Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I see this headline:

Labour urges Boris Johnson to cancel trip to India over Covid risk
Steve Reed says PM should ‘set an example’ and conduct his scheduled meetings via Zoom

And wonder if Labour had ever thought of encouraging him to go?

(We don't yet appear to fully appreciate whether exposure to earlier forms of Covid protect against the Indian variant.)

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see this headline:

Labour urges Boris Johnson to cancel trip to India over Covid risk
Steve Reed says PM should ‘set an example’ and conduct his scheduled meetings via Zoom

And wonder if Labour had ever thought of encouraging him to go?

(We don't yet appear to fully appreciate whether exposure to earlier forms of Covid protect against the Indian variant.)
The Indian variant is very much here already though, so he might be at just as much risk of it here in London.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson says government will do 'everything we can' to stop European super league going ahead as proposed

Hasn't he got enough on his plate?

And just why does he feel he has the right to dictate to commercial organisations what they should or shouldn't do? Doesn't seem to apply in other areas...

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Johnson says government will do 'everything we can' to stop European super league going ahead as proposed

Hasn't he got enough on his plate?

And just why does he feel he has the right to dictate to commercial organisations what they should or shouldn't do? Doesn't seem to apply in other areas...
It is a thoroughly bad scheme though, so I hope it does get killed.

Once again it shows financial interests in total contempt of fans, players, managers and all others who love the game of football.

Hopefully the refusals to co-operate by national leagues will kill it.

Information Link

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

Once again it shows financial interests in total contempt of fans, players, managers and all others who love the game of football.

Information Link
I know nothing of the football aspects of the plan. But when other commercial organisations go out to make money, they get praised. Greed is why we have a vaccine, so we read.

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I know nothing of the football aspects of the plan. But when other commercial organisations go out to make money, they get praised. Greed is why we have a vaccine, so we read.
It will be to detriment of Premiere League and ultimately the clubs forming the super league. Crazy idea. If it ain't bust... Don't mend it. I don't know of any football fans in agreement with it. Interestingly there are no German clubs in it yet? They are all owned 51% minimum by supporters.??? Suspect its JP Morgan money raising idea... A bad one..

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020

Information Link
I hope it goes ahead, fails and kills off professional football. I hate everything about it.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know nothing of the football aspects of the plan.
All you need to know is that everyone actually involved in the game itself, fans, players, coaches, managers and even the media are bitterly opposed to the proposed ESL.

Football isn't a business like any other, it's about passion, loyalty, emotion and personal involvement that other businesses can only dream about enjoying from their customers.

The strong attachment the British have for the NHS has a little in common with it. How would you feel about remodelling the NHS into a business vehicle primarily to make money for those who've bought their way into it**, but with what the NHS is really about taking a poor second place?

** Drugs companies, Private hospitals, Electronics companies, PFI construction companies etc.

Last edited:

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
You might have expected me to disagree.

I don't since it's likely that almost everything you hate about it is due to the way the game has been so perverted by all the previous moves over many decades to turn it into a money making machine.
That’s it exactly. Money making is the only priority. Wringing every last drop of cash, no matter what the damage is all that matters.

Some of the players are scum too. Surrounding referees to intimidate them, unsportsmanlike behaviour, antics off the field. Premiership clubs have absolutely no affiliation to their local areas. The show is simply vile.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That’s it exactly. Money making is the only priority. Wringing every last drop of cash, no matter what the damage is all that matters.

Some of the players are scum too. Surrounding referees to intimidate them, unsportsmanlike behaviour, antics off the field. Premiership clubs have absolutely no affiliation to their local areas. The show is simply vile.
Much that I agree with there, but of course the proposed ESL will just make it worse. The past very big mistake on the same lines was to allow the premier league to be formed.

But at the heart still is a good game staffed at all levels with a majority of good people. It just needs rescuing from the money obsessed owners, as Germany did long ago.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Football isn't a business like any other, it's about ...
Or rather: Football shouldn't be a business like any other.

I agree with your intent, just not your wording.

Reactions: oyster and flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Or rather: Football shouldn't be a business like any other.

I agree with your intent, just not your wording.
To play devil's advocate, why not? No one complained about the idiots playing it being paid millions and exchanged between teams that then have no discernible intrinsic link to any area or community? But I say that as someone who find it intrinsically one of the daftest things I've seen primates get up to.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
To play devil's advocate, why not? No one complained about the idiots playing it being paid millions and exchanged between teams that then have no discernible intrinsic link to any area or community?
Actually they did. Fans have loudly complained about them for many years, knowing the connection between their ever rising ticket prices and these abuses.

