Brexit, for once some facts.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
No, just cars, though light vans and trucks are encouraged to go that way.

There will still be potential for them in many different areas. The military can't expect convenient charging points as they advance into a country! Then there's farming, construction and remote mining machinery.

The current banning is only concerned with eliminating the worst polluting offender, ic cars, responsible for a huge proportionof all vehicle polution.
Seems like typical world government meddling to me. Splitting energy rights across different sectors. All they will succeed in doing is making it more expensive for everyone. (But I guess that's the ultimate plan). I'm looking forward to when HS2 becomes the ultimate cycle lane. :)

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm looking forward to when HS2 becomes the ultimate cycle lane. :)
HS2 and the like are the future, mainland Europe is ready now. High speed trains can replace all internal flying and much of the car roads use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
HS2 and the like are the future, mainland Europe is ready now. High speed trains can replace all internal flying and much of the car roads use.

hs2 wont beat that :)

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
If we were talking about a UK High Speed Rail Network I would be more inclined to agree with you but even the original plans, ignoring the current stripped back version will do nothing of the sort.

Once it dawns on the population of London that not only can the great unwashed get from Manchester to London in under 2 hours but they can also get to Manchester in a similar time all it will achieve is pushing up property prices along the route and those further north will all be complaining that they can no longer afford to live in their local area because investors/landlords/2nd home owners etc have pushed prices out of the reach of the local population. (Much like happened in South Wales when the M4 provided Londoners with a quick route to the SW wales coast - And M4/M5 did a similar job to Cornwall and Devon)..

In truth HS2's benefit has never been about passenger transport. It's part of a bigger picture involving freight movement.

TTFN
John.

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the BBC saturates the news with Harry's quote that he killed 25 taliban fighters when he was helicopter pilot.
It seems to have succeeded.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Once it dawns on the population of London that not only can the great unwashed get from Manchester to London in under 2 hours but they can also get to Manchester in a similar time all it will achieve is pushing up property prices along the route and those further north will all be complaining that they can no longer afford to live in their local area because investors/landlords/2nd home owners etc have pushed prices out of the reach of the local population. (Much like happened in South Wales when the M4 provided Londoners with a quick route to the SW wales coast - And M4/M5 did a similar job to Cornwall and Devon)..
You really are an incredibly negative person. I don't disagree, but there is a big positive aspect to what you say.

In truth HS2's benefit has never been about passenger transport. It's part of a bigger picture involving freight movement.
Of course. Since the collapse of the Central Rail project long ago, HS routes would always be about freight as well, especially now ic powered road use is being gradually legislated against.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Perhaps. But when was the last time anybody voluntarily travelled on a train (or any public transport) in the UK? It's a massively overpriced underwhelming smorgasbord of overcrowded unsanitary unventilated dysphoric delights. I'd go out of my way to avoid it. For the circa two or three hundred quid anywhere on HS2, as on any other part of the pseudoprivatised railway, is bound to cost I'd happily fork out for a used ev, look for superchargers and enjoy a scenic drive that's on my terms.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: daveboy and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps. But when was the last time anybody voluntarily travelled on a train (or any public transport) in the UK? It's a massively overpriced underwhelming smorgasbord of overcrowded unsanitary unventilated dysphoric delights. I'd go out of my way to avoid it. For the circa two or three hundred quid anywhere on HS2, as on any other part of the pseudoprivatised railway, is bound to cost I'd happily fork out for a used ev, look for superchargers and enjoy a scenic drive that's on my terms.
As I posted, the future. Things do change, albeit very slowly in Britain.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
You really are an incredibly negative person. I don't disagree, but there is a big positive aspect to what you say.
Why do you think I'm an incredibly negative person? Pragmatist possibly.

The government's levelling up philosophy seems to assume everyone north of Watford has some inane desire to get to London as quickly as possible. When in fact all the average worker "Up North" wants is good secure career opportunities and the ability to live a happy life where they were born. A decent rail service connecting Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield etc would be far more relevant.

I have a very positive appreciation of the advances made regarding EV's and the supporting infrastructure. (HS2 is an EV). As I get older my lifestyle moves closer to accommodating my perceived shortfalls, and initial purchase cost of an EV is probably the biggest remaining obstacle. But it is tempered by the stifling of green transport alternatives by governments and other lobby's. They say this is the problem and this is how you will fix it instead of saying this is the problem and trusting technology to come up with a solution.

