Brexit, for once some facts.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Will we see another "Mary Rose"? A fortune spent to raise it and seal it away in a huge glass case on exhibition?

I wouldn't be surprised, knowing our habit of prioritising history over current needs.
Best to leave it where it is IMO. It's done quite well on its own without our misguided attempts to preserve it for history.

TTFN
John.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What could possibly be the kompromat on Biden?
Biden is right, the MIG 29 is of no use to the Ukrainians. It was once among the best air to air fighters and the worlds best close combat fighter. But not any more and no use for air to ground operation. If it's flown against Russia by Ukrainians it will be NATO v Russia and the Russians would retaliate. Their BVR (beyond visual range) capability would mean the MIG29s, which have no BVR capability, would be downed by an enemy they never saw.

Quote:

"Russia's aerospace industry has displayed enormous creativity in missile design over the last 25 years, spanning the turbulent last decade of the Cold War, and the post Cold War era. During this period we have seen the incremental evolution of weapons established in service in the last years of the Cold War, the deployment of projects started during the Cold War, and a good number of entirely new projects which emerged during the 1990s period.

The operators of Russian fighters can now access a remarkably diverse range of weapons, available more than often with a range of different seekers sharing common airframes, or common seeker designs integrated into different airframes.

The result of this diversity in airframe performance and seeker capabilities is a veritable nightmare for Western planners as well as designers of electronic and infrar-red countermeasures suites. An inbound BVR missile could be equipped with one of several different semi-active radar homing, active radar homing, infrared-homing or passive X-band anti-radiation homing seekers. The missile might be using one of several possible airframes or derivatives, with diverse kinematic performance."

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just realised that Johnson has ranted on about an HMY Britannia replacement and seems to love hopping onto private aircraft.

What will HMG do with the confiscated aircraft and, if there are any, billionaire yachts? Re-purpose to number 10?

Have I found the real reason for the sanctions on these items?

Reactions: snafu and flecc

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Just realised that Johnson has ranted on about an HMY Britannia replacement and seems to love hopping onto private aircraft.

What will HMG do with the confiscated aircraft and, if there are any, billionaire yachts? Re-purpose to number 10?

Have I found the real reason for the sanctions on these items?
I didn't know if I should give this a Big Grin, Like, Informative or Agree, so you got a Big Grin. :D

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They did years ago, it was called a Niva. Brilliant off road but rubbish on it. Could get mine places no (standard) Landie could venture.. I loved mine.. Nobody else did though.
Yes, the Niva was a good design for Russia's road conditions.

Today's Ladas are mainly Renault based, but still some originality.

Autocar's museum slideshow reveals many of the Lada oddities over time.

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's history and I know that of course,

I am not being disingenuous, I quoted the BBC accurately on what they reported Zelenskyy did late yesterday in phoning Putin. They said pleading and there was no mention of asking or meaningful. The point was made that he repeatedly asked for compromise.

You are getting just as bad as the rest in here with your increasingly dishonest sniping at me, just like yesterday's misrepresenting what I posted to score a dishonest point.
I choose not to respond to what you had added .. so as not to add fuel to the fire .. please refer back to that posting where you used the word " currently", in about 10 days into the invasion. You will see a certain consistency in my postings..

It is noteworthy that Putin is responding somewhat positively to requests from China...
I can see the end result as Crimea being ceded to Russia ,and the Donbas pre invasion territories coming under a UN protectorate ..and of course no further talk of NATO

Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Yes, the Niva was a good design for Russia's road conditions.

Today's Ladas are mainly Renault based, but still some originality.

Autocar's museum slideshow reveals many of the Lada oddities over time.
I, ve lost touch now but engine in mine was certainly Fiat based... Recognised quite a few bits from a Fiat 124 I, d had years before.

