (He, s Portuguese)
There has been a football fan type of national tribalism which hasn't helped anybody. If we are to defeat covid it must stop.
Working out best strategy, what has helped, what hasnt and why without blame is surely best for us all. Looking for scapegoats and using blanket political reasoning will not defeat covid or put us in a better place for next pandemic.
(read all article before you dismiss it, there are some early wrong generalisations)
Perhaps our perceived or otherwise terrible death rate put us in a better frame of mind to make getting vaccines an absolute priority??
the EU lost because it concentrated its efforts on getting good quality control and a good price. BJ on the other hand concentrated his efforts on getting the vaccines as early as possible.
BJ made life easier for the producers and is rewarded with early supplies.
EU insisted on being a prickly customer, got sent to the back of the queue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A study of people in the Orthodox Jewish Community in London and requested by them has shown that their Covid-19 infection rate has been consistently far higher then elsewhere in London throughout and one of the world's highest rates.

They have 65% of their population infected, rising to 75% for all secondary school pupils and working age adults, against only 10% in all other Londoners.

It's not known why but guesses include crowded living conditions and deprivation. Perhaps being "God's chosen people" isn't as much of a blessing as they thought, with God making the choices.

Information link

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan and POLLY

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
We don't even have a professional full Coastguard force any more, whole large stretches of our coastlines are watched by volunteers, when they are available or not watched at all.
I remember the coast watch station in St Ives Cornwall. When I visited in the 1970 on holiday with my parents, it was a Coast Guard station linked with assets at RNAS Culdrose. Now it’s just old men doing it on a voluntary basis. It seems more of a social club for them to drink tea, eat biscuits and reminisce. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we mustn’t kid ourselves it’s a Coast Guard.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
the EU lost because it concentrated its efforts on getting good quality control and a good price. BJ on the other hand concentrated his efforts on getting the vaccines as early as possible.
BJ made life easier for the producers and is rewarded with early supplies.
EU insisted on being a prickly customer, got sent to the back of the queue.
And(regardless of the jingoistic frenzy of the boris fanboys on the thread) it's too early to call the result (other than, of course, our world beating covid death rate)

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We don't even have a professional full Coastguard force any more, whole large stretches of our coastlines are watched by volunteers, when they are available or not watched at all.
And the one place where you have a border force.. Larne ,it is being stood down for Health and Safety reasons due to politically motivated intimidation.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I just had a jab. Routine jab at local surgery; actually community centre adjoining surgery. Not my surgery, several surgeries got together which I think is pretty standard. I was surprised it was a Pfeizer, I was expecting AZ. Will report if any significant side-effects tomorrow (unless they are so bad I can't).

Reactions: POLLY

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Continuing encouraging numbers on the cases front.

And as we hoped (and predicted) the death rate finally looks as if its past the peak.

Not party time yet ... but fingers crossed.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I remember the coast watch station in St Ives Cornwall. When I visited in the 1970 on holiday with my parents, it was a Coast Guard station linked with assets at RNAS Culdrose. Now it’s just old men doing it on a voluntary basis. It seems more of a social club for them to drink tea, eat biscuits and reminisce. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we mustn’t kid ourselves it’s a Coast Guard.
With respect, ..and I have never yet been to St Ives, .(. unfortunately the CV19 interfered with a wedding reception for a nephew we were scheduled for there this Summer, ) the reason the Coast Guard was reduced was because you had the French and Spanish, and Dutch watching your back for the last 40 Years . It meant the RAF could patrol off Scotland and the Irish interdict drugs in the Southern section of the North Atlantic. Coast Guard and Sea rescue duties were shared between Ireland and and Anglesey for the Irish sea. And Ireland was providing it out into the Atlantic. The UK doing patrols with Nimrods and the Irish with CASA. I don't know the French reconnaissance aircraft name but would see them landing every so often in Lorient

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Yes, I made the starter before Christmas. I keep it in the fridge, feed it once a week and remove it from the fridge a couple of days before baking. It seems to be getting better with each bake.
Don't forget it will mutate (serious) that's why you have to start again with a new batch after a few weeks.
Been baking bread for over 50 years myself, now own a professional machine that does it all for me.
Cost a fortune but perfection every time, all done and baked in 5-6 hours.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A study of people in the Orthodox Jewish Community in London and requested by them has shown that their Covid-19 infection rate has been consistently far higher then elsewhere in London throughout and one of the world's highest rates.

They have 65% of their population infected, rising to 75% for all secondary school pupils and working age adults, against only 10% in all other Londoners.

It's not known why but guesses include crowded living conditions and deprivation. Perhaps being "God's chosen people" isn't as much of a blessing as they thought, with God making the choices.

Information link
I don't think you have to look very far to get some suggestions:

Large weddings, packed schools: concern as some Haredi Jews 'flout England lockdown'
Community insiders say weddings taking place each week and there is ‘no respect for the guidelines’
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/29/large-weddings-packed-schools-haredi-jews-flout-english-lockdown

Advertisers