Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good to hear from you again OG and particularly pleased to learn that your wife is in a care home, given how unavoidably stressful your life was previously.

I hope you are keeping well.
Thank you for your kind thoughts flecc, I hope you are well too, mine is reasonable, apart from falling off my Ebike when reaching for a crossing button. The bike was at rest, but the front wheel chose to go East, and I went West, then fell backwards onto the road.
A couple of cars very kindly stopped and the occupants picked me up.
Result was I need a new helmet as the back of it hit the road, bruises back and arms, damaged left thumb, a wounded pride, and a telling off from my daughter and the next door neighbor.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Trans Pennine Rail nationalised by end of month

They now join Northern Rail (LNER) in being Tory government owned and run, plus Eastern Rail and Southern Rail both being run by the government. Scottish and Welsh Rail are also already in government hands.

At this rate Labour's long held ambition to re-nationalise rail may be completed before they get into power!!

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
“Now, having been told you're a lazy, woke, inefficient, Remainer, activist, snowflake, you are also now apparently a Machiavellian genius, able to unseat ministers and undermine the settled will of government."

Dave Penman, general secretary of the FDA.

Apparently, the top civil servant who was in charge of selecting which laws to remove is on long term sick leave.
I wonder if Kemi Badenoch would be following Dominic Raab.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder if Kemi Badenoch would be following Dominic Raab.
Hopefully not, at least she has faced down the ERG. 600 EU laws removed is better than the 4000 they wanted. Especially since they are mostly environmental laws this government would ignore anyway, in customary fashion.

We are going to see a lot more of these rows, as the underlying civil service objective to stay connected closely to the EU clashes with the policy of the Tory far right, and maybe even the Labour far left, still in a next government.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I expect they won't even manage 600. At the end of the day, what would they replace them with? Copy and paste?

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I expect they won't even manage 600. At the end of the day, what would they replace them with? Copy and paste?
Probably, though not all need any replacement. I'm guessing that some of the environmental laws would clash with their just announced, overriding intention to further greatly increase our wind turbine fleet. Gaps in the regulations can be very handy at times.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Apparently, the national grid can't connect new wind and solar farms.
Also, Rolls Royce SMRs will run out of money next year if government does not place orders.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently, the national grid can't connect new wind and solar farms.
Also, Rolls Royce SMRs will run out of money next year if government does not place orders.
Agreed, the national grid will need urgent attention, but I think it will get that. We've got so much wind generation at times now that we are actually earning from Europe on odd occasions. I'm sure that's why they intend the further big increase.

I don't think SMRs will get a look-in, with limited money available, any that is will be for more wind, solar and hydro "batteries" to short term store what they generate.

• Agree

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Or "wide backed vagina, camilla"?
IMHO Camilla's likeness won't be as popular

Sex dolls based on Princess Diana, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle among most requested by kinky users
The royal women are among the most desired.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Nigel Farage was on Newsnight last night. He said 'brexit has failed' - whatever that means.
He is a formidable debater though.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Dyson moans about state of UK science and tech, forgets to suck up his own mess

Brexit-supporting offshore merchant wonders what has happened to all the investment

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Dirty-bomb antidote: Drug trial begins in US

First-in-Human Trial for Oral Drug to Remove Radioactive Contaminants
A pioneering clinical trial of an experimental oral medication designed to eliminate radioactive contaminants from within the body has commenced.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Dirty-bomb antidote: Drug trial begins in US

First-in-Human Trial for Oral Drug to Remove Radioactive Contaminants
A pioneering clinical trial of an experimental oral medication designed to eliminate radioactive contaminants from within the body has commenced.

Interesting stuff. Can't help thinking about the piglet, who seem to be furiously trying to grease himself, again, as part of also trying to get rid of some contaminants

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Johnson made me think of Donald Trump and his efforts to get re-elected.
There is no such thing as bad publicity or is there?
By the way, do you listen to Any Questions and Any Answers? Same with BBC QT, the subject last week was immigration, chiefly legal immigration. Nobody seems to know what to do about that.
When I came here, immigation was a non-subject. It's now 30 times what it was.
Still, it's a pyramid scheme.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Interesting stuff. Can't help thinking about the piglet, who seem to be furiously trying to grease himself, again, as part of also trying to get rid of some contaminants
Many will still vote for the piglet, the pandemic will be ignored as a blip, along with all associated events.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Johnson made me think of Donald Trump and his efforts to get re-elected.
There is no such thing as bad publicity or is there?
By the way, do you listen to Any Questions and Any Answers? Same with BBC QT, the subject last week was immigration, chiefly legal immigration. Nobody seems to know what to do about that.
When I came here, immigation was a non-subject. It's now 30 times what it was.
Still, it's a pyramid scheme.
Many will still vote for the piglet, the pandemic will be ignored as a blip, along with all associated events.

It's fascinating really. The republicans, the party of gaetz, mtg, Santos, trump. The tories, with their fake covid contracts, non existent ferries, affairs, loans, dodgy influence, truss haven't quite, publicly, stooped to glorifying being prosecuted for sexual assault. But it's getting a very, very, very low bar. And the alternative is starmer, it feels worse than a pyramid scheme, more Stockholm syndrome.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Starmer has a difficult job to do.
He needs to steer clear of clearly unworkable policies of Corbyn, Johnson and Truss.
There is very little left on the table.
Can he preserve what's left of the social safety net? If he can, then who is doing the work that the poorer Brits don't want to do?
Can he level up? I can't see how that's possible.
Can he borrow enough money to turn the economy around? If he can, then how much tax can he charge the better off among us?
Can he take us back to the EU, if not, then can he get us back inside the single market or the customs union?
Can he wean our universities off selling cheap degrees?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Starmer has a difficult job to do.
He needs to steer clear of clearly unworkable policies of Corbyn, Johnson and Truss.
Whoa !!

Leave Corbyn out, the Tories have already implemented half his policies, nationalising rail, paying people not to work, subsidising fuel, food handouts for the needy,

They only need to learn the words for "The Red Flag" now, Labour's anthem.

Advertisers