Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Pedelec forums.
I actually learn a lot on a variety of subjects from members, at least, I am encouraged to get informed (and have my own views tested).

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The fallibility of technology, ANPR this time. I saw this on TV first but here's the Mail covering it. Unfortunate just as London's Low Emission Zone enlarges out to North and South Circular roads:

Information Link
Strikes me that issuing a fine illegally can be brushed off as nothing. In this case, the recipient seems to have been able to get it sorted. But that hasn't always been the case. If the system can't prevent such howlers, it isn't fit for purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
London's Low Emission Zone enlarges out to North and South Circular roads:
Could you please extend it a bit further? Ten miles either side of the A40 from Marylebone to Fishguard would be a start.

I keep seeing individual vehicles blowing out clouds of black smoke. I know full well that even entirely clear exhausts are emitting unpleasant things, but when you can't see the road markings ahead and start choking, it is clearly far too bad to be allowed. Yet I've never knowingly seen such a vehicle stopped and dealt with.

It certainly looks like low hanging fruit for reducing pollution.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I’ve just seen a chart on the BBC. Of all global carbon emissions, the U.K. contributes 0.9%. Domestic boilers contribute 20% of the UK’s carbon emissions.

All of the upheaval, expense and hardship the conversion to heat pumps will cause, it will only save 0.18% on global carbon emissions.

Meanwhile we keep buying from China who contribute 28% of all global carbon emissions. That’s where the savings can be made. Wean people off cheap s^!t from China.
Since the entire UK Population is 66/7000 or about 0.9428% , that sounds about right. China at 20% of the global population could certainly do a bit better. And now enjoy the cheap stuff, while it lasts, China is rapidly going up market.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I don’t doubt a great deal of what you say. The big problem is going to be the cost / supply of electricity to power the heat pumps and the growing number of electric cars. There has been decades of insufficient investment in nuclear power.

Before embarking on this transition to heat pumps (the easy bit), the government needs to sort out the difficult bit, sufficient supply of electricity at a price people can afford. Until that happens, we are going to be burning gas to create heat to generate electricity which we will then turn back into heat. Interesting that China are a large scale manufacturer of the kit. No doubt the factories in China are powered by their growing number of coal fired power stations.

U.K. gas fired domestic boilers contribute 1/10th of 2/5ths of a quarter of fuckall carbon on a global scale. Whilst ever we are still buying from Chinese industry at our current scale, we may as well not bother with domestic heating boilers.

This is a pipe dream of the wealthy.

There was no need for the people of Dresden to put the heating on after the Royal Airforce paid them a visit o_O
I am no fan of Nuclear Power ..but in the case of the UK ,I doubt there is any short term alternative. In fact the Germans are being invited to reconsider their earlier decision. But in time Solar is making huge inroads... And these are typically Chinese manufacturing.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It certainly looks like low hanging fruit for reducing pollution.
Not so, this is London legislation, nothing to do with national government. We've long been leading the country in this respect. Also this is the ULTRA low emission zone. We have long had a low emission zone covering almost all of London, policed by spot checks.

The ULEZ is based on vehicle emission standards, not roadside checks. All vehicles that didn't meet the Euro 6 exhaust emission standard when manufactured have to pay the £12.50 a day cost of entry, and that emission standard is checked at each MOT.

That near £3000 a year for an average 5 day a week worker is a powerful incentive to renew one's car or van for a new one or one made in the last few years that does meet the standard.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not so, this is London legislation, nothing to do with national government. We've long been leading the country in this respect. Also this is the ULTRA low emission zone. We have long had a low emission zone covering almost all of London, policed by spot checks.

And the ULEZ is based on vehicle emission standards, not roadside checks. All vehicles that didn't meet the Euro 6 emission exhaust standard when manufactured have to pay the £12.50 a day cost of entry, and that emission standard is checked at each MOT.

That near £3000 a year for an average 5 day a week worker is a powerful incentive to renew one's car or van for a new one or one made in the last few years that does meet the standard.
And I have followed belching vehicles from outside London, through the zones.

There is some sense in making it simple by using declared standards. But the difference between a Euro 6 in poor condition, driven hard and an old banger handled gently could well tip away from the Euro 6 vehicle.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I am no fan of Nuclear Power ..but in the case of the UK ,I doubt there is any short term alternative. In fact the Germans are being invited to reconsider their earlier decision. But in time Solar is making huge inroads... And these are typically Chinese manufacturing.
Way back in the 1970's Geothermal energy looked a very likely source of abundant energy, we looked into it, but at the time expense ruled it out.
Pity as we are all sitting on a huge thermal resource

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And I have followed belching vehicles from outside London, through the zones.
So they have to pay the £12.50 these days and also sometimes get nicked. Even London's taxi drivers have been fined on occasions

But the difference between a Euro 6 in poor condition, driven hard and an old banger handled gently could well tip away from the Euro 6 vehicle.
A rare exception. The MOT will pick up any poorly maintained Euro 6 vehicle and fail it.

The standards here now are far higher than you seem to think, even the new Boris buses had to be taken off the road to be upgraded and are due to be scrapped at only 12 years old, about a third of a normal bus life.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Way back in the 1970's Geothermal energy looked a very likely source of abundant energy, we looked into it, but at the time expense ruled it out.
Pity as we are all sitting on a huge thermal resource
There was at one point an apparently serious suggestion to use the thermal resouces of Iceland to generate electricity and use an undersea cable to get it to the UK.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I see Covid deaths are on the up - 223.

Not a surprise they always lag the infection rates.
That's the highest rate recorded for 7 months, looking at countries like France, Germany, Spain and Italy they are no where even close to our infection and death rates, I still don't understand how Boris is getting away with all this. If it was the other way around all the news papers would be bragging about how well we are doing and how hopeless the EU are.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I’m a big fan of nuclear power. The other day, the government announced that a nuclear fusion power station is going to be built not far from where I live! It’s great news and the only thing standing in the way is the fact it’s not been invented yet. With the amount of sports scientists and media studies graduates we are churning out of our universities, I can’t see it taking very long at all.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Try to be patient ours will "World's First" and "World Beating"
And if it should develop as anticipated, the hole it burns down through the Earth's crust to the mantle will release enough energy to solve all problems, not just environmental ones.

Last edited:

Advertisers