Btwin Elops 900E low frame Dutch bike - >600km and loving it - £999 but £62 tyre upgrade recommended

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks

Introduction

I bought this bike last October with an aim to nearly eliminate my car use except on proper trips, even in howling winds and rain. Knowing that just trying to use a normal bike would have me reaching for the car keys at least every one morning in three (particularly to get to rowing, which is about 6.5 miles away for a 7am start), and having tried a twist and go electric bike a long time ago, I thought I'd give the electric bikes a crack.

I needed a bike to handle my very short urban work commute, as well as my longer and more challenging route to rowing and back, through country lanes, several medium length inclines and with one pretty fierce hill, with battery capacity to spare. My specs also favoured a relaxed frame style - after a 90 minute rowing session, I wouldn't be in the mood to be in a hunched-over cycling position, and after doing some cycling around Holland on a 'sit up and see the world' frame my heart was set on a low frame format which would be comfortable to ride in normal work kit and foul weather layers alike.

My budget had to be quite limited - but I could see the health and cost saving benefits using the (company) car less would offer, so I set it at around a grand max. At first I actually eyed up the Pendleton Somerby from Halfords (a rear-hub motor job which was on sale at an extremely reasonable £660 at the time, when you factor in Halfords' 10% bike trade in deal) but just didn't have the oomph for fiercer hills.

I did my market research and found that Decathlon offer electric versions of their popular B'Twin Elops series of bikes, in a series of 3 models. The cheapest, the 500 priced at £650, is a 26nm torque, 24 volt, 8.8 Ah battery rear hub motor job pitched at urban commuters, with rim brakes and a guesstimated range of 45km. Not bad, but also not quite up to my needs for getting around the countryside's more savage ups and downs - and being a heavier than average guy, I wanted to be motored along by something with more firepower. The 900E low frame is the next one up (also available in high frame), and so I put in for the click and collect, and gave it a shot.

The bike - the good bits

The 900E has a 30nm, 36 volt rear hub engine with a 11.6 Ah battery that slots neatly under the built-in aluminium pannier. B'Twin guesstimate that this will do the average punter around 45-70km between charges, and I think this is about fair. I do just over 36-42 kilometres between charges, and I could probably do a little more if I didn't have more range anxiety and weren't in such a rush to get to morning rowing and hammered the power button with such enthusiasm!

The bike easilyhas me humming along at the statutory 15.5mph on the flat and gentle inclines on setting 2 ('normal'). Setting 1 ('eco') isn't so nippy but when the wind is still and the going easy, it is more than adequate for hauling me and my cargo along normal roads while slurping the battery less greedily. Setting 3 ('turbo!') is great fun and makes getting up inclines and moving off from stops child's play, and I also use this setting on busier bits of road which I'm not keen to hang around on for long.

I do still have to put in a fair bit of work on the most savage hill (average gradient 15%, but peaking at 30% on the hairpin!), which the rear hub motor was clearly not specced out for (the 970E, which has a more powerful crank motor, would do a better job) but mercifully I only have one to deal with on the way home from rowing. And when I've crested that you can believe I have a sit down for a few seconds and let the motor do its share of the work!

The motor isn't specced out for the steepest part of this hill (gradient shown on y axis, distance in miles on x) - thankfully I've only got one on my route back from rowing - some out of the saddle work required even with max assist!

The frame is very comfortable. The bike is supplied with ergo handlebar grips, which are comfy with and without gloves, and a good quality wide saddle. I have a very relaxing ride around, with an upright back, which also makes me feel safer (I ride wearing an orange road worker's hi vis vest, which lights me up like a christmas tree from headlights from in front and behind). I'm not a bike expert, I've heard a claim that the suspension (it has fork suspension) is a bit cheap and nasty, but it seems OK for my needs. The bike has integrated front and rear lights, which I think is standard across the B'Twin elops electric series.

It is a moderately heavy bike, but I have no problem getting it up a flight of stairs to safety while training (being a Londoner I have a high awareness of bike theft and vandalism and wouldn't leave something like this just hanging around where anyone can get at it!).

