Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson can't be replying with the didn't hear anything, didn't see anything, didn't do anything, entirely innocent, spiel if he actually needs a lawyer. (I suspect that lawyers at that level cost more per metre than wallpaper.)

Meanwhile, it has been reported that the prime minister is working with a personal lawyer on his response to the police investigation.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Wouldn't place too much credence in an article that says:

According to the Kyodo report, the company develops equipment for nuclear fusion reactors, including a key device that effectively collects heat with a temperature of over 100 million Celsius generated in a reactor.
There is nothing incorrect in the article. .. . The temperature of the confined plasma must be at those temperatures in order for sufficient high energy collisions to take place for fusion .. , now with the fusion there are extremely energetic particles ..including photons emitted and these are what is collected and used to drive turbines .. even a sheath of black steel will absorb these incandescent energies and heat steam .. I hope they are more sophisticated than that ..

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Every time I check the weather forecast, the maximum windspeed goes up. Now 69 mph at 09:00 on Friday.

That is pretty damned blowy.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Every time I check the weather forecast, the maximum windspeed goes up. Now 69 mph at 09:00 on Friday.

That is pretty damned blowy.
Yep, it's really blown today.
Screenshot_20220216_190827.jpg

That's not me jumping, my claim to fame is being eldest out sailing which isn't so photogenic. Was superb out there though, managed 90 minutes or so..!!!(It's Rhosneigr about 11 this morning)
Better than sat on settee moaning about Brexit, Putin, Covid, Johnson, Tories, Starmer or Royals..

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
A person standing with their backside to an open fires , will say something like .." theres great heat " there. , Nothing beats coal for a good ould temperature. ". And we know what is meant...
When I read something that has much technical information and claims to explain - poor wording undermines the message.

What is said colloquially is another thing altogether.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
A person standing with their backside to an open fires , will say something like .." theres great heat " there. , Nothing beats coal for a good ould temperature. ". And we know what is meant...
In the good old days of intense, personal, factional disputes on the thread (about brexit) I used to have this experience (of standing with my backside to it muttering "there's great heat there")

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the good old days of intense, personal, factional disputes on the thread (about brexit) I used to have this experience (of standing with my backside to it muttering "there's great heat there")
Not so much comfort from that source now. As of February 2022, 48 percent of people in Great Britain thought that it was wrong to leave the European Union, compared with 39 percent who thought it was the right decision.

Ain't hindsight wonderful.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think you must be entirely missing the difficulty of the concept of heat having a temperature.
When I read something that has much technical information and claims to explain - poor wording undermines the message.

What is said colloquially is another thing altogether.
the original text:
The company develops equipment for nuclear fusion reactors, including a key device that effectively collects heat with a temperature of over 100 million degrees Celsius.

should have the word 'with' (a temperature) replaced by the word 'at'.

In tokamaks, the D-D fusion produces He3 and neutron, most of the fusion energy is carried away by the neutrons as kinetic energy. The tokamak collects the energy from the neutrons with a jacket of liquid metal.
In thermodynamics, heat and temperature are connected by the internal energy function.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
And now cash for honours investigating Prince's Foundation.

Perhaps there is something in the "blood" argument?
There are curious links between conservative donors and the costly German celebrity family

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Yet another utterly predictable (and was predicted many times - here and elsewhere):

Introduction: Many UK exporters say government’s Brexit trade deal is bad for business

Good morning, and welcome to our rolling coverage of the world economy, the financial markets, the eurozone and business.

UK businesses are calling on the government for more help exporting to Europe, after new research found that many firms believed the EU trade deal was not helping them grow or increase sales.

And, later on the same page, a bit of help for Labour:

The BCC’s survey results are “extremely worrying”, says Nick Thomas-Symonds, shadow international trade secretary:

The Government have been asleep at the wheel and have shown a complete lack of support to help businesses who are seeking help.

“Labour have been clear that it wants to make Brexit work. The Government should be negotiating a veterinary agreement and working pragmatically with the EU to ensure goods flow easily, including, making sure that there are not delays at our ports and that ministers are giving the tools needed to industry so that trade flows easily.

“Business prosperity, job security and livelihoods depend on reliable supply chains. Ministers need to urgently listen to business and give them the support they need.”

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
  • :D
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

Advertisers