British Electric Bike Association Launched

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I think this organisation could do with producing info for "normal" bike shops explaining that e-bikes are not impossible to service, and also providing points of contact for obtaining spare parts. The LBS did charge slightly extra for labour but I accepted this due to the slight differences involved. I did feel that the repair could have been done in quicker than 3 days as I've usually had 1-2 day service on my unpowered pushbikes but as I said I think they were overloaded with e-bike repairs due to the intransigence of other businesses.

IMO there must be a very strong emphasis on timely and accessible customer service. These machines are premium priced and increasingly younger people will be using them as replacements for motor vehicles and will expect acceptable levels of service from their dealers - such as 6/7 day week opening hours, real humans picking up telephones and responding to emails within hours or a day at maximum, and when stuff is put in for repair providing the correct paperwork and giving accurate timescales..

Of course I'm not advocating one person constantly does 12 hour days 7 days a week; it would be unhealthy and they will burn out - but there needs to be adequate resources behind the sales.

I've noticed from personal experience and anecdotes on here the industry seems to have the resource to gain new business but slack off on after sales service, and often high profile manufacturers representatives (such as Norman of Wisper or Wai Won Ching) are clearing up things dealers should have sorted out much quicker, often because the customer has got so exasperated they have gone public with the full details of their problems.

I am having to do a lot of the work in sourcing spares myself. Now I have been in the electronics and IT industries for nearly 20 years and am an engineer at heart so I am able to do this, but this is going to put off non techies. And in areas without shops who will openly, willingly and quickly repair ebikes it limits their appeal to older couples or people with large cars to transport the machines back and forth to dealers (which defeats some of the object of having an ebike in the first place..)

It worries me that here are a lot of British companies with good products, who have a potential opportunity to make thousands of pounds worth of sales in a potential brief respite from the recession (just a few months before the doom and gloom gets worse), but without the customer service the opportunity will be missed and not come back.

At present as much as I enjoy riding mine, I wouldn't recommend a friend got an e-bike unless they were mechanically minded, especially here where there is a lack of dealers.

I'm in the curious position where I've got the money to buy a Wisper 905SE City but haven't found anyone who can both sell and support it, so I am loath to spend the money as yet as I could see any teething problems or even just getting servicing becoming a long drawn out nightmare... I'm almost regretting moving away from SE England/London despite the traffic!

Last edited:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Anyone from BEBA at the meeting in Friedrichshafen to discuss lobbying the EC for changes to LEV regulation?

Miles

I think this organisation could do with producing info for "normal" bike shops explaining that e-bikes are not impossible to service, and also providing points of contact for obtaining spare parts. The LBS did charge slightly extra for labour but I accepted this due to the slight differences involved. I did feel that the repair could have been done in quicker than 3 days as I've usually had 1-2 day service on my unpowered pushbikes but as I said I think they were overloaded with e-bike repairs due to the intransigence of other businesses.

IMO there must be a very strong emphasis on timely and accessible customer service. These machines are premium priced and increasingly younger people will be using them as replacements for motor vehicles and will expect acceptable levels of service from their dealers - such as 6/7 day week opening hours, real humans picking up telephones and responding to emails within hours or a day at maximum, and when stuff is put in for repair providing the correct paperwork and giving accurate timescales..

Of course I'm not advocating one person constantly does 12 hour days 7 days a week; it would be unhealthy and they will burn out - but there needs to be adequate resources behind the sales.

I've noticed from personal experience and anecdotes on here the industry seems to have the resource to gain new business but slack off on after sales service, and often high profile manufacturers representatives (such as Norman of Wisper or Wai Won Ching) are clearing up things dealers should have sorted out much quicker, often because the customer has got so exasperated they have gone public with the full details of their problems.

I am having to do a lot of the work in sourcing spares myself. Now I have been in the electronics and IT industries for nearly 20 years and am an engineer at heart so I am able to do this, but this is going to put off non techies. And in areas without shops who will openly, willingly and quickly repair ebikes it limits their appeal to older couples or people with large cars to transport the machines back and forth to dealers (which defeats some of the object of having an ebike in the first place..)

It worries me that here are a lot of British companies with good products, who have a potential opportunity to make thousands of pounds worth of sales in a potential brief respite from the recession (just a few months before the doom and gloom gets worse), but without the customer service the opportunity will be missed and not come back.

