Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ah, the loss of childhood freedom, spontaneity, disinhibition. The challenge, I guess, is to try to return to that place before we pop our clogs..
Did you mention that your Alsatian in Africa was better than therapists? They get to you because one can love pets unconditionally, and they're unlimited sponges for love - you end up loving certain people less and less every time they p*ss you off, till you completely hate that person... whereas say if a dog spoils a carpet, it's instantly forgiven.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ah, the loss of childhood freedom, spontaneity, disinhibition. The challenge, I guess, is to try to return to that place before we pop our clogs..
You mentioned meditation too in a post somewhere... Meditation can trigger mental illness in approx 1 in 10, about the same as weed. A mate of mine got sectioned a few years ago by doing both. I think it was meditation (his definition fof it) which tipped him over the edge, because he's always been a stable stoner.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Powerful lasers don't have to be powerful enough to completely destroy hypersonic nuclear missiles, merely heat them to the point of component inoperability, or deform/disable features which enable flight, thereby altering their trajectories significantly enough to reduce damage. Adaptive optics have come a long way. Someday they'll be a viable defence.
I vaguely remember some stuff about surface wave conductance, refraction and reflection as we studied Maxwell's equations in my second year at uni. Essentially, to deflect your laser beam, the missile's surface needs to be coated with a layer of highly conductive material like copper or silver and a layer of dielectric material like quartz. Also, there would be a thin layer of plasma around the missile head. The progress in laser mirrors should parallel the progress in energy of your lasers so lasers against missiles may be an unwinnable race.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I vaguely remember some stuff about surface wave conductance, refraction and reflection as we studied Maxwell's equations in my second year at uni. Essentially, to deflect your laser beam, the missile's surface needs to be coated with a layer of highly conductive material like copper or silver and a layer of dielectric material like quartz. Also, there would be a thin layer of plasma around the missile head. The progress in laser mirrors should parallel the progress in energy of your lasers so lasers against missiles may be an unwinnable race.
Isn't success is dependant on laser power? A warhead reflecting enough of some form of sufficiently powerful laser energy could heat plasma temporarily to a temperatures approaching 10ˆ9 kelvins, to melt/deform alter the missiles trajectory, or cause it's components to malfunction. A gigantic defensive gridded wall of drones carrying aerial mines and a multitude of sensors, would be my suggestion to the top brass, if they can be deployed fast, high and close enough together... but the Russians could make extremely skinny stealth hypersonic nuclear missiles to slip through the net... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Isn't success is dependant on laser power? A warhead reflecting enough of some form of sufficiently powerful laser energy could heat plasma temporarily to a temperatures approaching 10ˆ9 kelvins, to melt/deform alter the missiles trajectory, or cause it's components to malfunction. A gigantic defensive gridded wall of drones carrying aerial mines and a multitude of sensors, would be my suggestion to the top brass, if they can be deployed fast, high and close enough together... but the Russians could make extremely skinny stealth hypersonic nuclear missiles to slip through the net... :rolleyes:
that is possible if the incidental energy is absorbed by the target.
Most photons aren't absorbed, that why we see things.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The juxtaposition of the two sections I've enlarged in bold is what is intolerable to me.

Killing and maiming so many, creating a huge refugee crisis and destroying so much infrastructure is inherent to that policy of fighting, totally unnecessary and not benefitting the whole of humanity.

Did all of the previous wars stop this one? No, and this one will not stop any future wars. There can be no benefit. Listen to the language of the Ukrainians now on what they are going to do to the Russians. They've sunk to the same level as the Russian behaviour, it's what war does to people.

Being a good neighbour seven years or more ago could have prevented any chance of this war, it should at least have been tried, instead of the idiotically aggressive language the Ukrainian president used then and is continuing to use.

Failing that working and Russian forces massing on the border years later should have been met by him taking the high moral ground with Putin with this message to him, made public worldwide:

"For many centuries we were first Russians, second Ukrainians. We are not in any way a threat to Russia and never intend to be since we are brothers, neighbours and would be friends.

As such we will refuse to fight you, so you do not need any forces or need to use any force to enter our country.

If you have a problem which Ukraine can help with, you only need to ask and we will do everything we reasonably can to help.

I look forward to meeting you."

That would give peace a chance. If it failed to get a mutual agreement and Ukraine capitulated with no fighting to unreasonable Russian demands, the West could still have taken all the same harsh punitive measures against Russia that it has taken now.

But that way there would be no deaths, no maiming, no wrecked infrastructure, no refugees. Just a wholly innocent nation of peaceful people made the victim of a ruthlessly unreasonable neigbour who is being duly punished long term.

That is the civilised way to deal with this issue.
The civilised way to deal with this problem is to remove the cause, not simply kowtow to dictators.
Putin has to go
HItler should have been removed after he started using the same methods as Putin has done.
Letting get away with it was the biggest mistake of the last century

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

it's not the same type of application. The solar sail is aimed at collecting the maximum amount of photons, the beam hits it constantly at a perpendicular angle whereas your laser is aimed fleetingly (about 1-2 seconds) more or less at the nose of a bullet coming at it at 4-10 times the speed of sound. It's not like a photon torpedo which delivers its payload once inside the target. The nose is very capable of and will deflect and spread the incoming beam, the amount of absorption won't be enough to heat it, penetrate and destroy it.

L

lydmilaivan

I think there is a lot of truth in the above. I'm not sure that Brexiters don't care about the economy, I think they do. But they can see the risks to the economy don't outweigh the long term risks to the UK as a whole by remaining part of the failing EU and eventually getting dragged down with it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think there is a lot of truth in the above. I'm not sure that Brexiters don't care about the economy, I think they do. But they can see the risks to the economy don't outweigh the long term risks to the UK as a whole by remaining part of the failing EU and eventually getting dragged down with it.
How does that balance against the long term risks of departing and not being supported by the successful EU and eventually drowning due to lack of support?

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Woosh.. what you are describing as a protective layer is an aluminium coated mylar balloon. Those novelty toy shops will have a bonanza.

Reactions: Woosh

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Apparently Putin has published a list of countries he feels have been decidedly unfriendly towards him recently, to say the least its quite an extensive list but missing Finland and Sweden?? Monaco even made it on, perhaps for not prosecuting the Ukrainian mechanic who opened sea cocks on his Russian boss' mega yacht.. Apparently it was a bit of a navigation risk sat on the bottom in the harbour. Report I read said mechanic had warned rest of crew and immediately gave himself upto the Police, who questioned him for 20 minutes and let him go. He explained owner was some Russian oligarch who made his money selling arms.. And the occasional leg no doubt.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Then no doubt he into his kitchen to knock up a couple of molotov cocktails to drop down from the winding gear on the roof of the building
That would help them to "Go up" in a manner of speaking
:cool:
Somehow, despite its ironic etymology, it sounds odd to be using Molotov cocktails against Russians.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And since it wasn't, it should have been said currently.
No... Not after 26th. February. That was D day. Once Russian kit crossed into independent territory to impose their will by force of arms, they forfeited that opportunity. That is the point on which everyone else on this site disagrees with you. Self defense is a human right. Now I have no knowledge of Ukrainian military capabilities, and so I assumed they would be just rolled over .That the comments being made on 26 th were just senseless bravo, . I was wrong.
Every death either Russian or Ukrainian , every building destroyed is on Russia's head.

Last edited:

Advertisers