Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Obviously its not my money she was spending, and I don't know ,nor care about the mission she was on to OZ , but taking fast secure transport for official State business , even if it is expensive, is one of the actions I do approve of. Of course its one set of rules for the Proles and another for their Rulers .. and it should be so. That is why one selects Leaders ..so they can make fast executive decisions if and when needed, and not be looking over their shoulder at penny pinching hurlers on the ditch. But like I said , it matters what the visit was about.
And that's exactly why we will never move forward with environment. We can all justify what we want. Lizz Truss in Business Class would be equally secure as on a private jet. Nobody is willing to change a thing, and this single journey for one person put 500 tonnes of Co2 into atmosphere. Nothing to do with cost but I, m fairly sure half a million quid could have been spent better elsewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
spacex wants to fire off 3 starships a day they are mining earth to set up a private corporation on mars o_O

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
spacex wants to fire off 3 starships a day they are mining earth to set up a private corporation on mars o_O
Another priority to help destroy the atmosphere.. Fecking ridiculous.. Yet, we are all told turn your heating down, fit insulation, buy electric cars, don't burn wood in wood burners, don't buy gas boilers, drive slowly and bin your filthy two strokes.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another priority to help destroy the atmosphere.. Fecking ridiculous.. Yet, we are all told turn your heating down, fit insulation, buy electric cars, don't burn wood in wood burners, don't buy gas boilers, drive slowly and bin your filthy two strokes.
You missed give up meat and eat veg instead. :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
You missed give up meat and eat veg instead. :(
joke is last time i looked the mcplant burger costs more than a double quarter pounder with cheese at mc donalds.:rolleyes:

think it was 10p more but still the most expensive hamburger pmsl.

Plant Based Burger
Water, Pea Protein (16%), Rapeseed Oil, Coconut Oil, Flavouring, Rice Protein, Stabiliser (Methyl Cellulose), Potato Starch, Apple Extract, Salt, Pomegranate Extract, Potassium Chloride, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Maize Vinegar, Yeast Extract, Carrot Powder, Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Colour (Beetroot Red), Maltodextrin

Quarter Beef Patty
100% Pure Beef.
No additives, fillers, binders, preservatives or flavour enhancers. Just pure forequarter and flank. A little salt and pepper is added to season after cooking.

cow burger good, plant burger bad taste like shite and costs even more for less.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And that's exactly why we will never move forward with environment. We can all justify what we want. Lizz Truss in Business Class would be equally secure as on a private jet. Nobody is willing to change a thing, and this single journey for one person put 500 tonnes of Co2 into atmosphere. Nothing to do with cost but I, m fairly sure half a million quid could have been spent better elsewhere.
You are missing my point. She is one, you are many. One person only does limited damage, multiple people do plenty of damage. It not a question of justification. Every day your country is flying supersonic jet fighters creating more pollution than that flight. Every day 24/7 your country is running a fleet of submarines creating thousands more pollution. But you see these as national priorities.. Was not her trip a National Priority? ..She is a senior member of your Government , and as such her official time is important Like I say , I don't have any skin in this game, but get real.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You are missing my point. She is one, you are many. One person only does limited damage, multiple people do plenty of damage. It not a question of justification. Every day your country is flying supersonic jet fighters creating more pollution than that flight. Every day 24/7 your country is running a fleet of submarines creating thousands more pollution. But you see these as national priorities.. Was not her trip a National Priority? ..She is a senior member of your Government , and as such her official time is important Like I say , I don't have any skin in this game, but get real.
Out of curiosity how does a fleet of atomic powered submarines create pollution?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Out of curiosity how does a fleet of atomic powered submarines create pollution?
At end of the reactor life the American ones are removed and buried in a site just to the west of the Rockies.

A nasty surprise for some future peoples.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Really!. First plenty of the subs are diesel electric and even the atomic energy ones are highly polluting ... Not in operation but in procurement and subsequent disposal

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Which is not what was being discussed - a fleet of atomic powered submarines. If they were DE they wouldn't be atomic powered.
But, hypothetically in a parralel universe, they may be diesel electric. There liz truss may equally be something other than an existential vacuum (that bring the most obscene banalities to any discourse). In that parralel world it may be worth our while to spend the annual salary of of a crisis intervention team in the NHS on flying her to a meeting of no ******* consequence.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Which is not what was being discussed - a fleet of atomic powered submarines. If they were DE they wouldn't be atomic powered.
My posting did not discuss propulsion technology. I referenced pollution as a general concept, not just atmospheric carbon.. although in their life cycle atomic powered submarines do create a lot.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
My posting did not discuss propulsion technology. I referenced pollution as a general concept, not just atmospheric carbon.. although in their life cycle atomic powered submarines do create a lot.
But you replied to OG's response, which was expressly about atomic powered...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes I read about this a real own goal, and potentially a rerun of the hunt for red October.. Its fair game where it is, and the Chinese would like to confirm what their spies have told them. Why the USN didn't send a torpedo down onto the craft beggars belief.
They might want the Chinese to believe they have a new improved version of the catflap they left closed last time? Or maybe they need a retrieval for insurance purposes? Perhaps they merely wish to calculate how long their new automatic catflap technology endured before failing?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Don't talk rubbish Danidl. It's not your style.
£500,000 to get a single person to Australia is utterly ridiculous by any standards. Throw in the fact journey probably wasn't necessary anyhow and then take into account both the journey's pollution cost and probably as importantly the message it sends it becomes even more stupid. She would have been perfectly safe on commercial flights and would have arrived 30 minutes earlier.
One rule for Government... Another for us..
It would have sent out an important message. We all need to exercise restraint. This journey and Bezos/Weirdy beard rich boy branson's playing spacemen just tells whole world rules don't apply if you are super rich or work for Government. It's exactly same as Johnson celebrating during lockdown but actually far worse.
I doubt you and I produce 500 tonnes of Co2 in our entire lives. Truss has just done so on a jaunt to Australia. If there were no alternative, I, d agree. But there were alternatives, in fact flights she could have taken were running under 50% occupancy at time.
Half a million pounds and and God knows how much fuel just up in smoke.. Well we know actually. Enough fuel to produce 500 tonnes of Co2. She could have overflown ice fields and barrier reef on her way. Last chance to look at them, they, ll be gone soon. Now, I wonder why.
It simply amazes me that somebody with your obvious intelligence and depth of education can't see the irony in this futile journey.

Last edited:
  • Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

• Informative

Advertisers