But I say that as someone who find it intrinsically one of the daftest things I've seen primates get up to.
I agree. As a youngster I got into trouble by point blank refusing to take part in playing football at school, seeing chasing a ball around a field as very silly. But as an adult I can admire the incredible skills that good footballers have.

• Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Actually they did. Fans have loudly complained about them for many years, knowing the connection between their ever rising ticket prices and these abuses.

I agree. As a youngster I got into trouble by point blank refusing to take part in playing football at school, seeing chasing a ball around a field as very silly. But as an adult I can admire the incredible skills that good footballers have.
That was my experience when young, but then I still feel sport stopped after the end of the cross border and Viking raids! :D

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Trouble is football is a victim of its own success.
Powers that be realised years ago no other sport in history can provide such drama for so many... So it was organised to make millions with... But then who should reap benefits... Well the protagonists of course... So wages spiral, attracts more talent and in no time at all Football is the Global sport... Attracting most talented sports people and generating biggest revenue.
Go to any European, British, African or South American country and cream of talent... Plays football. Yep, all the rugby players out there will disagree but they are wrong. If a kid is talented, can run, has good coordination, good hand eye skills etc etc he/she plays football in 95% of cases. . It's just how it is.
Folk might not like it but Football attracts more people to it, provides more entertainment and employment than any other sport in history. No comparison. Look at premiere league attendences.. MUFC average 70,000 every other week. (pre covid)
That simply dwarfs any rock band, entertainer or singer... And that's before television is mentioned.
And its for a reason. Drama. Nothing else compares.
So, with such a massive business model who should benefit? The owners? Television? Players?
Yep, it's a sad reflection not on football but on our society when we will soon be seeing a player earning 1 million pounds per week. How much is Elton John worth? Lewis Hamilton?
Unfortunately this super league is purely an extension of all this. Hopefully it will fail but when JP Morgan offers Gary Neville a few million quid to commentate I wonder if he will change his mind.??

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Trouble is football is a victim of its own success.
Powers that be realised years ago no other sport in history can provide such drama for so many... So it was organised to make millions with... But then who should reap benefits... Well the protagonists of course... So wages spiral, attracts more talent and in no time at all Football is the Global sport... Attracting most talented sports people and generating biggest revenue.
Go to any European, British, African or South American country and cream of talent... Plays football. Yep, all the rugby players out there will disagree but they are wrong. If a kid is talented, can run, has good coordination, good hand eye skills etc etc he/she plays football in 95% of cases. . It's just how it is.
Folk might not like it but Football attracts more people to it, provides more entertainment and employment than any other sport in history. No comparison. Look at premiere league attendences.. MUFC average 70,000 every other week. (pre covid)
That simply dwarfs any rock band, entertainer or singer... And that's before television is mentioned.
And its for a reason. Drama. Nothing else compares.
So, with such a massive business model who should benefit? The owners? Television? Players?
Yep, it's a sad reflection not on football but on our society when we will soon be seeing a player earning 1 million pounds per week. How much is Elton John worth? Lewis Hamilton?
Unfortunately this super league is purely an extension of all this. Hopefully it will fail but when JP Morgan offers Gary Neville a few million quid to commentate I wonder if he will change his mind.??
In terms of sport or pasttimes, I think fishing and gardening might have the edge. In terms of paid entertainment ..well you are correct

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
In terms of sport or pasttimes, I think fishing and gardening might have the edge. In terms of paid entertainment ..well you are correct
Fishing, I believe, is highest participation... If sitting on a river bank with a pole is participating... Did read golf had equalled it but I suppose it depends how its measured.
For Spectators and money involved nothing gets near football. Not many promising talents aspire to be fishermen... Every street in UK has lads hoping to play for somebody one day. I don't think many of us actually realise the numbers involved with the game. During the season every premiere league game attracts roughly 50 k spectators every week. That's 5 million live spectators week in week out. (ie 10 premiere league games per week) And that's just premiere league.
We applaud Elton John for filling Wembley every now and again. Professional footballers fill equivalent of 8 Wembleys every week. (and that doesn't include all lower leagues or TV audiences or foreign audiences)
It really is mind blowing.

Last edited:

Advertisers