At present as much as I enjoy riding mine, I wouldn't recommend a friend got an e-bike unless they were mechanically minded, especially here where there is a lack of dealers.

I'm in the curious position where I've got the money to buy a Wisper 905SE City but haven't found anyone who can both sell and support it, so I am loath to spend the money as yet as I could see any teething problems or even just getting servicing becoming a long drawn out nightmare... I'm almost regretting moving away from SE England/London despite the traffic!
One thing that all e-bike shops can do is offer to help the LBS. I've had people contact me with issues with their e-bikes (not ones that I've sold them) and nine times out of ten they are things that any bike shop could resolve. I tell them to take it in to their local bike shop, explain the problem and ask the bike shop to give us a call if they want any of the more e-bike type parts explaining. This has always done the trick. The more that this happens, the more the LBS will get used to e-bikes. Everyone's a winner!

Although some LBS may be anti-ebike, I think most of them are just affraid of damaging an expensive bike. The more the LBS gets used to them, the better.

We're just in the process of putting our workshop in to a van - it makes sense as I think most e-bike shops service a larger area than a LBS.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com

Try giving Mail Order Cycles in Copdock a ring, they have been a Powabyke Dealer for 10 years and are certainly not afraid to work on electric bikes. I'm sure they would be more than happy to supply and look after your Wisper Bike should you chose to purchase one. Speak to Andy on 01473 730444 and see what he says.

Kind Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wisper Dealers

Hi Alex

We do have a bit of a hole in East Anglia, however ETS in Cambridge are very good at repairs and service, they have the City in stock and would be pleased to talk to you.

We are having a push on new dealers at the moment and I will drop you a line when we find anyone good, closer to you.

Re your posting, thanks for you comments re Norman in our service dept., as you say he is really there as a back up to dealers but will always help out a Wisper owner if they are having problems.

BEBA is launching at the Cycle show in London and we will start looking for Associate Members after the show. We will publish a list on the BEBA site of all competent ebike and pedelec service centers who join.

All the best David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Hi Alex
We do have a bit of a hole in East Anglia, however ETS in Cambridge are very good at repairs and service, they have the City in stock and would be pleased to talk to you.
I bought my Powacycle Salisbury from ETS and have been in touch with them on a few occasions recently. They are friendly and helpful but due to their opening hours only pick up the phone and answer emails for the last half of the week, which means if any problem (such as the non-delivery of a spare part) occurs two whole business days are lost whilst they are uncontactable (ultimately leading to another weeks delay) and when I do get through to them the chaps there sound stressed and overloaded as clearly two days worth of customer queries have backlogged!

It is of course their commercial decision to have these hours but it isn't at all convenient for a customer who lives 55 miles away and doesn't own a car, and wants the e-bike as a replacement for a petrol powered vehicle.

yep you can send bikes by courier- but whether they arrive in good nick at each end is debatable as I'm sure you know well, and at each point a days delay is introduced.

For the price of a Wisper I could probably get my CBT and a noisy stinky petrol scooter which many local dealers (or even my younger friends) could supply and is easily maintainable by most local dealers but in the interests of the environment and my own safety I would rather not do so. I'm not a eco warrior by any means but thought that as a single male I could do my bit by not putting one more petrol powered vehicle on the roads (plus I enjoy cycling more than any other way of getting around!)

some of my young friends and my work colleagues already see the Salisbury and say "thats a cool idea, where do you get them from?"

We are having a push on new dealers at the moment and I will drop you a line when we find anyone good, closer to you.
many thanks. If for instance the Copdock chap sold Wispers that would be near perfect - its only a few miles out of town, although an Ipswich dealer would be brilliant. Heck, if ETS opened up an Ipswich branch and maybe had Monday to Saturday hours I'd be more than happy to support them..

BEBA is launching at the Cycle show in London and we will start looking for Associate Members after the show. We will publish a list on the BEBA site of all competent ebike and pedelec service centers who join.
I would be happy to assist providing a "consumers view" for BEBA particularly with regard to businesses in my region...

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Copdock

Hi Alex thanks for your post, we would certainly be interested in hearing about the way dealers perform.

