West West Wales
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
This article is, umm, interesting.

People with extremist views less able to do complex mental tasks, research suggests
Cambridge University team say their findings could be used to spot people at risk from radicalisation

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/feb/22/people-with-extremist-views-less-able-to-do-complex-mental-tasks-research-suggests

The implications are rather too lightly discussed...
Cambridge???. What would they know?. Seriously. Is it not actually the total reverse. People who cannot handle ambiguity and complex interactions, who revel in the certainty of simplicity..and therefore fundamentalism.
You know like Cambridge was invented for those fundementalists who couldn't follow the subtle nuances of 14 centuries of Catholic philosophy.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Does anyone else think it’s crazy to send all the school kids back in one big bang?

I may have mentioned, the majority of my working life has been spent in aviation. If the cockpit fills with smoke, the emergency drill is to pull all the bus circuit breakers. Once the smoke has cleared, you then bring systems back on line, one item at a time starting with the primary instruments. This process continues until either the smoke starts again or you successfully achieve the safe minimum to land.

This clown cart government is showing all the signs of wanting to switch all the systems on at once. Just how many times do they need to make the same mistake before they realise it’s a mistake?
They'll trip the landing gear at 500 knots before that happens

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Cambridge???. What would they know?. Seriously. Is it not actually the total reverse. People who cannot handle ambiguity and complex interactions, who revel in the certainty of simplicity..and therefore fundamentalism.
You know like Cambridge was invented for those fundementalists who couldn't follow the subtle nuances of 14 centuries of Catholic philosophy.
I still can't ,even though I'm an atheist thank god
But as a member of Clan Bell I naturally salute the biggest protection racket of all time for it sheer creativity.
Now that is style, and all the Bling you could wish for. :cool:

Reactions: Woosh and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Did you know that Jeff Bezos, who is one of the world’s richest men, has seen his wealth increase during the Coronavirus pandemic by an amount sufficient to giving every one of his Amazon employees $100,000 each. If he gave that money away, he’d still be amongst the world’s richest.

A while ago, a young woman delivered some shite I’d ordered from Amazon at 10:00 pm on a dark, wet & cold Sunday night. She’d got a young child in the car with her. I don’t criticise the woman, I’m sure she wasn’t relishing the situation, more likely just trying to keep her head above water.

I’ve never used Amazon again and the story regarding Bezos’s wealth makes me more determined not to. These are the companies which need hammering with tax burdens to pay for the pandemic, but I know it will be PAYE monkeys that will cop for it.
He actually does give away vast sums, billions in fact. Tesla wouldn't be where it is today without his money and Elon Musk's space vehicle that now services the international apace station was developed and built with huge sums of his money, meaning we don't have to pay the Russians to do it any more.

He's also donating $10 billion to fighting global climate change, nearly a billion of that already distributed, plus several tens of millions to Feeding America in the last year alone to aid food banks across the country.

I also don't like the domination of Amazon, but Jeff Bezos is playing his part in the redistribution of wealth.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Studies carried out in Scotland seem to confirm that the calculated gamble of delaying the second dose of vaccine is paying off. It was to some extent a gamble, but it’s come up trumps.

Reactions: POLLY

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
Does anyone else think it’s crazy to send all the school kids back in one big bang?
Yes it seems a strange thing to do. I watched the Welsh lunch time Covid briefing today and the plan here is to bring children back gradually starting with the youngest first. As Oyster said its going to be a phased approach and after each change, monitoring will take place for a couple of weeks or so to ensure infection rates have not started to rapidly increase.

I think what might be happening in England is that group of Tory MPs (around 63 of them) led by Mark Harper I think, but I cant remember what they call themselves have been bribed by BJ into not kicking up to much fuss provided all the kids are back in school by the 8th of March.

I would imagine this is not what the scientists are advising but as has happened all through this pandemic its about the politics as much if not more so than the science.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
This study from Scotland seems to be supporting data that has been coming out of Israel for a while. The vaccines make a huge difference to how likely one is to end up in hospital with Covid problems.
The Pfizer vaccine reduced hospital admissions by 85% and the AZ was even better it reduced admissions by an amazing 94%, more details on the link below.
Covid vaccines - 'spectacular' impact on serious illness - BBC News

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
I understand why Amazon has been so important, to so many. But I agree and try hard to avoid them. More and more often, I find them significantly more expensive than some other companies. The thing that keeps them attractive is the postage - whether because of the fairly low limit for "free", or Prime. Have avoided almost entirely last year and this.
I know somebody who drives for Amazon and he says that since covid he has never had it so good...he would come down our street to make one delivery. .now he makes 5 deliveries
on the same street.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Studies carried out in Scotland seem to confirm that the calculated gamble of delaying the second dose of vaccine is paying off. It was to some extent a gamble, but it’s come up trumps.
Nope!. A report referenced today on RTE , and to be made available in the HoC today, based on the Israeli studies shows that the single delayed dose strategy of the Pfizer is flawed. While it does INITIALLY give a boost , that its positive effect tails off with time. What was not addressed whether the second delayed dose allows the recovery to the same level of quality as the two doses at the recommended interval provide.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Remember Zoltar the Fortune telling dummy is the penny amusements? here he is again
March does come after April and we'll have the proof in eight days time.

That will be the first of March and the only evidence that April exists is before that, the last occasion being just over ten months earlier, before this March.

Aint Conservatism wonderful !

Reactions: sjpt

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

That will be the first of March and the only evidence that April exists is before that, the last occasion being just over ten months earlier, before this March.

I think it's more mythical :rolleyes:

Reactions: flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

Of course March comes after April, Conservatives only think in tax years which being April and have March almost at the very end.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Nope!. A report referenced today on RTE , and to be made available in the HoC today, based on the Israeli studies shows that the single delayed dose strategy of the Pfizer is flawed. While it does INITIALLY give a boost , that its positive effect tails off with time. What was not addressed whether the second delayed dose allows the recovery to the same level of quality as the two doses at the recommended interval provide.
You are very very wrong again.

The AZ and PB vaccine is reducing hospital admissions by over 80% after on dose. It’s also having a significant impact on transmission.

The U.K. vaccination process is being heralded as a spectacular success.

The over 80s are responding particularly well to the AZ vaccine. I guess the oily spiteful French dwarf will be under pressure to have a re-think now :D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
Reactions: daveboy

Advertisers