The brakes (mechanical disc) are adequate, even for my steepest country lane declines. I would definitely not be happy with rim brakes, as on the 500E, as the extra weight of the battery certainly makes the difference on the steepest hills. The model above has a hydro system, which is doubtless more responsive and effective, but mine are up to the job and fit my target price point.

Charging is pretty quick - after I get in from rowing in the evening I always store the battery indoors either to charge or for security. The thing charges easily in a few hours.

The weaknesses

This is a big one; the stock no-name tyres are not very good, especially for the out-of-town country lane rides I do. The 970E model comes with Schwalbe energizers by default - this one doesn't, and I found out the hard way that e bikes need tougher tyres within a few weeks of purchase, getting two flats in as many days. Being a right muggins who wasn't carrying a spare tube, levers or pump at the time, I had the not fun experience of pushing the bike 2 miles across country, having to heave the thing over kissing gates (not recommended!). I upgraded to Schwalbe 38x700 energizer tyres which have been brilliant and had no punctures since. This cost £62, and in my view is a 100% necessary upgrade, so tack the sixty quid onto the gross shopping bill when buying.

But buyer beware, on the front tyre, inflate it to 4 bar, not 6 (the recommended limit, and the pressure at which I'd kept the stock tyres)! The 'clincher' bit on the front wheel's rim is not up to the high pressures of the tyre, and it blew out overnight. I ran through two inner tubes before I figured out what had gone on, and now keep both wheels on 4 bar which is absolutely fine. I really recommend you upgrade to these tyres and don't get any bigger ones, or they don't fit inside the mudguards front and rear. See if Decathlon can fit them on for you with purchase (though you will need to buy them from another outlet as I don't think they're available to buy through Decathlon).

My bike came with a stiff chain, which caused a very annoying clanking sound after a few days of riding. I don't have many cycle tools so just took it back to the shop, who replaced it free of charge. Not the worst thing in the world but a bit of a faff.

More annoyingly, I have had the chain come off the (single) front ring a few times, even after giving the whole drivetrain a thorough degrease, clean and oil. For this reason I've removed the chain protector from the bike - it just gets in the way when putting the chain back on. I think a chain guide would prevent this but I CBA to buy and fit one, and I'm being more careful with doing my changes on the Shimano 7-speed derailleur with grip shifter. I can live with this and I've avoided getting oil on my suit trousers anyway, but it is a bit of a let down.

Lastly, the kick stand's allen key screws seem to get loose over time especially if you've stood the bike up with a heavyer pannier on the back. Not a big deal, but they do need a tighten every other week or so.

The bottom line

This is a fun and practical bike which fits my price point. I'm happily using it to get from A to B, for commuting and hobbies, and would recommend it if you have similar requirements for your own pedelec. I've had a cracking time going around, coming across badgers and muntjac deer on the road, and also arrive nice and warmed up in time for training! But take note of the caveats concerning the tyre upgrade, and be sure to give it a thorough test around the car park for funny noises once you've picked it up from the shop as they clearly do have a track record of parts gremlins.

• Informative
Reactions: kangooroo
D

Deleted member 4366

There's been many reports of Energizer and marathon Plus tyres blowing off rims, and I've had it myself too. I don't think it's anything to do with pressures, but instead, it's damage to the wire bead. The tyres mustn't be folded, but many sellers send them folded when you buy them mail order. The other reason is using excess tyre lever to get them on or off the rim. Best to not use levers and just put them on by hand.

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
There's been many reports of Energizer and marathon Plus tyres blowing off rims, and I've had it myself too. I don't think it's anything to do with pressures, but instead, it's damage to the wire bead. The tyres mustn't be folded, but many sellers send them folded when you buy them mail order. The other reason is using excess tyre lever to get them on or off the rim. Best to not use levers and just put them on by hand.
All I can say is I consulted the bloke in cycle republic and he recommended just trying it on 4 bar not 6 - ever since (this was early January) not had a single problem. The telling thing is that the back wheel was fine with 6 bar (because I think the clinching is more 'aggressive' owing to the wheel housing the motor), it was only the front which had the blow outs. In any case all working fine now without any hitches.

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
Was just doing a detailed clean and oil of the bike and found a USB charging spot cunningly tucked away behind the computer! Not exactly a life or death feature but I don't recall it being mentioned anywhere in the spec or marketing materials