And on another story... Honestly true.
Used to be a member of a ski club in North of England... We had 2 slip ways about 70 yards apart..
Rolled up early one morning, dropped boat in, motored to jetty and on way noticed a Lada Niva roof sticking a couple of feet out of water. Moored up and went to club house to be met by a young chap, early 20s utterly wet through. He asked if I could pull his Niva, with my ski boat, to slip way. Ski boats are powerful things but no way on earth would it shift a Niva sat in 3ft of water and 2ft of silt. Lad had had a bet he could go down one slip, drive along banking and up the other. He lost.
We recovered car following week with a caterpillar tractor and a long chain. Believe it or not, lad drained engine oil, cleaned and WD'd everything. Put new points, coil and battery on,drained petrol tank and put fresh fuel in, turned it over with plugs out for a while and after 30 seconds turning over it fired up... He drove it off site. I couldn't believe it. True, honestly.
Try that with modern car full of electronics. No chance.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
please refer back to that posting where you used the word " currently", in about 10 days into the invasion.
Intolerance on the meaning of currently, when I'd been posting of the period since 2014 and when my post you replied to made it absolutely clear that I was referring to before the invasion.

You quite often have inconsistencies and typos in your posts, but I never dream af using them in nit picking to take advantage.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Niva sat in 3ft of water and 2ft of silt. Lad had had a bet he could go down one slip, drive along banking and up the other. He lost.
We recovered car following week with a caterpillar tractor and a long chain. Believe it or not, lad drained engine oil, cleaned and WD'd everything. Put new points, coil and battery on,drained petrol tank and put fresh fuel in, turned it over with plugs out for a while and after 30 seconds turning over it fired up... He drove it off site. I couldn't believe it. True, honestly.
Try that with modern car full of electronics. No chance.
So true of modern cars, and indeed aircraft like the F35. Too much sophistication is making them delicate and severely limiting the conditions they can tolerate.

I used to leave a Fiat Tipo for three months unused and it would start instantly as if just used. A Nissan Qashqai many years later had a battery too low to start it after less than three weeks unused, thanks to its always on electronics.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Intolerance on the meaning of currently, when I'd been posting of the period since 2014 and when my post you replied to made it absolutely clear that I was referring to before the invasion.
I think thing is Danidl this subject is going to polarise opinions. I, ve come to conclusion things are best left unsaid . It's just too emotive. Think we all know what opinions we all hold and that collectively we all hate and detest the situation we now find ourselves in, with innocent people being killed, families destroyed and all the risks we now face. Terrible times. I, m not offering opinions on it any more.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think thing is Danidl this subject is going to polarise opinions. I, ve come to conclusion things are best left unsaid . It's just too emotive. Think we all know what opinions we all hold and that collectively we all hate and detest the situation we now find ourselves in, with innocent people being killed, families destroyed and all the risks we now face. Terrible times. I, m not offering opinions on it any more.
A lot of truth in this, but I wont desist since someone at least should speak up for the pacifist approach and the application of much more intelligence. Having war and its horrific consequences as the only option simply isn't acceptable in the 21st century.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
A lot of truth in this, but I wont desist since someone at least should speak up for the pacifist approach and the application of much more intelligence. Having war and its horrific consequences as the only option simply isn't acceptable in the 21st century.
On a somewhat different (hard-nosed, realist) tack, zelinsky (today viz bombing of school and "if not now, when will nato close airspace, what needs to happen") is, I'm afraid right. War sooner or later between Russia and nato is now inevitable. Was having a walk with two friends/business associates Sunday and we spoke about the incomprehensible dramatic change of circumstances in the lives of average Ukrainians over the past fourteen days. Then about the fact that this may hold a message for us ("the road" anyone?). Am having meeting at work tomorrow about contingency plans if, to put it modestly, the **** hits the fan

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
War sooner or later between Russia and nato is now inevitable.
Not within any foreseeable future.

If necessary the USA will see to it that it doesn't happen, as their ruling on the MIG29s shows. Following Iraq and Afghanistan they have no stomach for more war. And once Russia manages to take full control of Ukraine, they won't have any stomach left for more war either. They didn't have the stomach for this one, the venture only happening because they thought it would be just another Georgia style walk over

This time it will take more years for normality to return between Russia and the West than after previous spats, but return it will eventually.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The link below is the latest vid from Dr John Campbell and concerns some stats about the Pfizer vaccine, unfortunately some of the information has been redacted so its impossible to work out what is the percentage of people who have suffered harm from this vaccine. My question is why would this information not be made available, anybody got any ideas?
The Pfizer documents - YouTube

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We are of one mind on this....

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers