Broken Panda kit, can anybody advise?

Jonathan Riches

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 3, 2017
Isle of Wight
Hi,
I have an issue with a Panda ebike kit. It's around 11 months old, and was getting used 3 times a week in that time, roughly doing 300 miles a month.
After a good douse of rain the hub motor stopped running.
the kit has 2 brake sensors, an LCD display, a PAS sensor (King Meter) and throttle.
It's a 36V 250W setup.

I tried disconnecting the brake sensors and throttle, then just pedalling normally, and I get no power. I've also fiddled with the PAS sensor (how close to the adjacent part) and that makes no difference.
I also tried just having the throttle attached, with brakes and PAS disconnected, again no power.
(The throttle used to work, however you'd need to be pedalling first before it became active)

Do you think my controller is broken? It's a KT36ZWSR-F19N (max current 15A)
Or maybe there's a fault with the LCD? The display is all showing correctly.
Any tips on further fault finding?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Water ingress somewhere shorting the 5v line ? I've had it a couple of times but either had pas or the throttle still working.
Sometimes after drying out the issue resolves it self other wise can be mare to sort out.
Check any exposed connections for signs of pin greening/ copper oxidisation with moisture. Other wise it may be a fault with pas sensor,throttle operation or a brake sensor with moisture affecting the wiring.

Lcd could be another possibility though often they mist up.
Try a hair dryer on components, the lcd can be placed in a bag of rice and awarm place to try and draw out moisture other parts could be sprayed with a moisture dispellant like wd40.

Jonathan Riches

Nov 3, 2017
Isle of Wight
Thanks for the comments, I'll get drying..
The LCD is getting misty on the inside too, so the bag of rice would help there.
I will update in a few days if it worked or not.

D

Deleted member 4366

Do you have the moulded connectors at the controller or the block type?

If you have the block type, disconnect everything except the LCD and battery. Switch on the LCD.

1. Measure between the red and black wires on the motor hall connector. 5V shows that the controller is switched on and working.
2. Connect the motor hall connector and measure the voltage by stuffing your probes up the back of the connector between each colour (blue, yellow, green) and the black, while you rotate the wheel slowly backwards. You should see 5v switching on and off a few times during the rotation. That confirms that the motor halls are OK.
3. Connect the PAS in addition to everything previous. Measure between the red and the black to check the 5v again. If no 5v, check whether you still have it on the motor hall connector.
4. repeat test 3 for the throttle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Riches

Nov 3, 2017
Isle of Wight
They are all moulded connectors with arrows to ensure you line everything up, my guess they are 99% waterproof.
There are some basic bullet connectors to the battery but the rest are all moulded.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's not easy to test them. You have to open the controller and get your probes on the points where the wires are soldered to the PCB. Apart from that, the tests are the same as what i outlined above.

Advertisers