Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A basic UPS would have been fine for me. Now three very brief breaks. Am impressed how well MacOS handles restarts after loss of power.
Well... every sensitive electronic device of mine is behind multiple surge protectors, as my lights keep dipping they may be legion within the local grid. Somehow, I've never bought a UPS for a location where I actually needed one.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Don't know about you, but it seems just a little late. Eunice has passed over here - just a windy day now and quite sunny.

And is there someone in the Met Office with a sense of humour? EU-nice. :)

Storm Eunice: Cobra meeting called as UK braces for ‘worst storm in decades’
Millions told to stay home to avoid winds of up to 90mph as army placed on ‘high readiness standby’
Ministers and officials will meet on Friday afternoon, after Storm Eunice prompted rare red weather warnings – meaning danger to life – across much of England and Wales.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well... every sensitive electronic device of mine is behind multiple surge protectors, as my lights keep dipping they may be legion within the local grid. Somehow, I've never bought a UPS for a location where I actually needed one.
Our electricity is pretty good. There is, though, a section of about a mile which is overground. Must be a fairly high voltage but not sure exact rating. And we are not that many miles from a fairly hefty power station.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't know about you, but it seems just a little late. Eunice has passed over here - just a windy day now and quite sunny.
Ever since the October 1987 storm, exaggeration has been the order of the day at the Met Office, desperate to never get caught out again. Their website rarely seems to be without a warning of some kind or other.

This time it seems the peak strength was in the South of England rather than Wales, with a record gust of 122 mph recorded on the Isle of Wight.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Ever since the October 1987 storm, exaggeration has been the order of the day at the Met Office, desperate to never get caught out again. Their website rarely seems to be without a warning of some kind or other.

This time it seems the peak strength was in the South of England rather than Wales, with a record gust of 122 mph recorded on the Isle of Wight.
We've had a few trees, power and phone lines down. Nothing else yet reported.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've had a few trees, power and phone lines down. Nothing else yet reported.
It's been continuously gaining strength here. Nothing had been moving earlier but a moment ago a number of recycling bins and lids came hurtling past my home.

Not an unusual occurrence though, our steep sided valley channels southerly winds along its length and sending all the bins from outside homes northwards through the estate. Although they are council bins everyone has their house number painted on them so they can be restored each time.

Reactions: oyster

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021
I've been out on my bike this afternoon with the sole purpose of taking back a Strava King of the Mountain (KOM) segment. An old iron viaduct has recently been opened as a cycle path and I claimed KOM on the day it opened late last year. A friend took it off me during the last storm :). I've been out in an even bigger storm today (60 MPH gust tailwind) and reclaimed it. I don't think it will ever be beaten:D:D:D:D I think I am now officially a sad bastard!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It's been continuously gaining strength here. Nothing had been moving earlier but a moment ago a number of recycling bins and lids came hurtling past my home.

Not an unusual occurrence though, our steep sided valley channels southerly winds along its length and sending all the bins from outside homes northwards through the estate. Although they are council bins everyone has their house number painted on them so they can be restored each time.
Were they doing "Barrel rolls?" :cool:

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I've been out on my bike this afternoon with the sole purpose of taking back a Strava King of the Mountain (KOM) segment. An old iron viaduct has recently been opened as a cycle path and I claimed KOM on the day it opened late last year. A friend took it off me during the last storm :). I've been out in an even bigger storm today (60 MPH gust tailwind) and reclaimed it. I don't think it will ever be beaten:D:D:D:D I think I am now officially a sad bastard!
Employing an "Act of God" sponsorship has ruined your amateur status:rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: Mrs Honeyman

Mrs Honeyman

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2021

Three people have died in the storm today and it’s all over the news. 158 people have died from Covid today and there’s not a whisper.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Ironically, Churchill, at least, did fight (but, obviously, not die).

And I think there are wars which get going due to various forms of separatist or "oppressed" minority (as they see themselves, at least). The underlying tensions might well have been exploited by politicians, but they might have existed for generations.
At omdurman with a mauser, but I think there's a difference between choosing to live out adolescent fantasies and being conscripted into the Ukraine front line (and perhaps between dervishes and Russian infantry). However, in the spirit of being sad, he knew a good gun (gave his mauser a name and its 1500 fps bullets were the most powerful thing until 357 magnum came along and adopted by Russians as tokarev pistol round for it's ability to penetrate)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
At the moment, today's weather seems as bad as yesterday's. But according to forecast, it is only 41, when yesterday was around 68.
Wind forecasting last 6 months or so has been worst I can ever remember, it's always been exaggerated (especially so since the Michael Fish and Kew Gardens destruction) but recently its been appalling. The miles I, ve driven to sail for wind to then not materialise is more in last year than any previous..
Windfinder, Windguru, the Met office, all of them hardly worth reading.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Three people have died in the storm today and it’s all over the news. 158 people have died from Covid today and there’s not a whisper.
If they did of course.

As little as under 1 in 1000 Covid deaths reported have been of people with no underlying serious conditions. Overwhelmingly Covid deaths are of those with serious underlying conditions, often coupled with old age, itself a serious underlying condition.

But we take the lazy option of recording all those deaths as due to Covid, simply because it is a new and unfamiliar disease which they have coincidentally caught.

We could have done the same previously with the common cold, for all those who died after having coincidentally caught a cold, but didn't since that was such a routine illness.

Maybe as we learn to live with Covid, it will become such a routine ailment that we'll stop automatically using it as the cause of death for all who have happened to catch it around the period of their death. i.e. within 28 days, or within 60 days of a positive test, the latter used for the 2020 figures.

Just imagine how many deaths would have been recorded as due to the common cold if they automatically included all who died within 60 days / two months of catching a cold.

That rather puts the issue into perspective, does it not?

As I've already posted many times, a little less hysteria is in order.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Does anyone believe him?

Johnson departed from recent US rhetoric by saying it was still unclear what Russian president Vladimir Putin was going to do. The prime minister said he hopes diplomacy will succeed, but the world needs to be “unflinchingly honest” about the Russian threat – and the huge build-up of troops and naval power on Ukraine’s borders.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Advertisers