As you already mentioned in previous posts it will be a staged process with farming, air travel and shipping for example (Plus of course military applications) having different timelines. I am optimistic that viable alternatives will be developed/discovered which will work alongside pure EV transport.

So, not negative, I'm Pragmatic and possibly a little frustrated. ;)

TTFN
John.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why do you think I'm an incredibly negative person?
I posted that because each positive I mentioned was met with a negative response. For example you see HS2 as spreading higher housing costs northwards, true. But you fail to mention the accompanying improvements in the life of the people living in that higher priced housing.

We've been through all this in London many years ago and the lives of most here have been transformed from that my parents lived here. Their origins were very much working class and poor, renting in often Dickensian conditions, walking, cycling and a holiday a rarity. But we, their four children, all became more middle class, property and car owning, all now commonplace here. That's what happens with advances, they don't exclude the existing population, they include almost all of them.

The government's levelling up philosophy seems to assume everyone north of Watford has some inane desire to get to London as quickly as possible.
Governments have clearly stated many times about HS2 that they want to include the North in the prosperity of the south that communication with Europe helps to bring. It's our shockingly bad road and rail communications that sit at the root of so much of our economic failure.

HS rail is about two way communication. For example all the thriving French businesses in Kent and the fact that London is one of France's largest cities by population since HS1. The vast communication improvement had brought substantial economic benefit to us both.

HS2 will let the North share in that.

Reactions: snafu

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I posted that because each positive I mentioned was met with a negative response. For example you see HS2 as spreading higher housing costs northwards, true. But you fail to mention the accompanying improvements in the life of the people living in that higher priced housing.
I didn't mean to disagree, more playing devils advocate. :D I think we actually agree on almost everything. Where we digress is in our confidence related to human behaviour when given the opportunities HS2 etc offers.

TTFN
John.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where we digress is in our confidence related to human behaviour when given the opportunities HS2 etc offers.
I don't disagree on that John, I'm rather despairing of British behaviour, even more so since the Brexit vote to leave the EU.

Jacob Rees Mogg's Retained EU Law (Revocation and Reform) Bill doesn't help when it's specifically designed to make it very difficult to ever get back into the EU and even damages further our current prospects.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: snafu

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
does anyone follow Harry & Meghan saga? The Guardian's article offers some guarded support:
Harry’s allegations are not just about a royal fist fight – but the very real dangers of hereditary power (msn.com)

If you have two boys, would you accept that it's normal that the eldest sone should inherit the family's firm and the other is just plan B?
According to an “insider” after Bill Middleton had planted Ginger, he lay on the floor covered in Winalot and said, “I’m going to tell daddy” Bill Middleton replied “James Hewitt doesn’t frighten me he’s an effing ****”.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
the BBC saturates the news with Harry's quote that he killed 25 taliban fighters when he was helicopter pilot.
It seems to have succeeded.
I never understood why the government thought that the best way to bring democracy to Afghanistan was to send a prince in a helicopter gunship. Very odd.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
As I posted, the future. Things do change, albeit very slowly in Britain.
Indeed. Speaking of change for the better, does anybody know why wes Streeting, our new steve barclay in a year or so, declared receiving 60k from a company that doesn't seem to exist?

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed. Speaking of change for the better, does anybody know why wes Streeting, our new steve barclay in a year or so, declared receiving 60k from a company that doesn't seem to exist?
It's strangely comforting to know our MPs of both persuasions can magic up so much money from nowhere. All potential Chancellors of the Exchequer.

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I hear that, “Green Celebrity Money Maker” Sir Richard Beard is scheduled to chuck some junk into space today. I wouldn’t exactly call it a “rocket launch”. It’s more lighting a firework on a Jumbo. Very “green”.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I never understood why the government thought that the best way to bring democracy to Afghanistan was to send a prince in a helicopter gunship. Very odd.
did anyone watch the ITV Harry interview last night?
I did.
Charles was the only one spared (kind of).
The 3 gorgon women and the sick relationship between the tabloids that own the family and some members of the family were at the root of the feud.

• Informative

Advertisers