Building my first ebike

OGraphicsHD

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2019
So I'm stuck! I was looking at creating a 1000w 48v electric bike but then I looked and the kits say they need a 48v battery no less than 15ah or 12ah? The bettery I was going to get had 10ah! I have now been looking at different kits and I have found a 36v 15ah battery and a 36v 750 rear wheel kit which is all compatible but I was sure what one is better and if my first choice was okay? I've done the calculations :
36x15=540
48x10= 480
So I'm guessing the 36v has better range?
I just need help with knowing what is better for range? I think the motors top speed 27mph. I can give links to the stuff I'm going to buy :)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The high power motors are mostly direct drive and very inefficient; as well as being illegal on the road without license, insurance etc, and illegal on bike paths and open access land. Motors that are nominally 250w (legal) can usually generate much more (often up to 750w) for short periods; eg hills. They are usually geared and generate their power much more efficiently and so give much better range. They are generally limited to give power up to 25kmph (15.5mph) (again for legal reasons).

You are right that multiplying volts * ah gives the capacity of a battery, and therefore an indication of range; so (other things being equal) your 36x15 would give better range.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The 48v 1000w kits are usually cheap because the electronics are basic with poor PAS options and lack of a good LCD/assist levels.
Generally geared hubs are better though you need controller/LCD option with 5 assist levels for better control and riding experience.
For 48v go for 12ah/576wh for a bit more range and top end voltage, though it's the cell in side that really counts and not many actually list the cell/s used. What is needed are 10a rated cells.
The 480wh should be good for 40 miles with a geared hub less with D/D motor.

Last edited:

OGraphicsHD

Just Joined
Aug 17, 2019
Okay thanks guys ‚ I'm not really looking for speed as I'd buy a motorcycle! So if I buy the 36v 15ah battery and a 36v 250w motor would i get more range compared to the 750w motor? Ive got max £350 to spend so I know it's not alot but I just want a bike to assist me ! Ill take my bike out for roughly 4hours sometimes so my legs feel it

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You should definitely do better with a 250w motor. It will be quite difficult with motor, battery, controller and everything for £350. https://www.yosepower.com might be a good place to look. A lot of their kits are 350w which are not technically legal but would do the job. Woosh give very good service and decent value, but I think their cheapest complete kit is over £450.