Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Depends where you are, when you're in a singularity, time behaves differently.
Perhaps I should sue him, I've been saying that for years.
what he means is while the clock is ticking, what you see/feel as happening has already happened by the time you see/feel, so there is no present really, only past and future.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Best guess is that it was a Magnum 46 and passed through them both!

I think a touch of Borisism may be creeping in......
Was saying on radio (some self pronounced expert) that since they were making a Western 99% chance gun would be a Colt 45..either a genuine 100 year old one or newly manufactured for film.
Apparently only time they can (or supposed to) actually point gun at people is direct shots at camera. He summised, as you did, bullet passed through first victim and into second.. To be fair most firearms will go through a human body.. 45 especially so..
Suggested a blank was used but something (unknown) was in barrel.. Or if an old gun it exploded???
Chances of a full working round being in chamber (he reckoned) extremely unlikely..
But we do underestimate how much power is released in a blank, especially film set ones. (over loaded for effects)
As a kid we used to blast holes in coke cans with blanks in a Lee Enfield. 303..(and they were sleeved down to 0.22) (It was done as a demo to show us to be careful???? Different times)
A few years ago some actor as a joke put a 45 loaded with blanks to his head and fired. It killed him instantly.
I suspect an ordinary round was wrongly mixed up with blanks. Some of the blanks they use have wax bullets, so they look identical for scenes when on show.. But can't see wax bullet doing that...
Some thing has gone badly wrong, at many levels.
Terrible.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Best guess is that it was a Magnum 46 and passed through them both!

I think a touch of Borisism may be creeping in......
but who loaded the gun with real bullets?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Was saying on radio (some self pronounced expert) that since they were making a Western 99% chance gun would be a Colt 45..either a genuine 100 year old one or newly manufactured for film.
Apparently only time they can (or supposed to) actually point gun at people is direct shots at camera. He summised, as you did, bullet passed through first victim and into second.. To be fair most firearms will go through a human body.. 45 especially so..
Suggested a blank was used but something (unknown) was in barrel.. Or if an old gun it exploded???
Chances of a full working round being in chamber (he reckoned) extremely unlikely..
But we do underestimate how much power is released in a blank, especially film set ones. (over loaded for effects)
As a kid we used to blast holes in coke cans with blanks in a Lee Enfield. 303..(and they were sleeved down to 0.22) (It was done as a demo to show us to be careful???? Different times)
A few years ago some actor as a joke put a 45 loaded with blanks to his head and fired. It killed him instantly.
I suspect an ordinary round was wrongly mixed up with blanks. Some of the blanks they use have wax bullets, so they look identical for scenes when on show.. But can't see wax bullet doing that...
Some thing has gone badly wrong, at many levels.
Terrible.
Well we had an Irish actor on about this today ..and he was lucky to survive being shot with a blank at a stage rehearsal some years ago. .. the card board wadding fired at close range perforated his chest and entered his lung. , Extremely difficult to diagnose at A&E as the effect was not noticed for some time, and the wadding stopped any external blood l

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Seems we still have Covid well beaten in London and particularly in my borough, our long term success as of today continuing:

Infection rates
Your Pembrokeshire report: 778 cases per 100,000
England national rate: 465 cases per 100,000
My Croydon London Borough: 236 cases per 100,000

Death rate nationally: 1.3 per 100,000
Death rate my Borough: 0.5 per 100,000

We certainly seem to be getting something very consistently right all this year, remarkable for such a high population density.
Like Italy and Spain, the London area was infected heavily early on; more antibodies per square mile - a test-bed for the rest of the UK to now emulate, to the sound of families weeping.

I sense a convergence of the Brexit and Covid threads - art imitates nature.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Seems we still have Covid well beaten in London and particularly in my borough, our long term success as of today continuing:

Infection rates
Your Pembrokeshire report: 778 cases per 100,000
England national rate: 465 cases per 100,000
My Croydon London Borough: 236 cases per 100,000

Death rate nationally: 1.3 per 100,000
Death rate my Borough: 0.5 per 100,000

We certainly seem to be getting something very consistently right all this year, remarkable for such a high population density.
But back on 23 july Croydon had 9444 per 100k infections compared to 8682 per 100k average for england (guardian). Sage said today most effective way to curb spread is to work from home. Not what boris' sponsors want to hear. as far as I can tell it's the only good advice - social distancing as an inexpensive way to prevent a catastrophe from becoming a clusterfuck (again). But I can understand the conservative logic of it being cheaper to kill citizens to keep donors in the money and "learn lessons" afterwards.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and guerney

