Brompton Cute Q70 question

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
So my Q70 arrived this week. The details provided by BMSBattery have been ever so slightly less than useful!

Does anyone have a colour coded wiring diagram? It's even possible the wiring is the same as others "Q" series motors I guess. Any thoughts anyone?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
So my Q70 arrived this week. The details provided by BMSBattery have been ever so slightly less than useful!

Does anyone have a colour coded wiring diagram? It's even possible the wiring is the same as others "Q" series motors I guess. Any thoughts anyone?
All motors are the same. Three phase wires, 5 hall wires and a speed sensor wire. The connectors will fit the controller directly. How do you need a wiring diagram?

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
All motors are the same. Three phase wires, 5 hall wires and a speed sensor wire. The connectors will fit the controller directly. How do you need a wiring diagram?
Hi, if I can unpack that a bit, what you're saying is that all motors from all manufacturers use the same wiring layout? Same number of hall sensors / wiring layouts and colour coding? If the connectors (when they arrive) are also standard then this may be a moot point but I'm genning up before the build. Could you point me to somewhere where the wiring is described ? I've not found anything .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Sorry Pete, I'm working back up the stack!

Here's a photo....

View attachment 33202
The wiring in your pic above is the only standard with manufacturer's.
Unsensored hubs only have the three thicker phase wires Blue,Green & Yellow.
Sensored hubs have the three thicker phases and Five or Six hall sensing wires, Black, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and some have a sixth white for a speed sensor.

I have Bafang, Yose , Aikema and Mxus hubs they all have the same motor wire colours in a moulded Julet connection and are totally universal in swapping over. Bafang mid drive is the same using a standard wire layout.

Over thinking and worrying isn't needed take it from us there is no real issue with marrying up hubs to controllers, except to make sure colour sequence matches if non julet connection is used.

Last edited:

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Just want ed to pick up on the point of wiring - it's incredibly unsual for even a ompany to stick to standards, very refreshing to know the ebike motors are sticking to a common standard. It has highlighted how little INkow about how themotoros actually work - can anyone recommend a site and can go to read and educate myself?

Paradad

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2019
Thought I'd also note that the wheel parts have all finally arrived and I have built the Q70 motor into a Sun CR18 rim as suggested by VFR. 120mm spokes fit perfectly using a cross 1 lacing pattern.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, I've heard it's very good :)
So more specifically - anyone recommend a site that gives an overview of current e-bike tech? Where is the standard for wiring for example??
There is no standard for wiring, except EN15194 mentions that cables shouldn't go round sharp corners, you should use grommets and things like that.

theabsurdman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 15, 2020
Very informative thread! New member here looking to convert an old (bought well-used in 2005) Brompton L3.

I'm settling on something like the Woosh kit with the Cute Q70 hub motor but I want to keep everything as light and simple as possible. Some questions I haven't seen definitive answers to yet:

- Ideally i'd like to do 20mph which doesn't seem feasible at 36V, would the Q70 motor be able to handle 48V without issues? And if so, what kind of controller would I need?

- What's that kind of setup going to be like on hills?

- Am I going to have problems installing the PAS sensor on my old Brompton? If so, shoud I just forget about PAS and install a twist throttle for simplicity?

- Once I have the hub wheel, battery, controller and LCD and cabling will everything just work?

- Any other 75mm dropout motors I should consider?

thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Q70 can run at 328 RPM at most.
Brompton tyres: ETRTO 35-349 circumference: 1.315m
maximum speed: 328 * 1.315 * 60 m/s = 25.9kph
I don't support derestriction. You'd void your warranty.

Reactions: theabsurdman

theabsurdman

Dec 15, 2020
The Q70 can run at 328 RPM at most.
Brompton tyres: ETRTO 35-349 circumference: 1.315m
maximum speed: 328 * 1.315 * 60 m/s = 25.9kph
I don't support derestriction. You'd void your warranty.
Thanks for getting back. I've just had a look at your website. What a mine of information!

What's the current wait time on your Brompton kit?

And do you sell bits separately? Like say, if I just wanted a motor wheel?

Can't see a throttle on the Brompton kit. Is that available as an option?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is no waiting for the Q70 kit.
All the other hub kits (XF07, XF08C, DWG22C etc) arrive Friday.

Kelliana

Jun 20, 2021
London

How did you get on with the Q70? What is it like on steep hills with your Brompton?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
How did you get on with the Q70? What is it like on steep hills with your Brompton?
It can climb very steep hills without pedalling because of the huge torque it gets from the small wheels. The downside is that you'll be down to 4mph or less and possibly overtaken by people walking. On the flat and slight hills, you get good assistance to about 12 mph, after which power ramps down rapidly. It does match the Brompton very well as long as you don't want to electrify for speed. If you want faster, you could run the motor at 48v, which would give good power to 16 mph, but you need a controller that can limit the current to a max of say 12 amps.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hi Kelly, you weigh next to nothing for the Q70. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: Kelliana