I the Copdock chap mail order cycles?

All the best

David

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Alex thanks for your post, we would certainly be interested in hearing about the way dealers perform.

I the Copdock chap mail order cycles?

All the best

David
Hi David, yes, it's Mail Order Cycles for internet purposes, and Copdock Cycles for local sales. I'm sure he would be very accomodating to supply a Wisper on your behalf to keep a customer happy. Just say I gave you his details.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
now I am really impressed, seeing two competitors help one another to promote ebikes.. it is the Wisper 905SE City 14AH I am interested in (the model with full mudguards and rack etc...)

for some reason as I'd seen "mail order" I hadn't realised it was a "proper" bike shop as well and I can easily ride to (or even walk to!) Copdock from where I live...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Frank

Yes Alex, you would be surprised at the lack of selfishness amongst the dealers and manufacturers!

It's a great and friendly business.

All the best David

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Yes Alex, you would be surprised at the lack of selfishness amongst the dealers and manufacturers!

What a refreshing statement ! :)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich

All the best David
Just spoke to Copdock Cycles / Mail Order cycles (as has David) but their bricks and mortar shop has closed :( - they only do mail order now :(

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
further investigation seems to hint the couple from Copdock cycles have now turned more of their attention to breeding cats! (I like cats though so fair play to them and the kitties..).

Feel free to use what I have posted for any newsletter / literature but I am also happy to provide it in short article form by email if you give me sufficient notice.

TBH a lot of it isn't specific to ebikes but is general customer service stuff which we seem to lack in Britain. Attention to detail and actual enthusiasm to serve the customer - for instance the young lads at the LBS constantly complained about how busy they were (surely a lot of business in a recession isn't a bad thing?), they were non-committal about the timescales and they were a bit put out when I asked why they didn't give me the usual numbered repair ticket.

I understand that they would recognise me and my distinctive bike (although round here SE Asian chaps riding e-bikes isn't that uncommon, it was one of my Fillipino colleagues who put the idea into my head in the first place :D) and I trust them as mechanics, but I always saw the numbered ticket thing as insurance against accidental confusions and proof of the bikes location should some unplanned incident happen like the shop being robbed or catching on fire!

To be fair they did get my bike ready for the weekend and did a good job (minus the spoke which they promised to try and source then forgot about) but I wonder if they would have still done so had I not chased progress a day afterwards?

I find with nearly all businesses they seem to do 80-90% of the job but leave out important little details. I had to coax an email response out of another e-bike manufacturer (having had nothing in a week) and escalate it to a member of senior management, it would have taken just a few minutes to give a reply I wanted addressing the issues I raised (which I did get in the end).

A sports reporter would probably say "when it comes to customer service, Britain gets right up to the finish line then loses on penalties"...

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Copdock

Yes we spoke to them too Alex, we really do not want to encourage mail order or Internet companies, however ebikes direct do a good job.

The electronics on our bikes are very easy to maintain, a lot easier than the mechanics on any bike including ours. So you could easily maintain yourself and take the bike to a standard bike shop for mechanical problems.

We are continuing to look for a good bike shop in Ipswich for you and hopefully we will slot that penalty into the back of the net! :)

All the best David

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
We are continuing to look for a good bike shop in Ipswich for you and hopefully we will slot that penalty into the back of the net! :)
many thanks. Though I still wouldn't say I was a "green hippy" I recently joined our transition towns movement and am trying to sing the praises of e-bikes - even for fit people they can be particularly useful for carting local produce (though I have to admit in my case much of this produce has "Adnams" written on its packaging :rolleyes:) - with my e-bike I think nothing of riding up to friends in Stowmarket or even Botesdale which is 26 miles away, when beforehand I would think "its a bit of a chore.."

There are at least five bike shops in Ipswich and an excellent roving / home based mechanic (the chap who did the spoke). But I am a bit cynical about claims that some of these stores "are worried about making a mistake on a high value bike" as the reason for not wanting to deal with ebikes as they certainly wouldn't turn me away if I was in lycra on a £3000 road bike with custom build wheels, camapgnolo groupset etc... :rolleyes: and many of these sorts of bikes are way more complex mechanically than a ebike..

David - I can send you a PM of the bike shops in Ipswich if you wish...