Brose motor problems

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
You know how much a Brose battery is when it needs replacing, or where to get one from?
I believe that Brose don't specify a Brose battery but allow the manufacturer to spec their own. Hence why they are more integrated. Maybe a good thing maybe not.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I believe that Brose don't specify a Brose battery but allow the manufacturer to spec their own. Hence why they are more integrated. Maybe a good thing maybe not.
Worth checking price of replacement batteries. Sooner or later you will need one as spare or replacement. When comparing Bosch and Shimano at one stage, Bosch was 2.5 price.

Because my wife's Shimano was rack mount, whatever eMTB I bought wouldn't have compatible battery. If her bike had been down tube battery I would've bought bike with same drive.

If plan is to buy his and her bikes it definitely worth going with same batteries. This maybe Active drive with 400wh for her and CX with 500wh for you.

Last edited:

earthmover

Pedelecer
Aug 11, 2016
Cheshire
Went out for a ride last night on a track I don't normally use, and it brought this thread to mind.
The track in question is a forest fire road, starts flat and then rises up. As I was on my own and keen to get to the downhill part of the forest to see how wet it was, I was in the middle assistance setting (now 35%) and cruising. The motor felt indecisive, as though it was cutting out, whilst not under any particular load, and the bike felt sluggish as though something was dragging. As soon as the track started to rise, and my pressure on the pedals increased, the feeling disappeared and the bike started to fly. I wonder if this is what the OP felt. I replicated the conditions later on in the ride just to check, and yes it felt exactly the same.
Mark

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Hi
I have been looking at the Levo, And was quite set in it .. liked the no display and how it looks much like a bike than a E-bike to the unknown

I then tested a bike with the bosh system and altho it was new riding a e-bike to me enjoyed been able to see how long was left and also changing the assistance easy. The levo I could add the display and gain this but then id be adding a 200-300 display that would be sticking out so then makes it like the others.

Quite interested in the new Pw-x system and Hibike integration of the display
sure it cant be removed but its not like I will be parking the bike up for anything more than a nip in and out of a shop at most and it would be secured

been I have now been on the yamaha system PW both was a fun time on the tracks

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I had a ride on both the Turbo Levo, and a Haibike with Yamaha PW at the weekend. Both were nice, but I think I preferd the Haibike overall.

I also prefer to have the display in front of me, but main issues with the Levo was having to reach down for the battery to change settings and check levels.

There were only short rides, so maybe I'd get used to that and it wouldn't be an issue long term.

The feel of the bike is such a personal thing I can understand why opinion varies. :)

Tom Rae

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2017
Edinburgh Scotland
I understand that the Brose software has been recently updated. The problems by the OP may be addressed by this unless they have pursued a different course by now? The characteristics of the Brose and Bosch bikes I have test ridden were markedly different and it is quite important both are set up correctly, in my experience, demo bikes can vary, on one I used I was actually told that the motor bearings were shot and that was why it was noisy! On another, the sensors were out of adjustment and essentially ineffective, the motor did not cut in at all! Fortunately they had another demonstrator which did work. The dealers I have met have been a mixed bunch in terms of knowledge and skills, ihmo it is worth trying as many as you can to build experience of the brands and dealers.

Reactions: Graham B

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I'm gradually building up my knowledge. Chatted to a lot of bike shops, some knowledgeable and some haven't got clue. Tried 5 bikes so far (2 Bosch, 2 Brose and 1 Yamaha), with mixed degrees of success. All of them were short tests however.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
I'm gradually building up my knowledge. Chatted to a lot of bike shops, some knowledgeable and some haven't got clue. Tried 5 bikes so far (2 Bosch, 2 Brose and 1 Yamaha), with mixed degrees of success. All of them were short tests however.
Try an Oxygen then you could tell us how you rate the difference between rear and crank

• Agree
Reactions: Tom Rae

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I had a ride on both the Turbo Levo, and a Haibike with Yamaha PW at the weekend. Both were nice, but I think I preferd the Haibike overall.

I also prefer to have the display in front of me, but main issues with the Levo was having to reach down for the battery to change settings and check levels.

There were only short rides, so maybe I'd get used to that and it wouldn't be an issue long term.

The feel of the bike is such a personal thing I can understand why opinion varies. :)
I would say lack of display is bonus, I find the Bosch and Shimano are bit of distraction. The optional remote assist switch for Brose would be good idea, I treat it as extra gear change.

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
I must confess to being a bit of a science nerd at heart, and quite like having the pointless data in front of me, such as distance left, what power level I'm in etc.

I can appreciate though if you are trying to concentrate on a tricky downhill and nice clutter free bar is a good thing.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Brose battery LEDs show charge level. Speed, distance etc can been done by cheap expendable bike computer. Don't need assist level indicator, that is what your leg muscles are for.

Shimano eMTB drive have recessed display so it is very well protected, along with gear change levels for assist switch.

Wipeout the controller displayin a crash and you will be riding a heavy manual assist bike home. This is one of pluses to Brose. Of course I bought a vunerable CX drive because it was a good deal and frame fitted me like a glove, no regrets yet but a major crash may change that.

• Agree
Reactions: Retyred1

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Damage in crashes is unavoidable really (apart from making sure you don't crash of course), but that won't influence my purchase decision. I expect I'll try and get a tough phone case if its a yamaha for example. I'm sure there must be one that fits.

You're right about just knowing when you find the right fit. I'm testing another tomorrow, so lets hope it suits me. It's a Haibike with 25% off in Jan sales, plus 10% worth of free accessories so sounds a good deal.

Richard-Ebike

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2017
sheffield
Sounds an intreating deal is it a 2017 version
Where is this so I can look might be worth checking price options I am looking at

I have been to the shop
talked about the problems and was all about set to order the hibike but he said take out the Levo and ride it on a trail and see what you think before making up your mind .. now need to find time to get out

The hibike 2017 with integrated display is quite safe on the bike

tho he has now thrown a giant E +1 in to the mix as an option

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Well it was a really good ride today. Loved the bike. It was a clearance of the 2016 model, hence the low price. £2600.

It's made my mind up on the fat tyres, but the only doubt now is the suspension. It felt like a bit too much bounce on the normal roads, and most of my riding will be off road country trails, woodland paths and fields I expect. Not too much rough stuff.

The age old question of do I need FS on a fat bike. My initial thoughts were no, but not so sure now. This full sus is actually cheaper than the 2017 HT, but I think I'm more concerned about the ongoing running costs.

Anyone think of any other downside apart from that?

Graham B

Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2016
Bath
Going to start a new conversation, as I seem to have hijacked this one and gone off topic.

Sorry

Related Articles

Advertisers