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What on earth are you doing up at this time of night? Hypothyroidism is my excuse.
Was about to ask you same! Mine's inability to slow down after week at work. Cant wait for early retirement. I'm more hyperthyroid - anxious - how does the hypothyroidism affect you?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Was about to ask you same! Mine's inability to slow down after week at work. Cant wait for early retirement. I'm more hyperthyroid - anxious - how does the hypothyroidism affect you?
Do you consume caffeine? My hypothyroidism is suspected - blood test to do and Consultant to consult in a few weeks... I generally can't sleep, or nod off like a narcoleptic at odd times, dry skin, Central Serous Retinopathy, Plantar Fasciitis, all sorts of problems which could be caused by all manner of horrible diseases I'm sure. It's so much easier to be a hypochondriac, when one has the internet! The quietude of night is perfect for getting work done. Might go out for a slow jog - even horribly built up urban areas, seem pleasant very early in the morning... The last time I went out this early, there was a speedy bald midget with glasses, moustache and a big nose (Groucho Marx face), wearing shorts and a numbered vest, doing the same but much faster.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Do you consume caffeine? My hypothyroidism is suspected - blood test to do and Consultant to consult in a few weeks... I generally can't sleep, or nod off like a narcoleptic at odd times, dry skin, Central Serous Retinopathy, Plantar Fasciitis, all sorts of problems which could be caused by all manner of horrible diseases I'm sure. It's so much easier to be a hypochondriac, when one has the internet! The quietude of night is perfect for getting work done. Might go out for a slow jog - even horribly built up urban areas, seem pleasant very early in the morning... The last time I went out this early, there was a speedy bald midget with glasses and a big nose, wearing shorts and a numbered vest, doing the same but much faster.
sorry to hear. Hope the consult goes well. retinopathy made me think about stress (cortisol and leakage) - have my own version of stress related inflammation (pompholyx). Often wonder why I make things more difficult by being anxious about things that dont change.
Slow run sound a great idea. My neck of the (london) woods is transformed by moonlight into magical place (from ordinary suburbia). Only thing is I'm fundamentally lazy, and metabolism not exactly fast at 4am. Was overtaken yesterday on 6 celsius run by skinny bloke bounding past like a randy ostrich (in shorts, often wonder about other peoples' thrrmostats)

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Only thing is I'm fundamentally lazy, and metabolism not exactly fast at 4am.
A few rounds of sit-ups, with short rests in between, to warm up?

have my own version of stress related inflammation (pompholyx).
What causes it?

sorry to hear. Hope the consult goes well. retinopathy made me think about stress (cortisol and leakage)
The eye consultant mentioned stress - airline pilots usually suffer from CSR, now many who use computer screens. I dealt with stress using something akin to self-hypnosis and this:

...to no avail (CSR), but I felt better.

I'm putting my faith and effort into being fitter, at the mo. I want to avoid drug regimes for as long as possible, because then it's a sliding slope to being all tubed, cabled and plumbed into my desk or bed working... like pods in The Matrix film.

Hormonal imbalances are well worth resolving, I feel: Both my (very old) cats died with hypothyroidism, which led to tumours. I only found out about their hypothyroidism when the inoperable tumours were discovered.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As for heat pumps my figures make interesting reading. Of 17500 hours of compressor ie heat pump operation , It called on auxiliary power .ie my older oil burner for a total of 92 hours. So that is not not really" often".
And we had it serviced this year for the first time ... The service was i think about 200 but the guy wasn't happy about a circulation pump which was noisy , so that was another 150.. and is much quieter.
Your figures make interesting reading.
17500 hours , major service interval: I take it that the heatpump works more or less all the time? that would equate to about 2-3 years.
That is a lot shorter than 4-5 years for gas boilers.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"Anti-vaccination and anti-lockdown protesters are organising themselves online to confront MPs in person, Sky News has found.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But I can understand the conservative logic of it being cheaper to kill citizens to keep donors in the money and "learn lessons" afterwards.
our current infection rate is apparently twice the combined infection rate of Germany, France and Spain. I suspect that the causes are not only the lack of face mask wearing and the desire to keep restaurants and pubs full, but also the less effectiveness of the AZ vaccine against catching Covid.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hypothyroidism really messed up my sleep pattern. I'd go to bed, fall asleep, then wake up anywhere from half to two hours later. Often remaining awake for hours.

Once I started with levothyroxine, things improved, slowly. I have always taken mine at bed-time.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Are you as thick as two very short planks?
Do you really need to be told this:
UK drivers told to shop around as petrol prices head to new highs
Supermarket fuel can be up to 5p a litre cheaper for petrol and up to 6p lower for diesel, says AA

Who'd ha' thought it? Find something cheaper and you pay less...

Advertisers