Can’t find S-pedelec insurance anywhere, please help

YS72

Just Joined
May 30, 2020
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I’m wanting to buy a speed pedelec and follow the process to make it road legal in the UK (DVLA registration, number plate, etc.). The problem I’ve been having is that I can’t find insurance anywhere. I’ve tried the insurers that people apparently used successfully in the past (BikeSure and Quoterack’s broker service), but both look to have discontinued insuring S-pedelecs - BikeSure told me they don’t offer this anymore. I also spoke to BIBA (British Insurers Brokers’ Assocation). They were able to find me ‘content insurance’ to cover theft of the bike, but not actual motor insurance on it. They advised me to call DVLA to see if content insurance would be sufficient (which it very probably won’t be).

This is really frustrating as it means s-pedelecs can’t be legally ridden in the UK if no insurers cover them, despite the fact that they are legal from a legislative perspective (providing that you can get it insured and registered etc.). Does anyone know somewhere I could get insurance, or should I just give up? I’m also concerned that even if I do find insurance, that insurer could discontinue offering cover when it comes time to renew in the future. I would have thought that the government would want to incentivise more people to ditch the car and get into e-biking. I fall exactly into that category - a car driver who is attracted to going e-bike, particularly because s-pedelecs would make this more viable for me.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
been riding my bike for 5 years with a dongle fitted so would be classed as a race pedelec but even if you did find some where to insure it the cost would be so high it just wont be worth it.

just dont kill anyone on it and you will be fine ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. I’m wanting to buy a speed pedelec and follow the process to make it road legal in the UK (DVLA registration, number plate, etc.). The problem I’ve been having is that I can’t find insurance anywhere. I’ve tried the insurers that people apparently used successfully in the past (BikeSure and Quoterack’s broker service), but both look to have discontinued insuring S-pedelecs - BikeSure told me they don’t offer this anymore. I also spoke to BIBA (British Insurers Brokers’ Assocation). They were able to find me ‘content insurance’ to cover theft of the bike, but not actual motor insurance on it. They advised me to call DVLA to see if content insurance would be sufficient (which it very probably won’t be).

This is really frustrating as it means s-pedelecs can’t be legally ridden in the UK if no insurers cover them, despite the fact that they are legal from a legislative perspective (providing that you can get it insured and registered etc.). Does anyone know somewhere I could get insurance, or should I just give up? I’m also concerned that even if I do find insurance, that insurer could discontinue offering cover when it comes time to renew in the future. I would have thought that the government would want to incentivise more people to ditch the car and get into e-biking. I fall exactly into that category - a car driver who is attracted to going e-bike, particularly because s-pedelecs would make this more viable for me.
Contents insurance definitely won't be acceptable it has to be third party insurance against all on road risks.

Try a Lloyds broker who can recommend an insurer familar with motor insurance who could quote. Explain to the broker that your requirement is for a non listed moped class perfectly acceptable to the DfT and commonplace in Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands and Denmark.

This Link is to a LLoyds broker who also deals with individual persons needs.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I believe you have to look under Electric Motorbike insurance rather than e-Bike or Pedelec, it seems insurers just haven't caught up yet on modern technology & electric drive systems for bikes. I remember reading somewhere it's expensive though.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
My local e-bike/motorbike insurer says:

"To be classed as an electrically assisted cycle(pedelec) and therefore be acceptable on this scheme the bike must adhere to the following criteria: Maximum rated motor power 250W, Maximum speed with power assistance 25kph (15.5mph in the UK). If your vehicle exceeds these then it will be classed as a moped/scooter and will need to be insured as such which you can do using this link or calling us on 01379 646 529."

From this page:

They were once recommended by one of the trade e-bike suppliers on this forum, although I can't now remember who that was.

YS72

Just Joined
May 30, 2020
Thanks for your responses everyone. I phoned Lexham Insurance and they said they don’t do it, despite what it says on their website unfortunately - apparently the difficulty is that the bike doesn’t look like a moped, so they can’t insure it as such - I’m not sure why the appearance of the bike as a pedal bike would be a problem. Though they are going to refer it to one of their underwriters to see if there is anything they can do and get back to me on Monday.

I’ll give the Lloyds broker / BGP a call when they are open on Monday. Also, I forgot to mention in my original post that I tried phoning around a handful of moped and motorcycle insurers before, but with no luck. If anyone else has any other suggestions that would be great. Many thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not sure how much the bike costs but when i last looked for my bike with everything inc it came to £45 a month!

so sod that lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That's coz it's you driving it sw :cool:
no the bikes rrp was £5500 but as i use a dongle would just be pointless and im not dead yet ;)

YS72

Just Joined
May 30, 2020
not sure how much the bike costs but when i last looked for my bike with everything inc it came to £45 a month!

so sod that lol.
This is the bike: https://www.r-m.de/en-en/models/cruiser/cruiser-vario-hs/#F00274_030121

It’s worth around £3.6k. Honestly, after searching for insurance for around 2 weeks and not getting anywhere I’m contemplating going the dongle route as you suggested. It’s probably the subject for another thread, but does anyone know how easy this would be to do on a Bosch performance line speed (gen2). I’m a completely lay person when it comes to electricals and bikes!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I’m contemplating going the dongle route as you suggested.
The dongle route doesn't remove the need for insurance etc. It's discreetness might give you a smaller chance of getting caught; but the chance of being caught is pretty small in any case.

tomblandford

Just Joined
Oct 16, 2021
I have an R&M Charger, just imported from EU and newly registered with DVLA. Got a quote from Bikesure but 3P only. £210.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

camarint

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 27, 2021
I had the same problem, unfortunately, affordable and good insurance companies are hard to find. When I had an accident with my bike and it was totally broken, they replaced it and also covered the costs of my medical expenses. This is the first time I think I don't regret that I have an insurance.

lewihoob

Just Joined
Jul 21, 2021
Totally agree, it is really hard to find a good insurance company. I found out about this one https://simplebikeinsurance.com/ when I was talking with my friends and they told me that it has the best bicycle insurance policies and also has full coverage e-bike insurance which I haven't noticed in many companies. When my bike was vandalized, they covered all the expenses and took care of everything. I think every company should take care of their customers in this way.

manmikey

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2017
Norfolk
I insured my registered R&M Crusier HS with MCE in March 2020, when it came for renewal a year later they said they no longer offered that insurance so I went to Bikesure and got Third party with them, that is up for renewal in about 8 weeks so fingers crossed.

Normal ebike and cycle Insurance will not cover a speed pedelec nor will household insurance as it is consided to be a vehicle not a bicycle.

Reactions: MrMaskingTape

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They advised me to call DVLA to see if content insurance would be sufficient (which it very probably won’t be).
Definitely not sufficient, the compulsory element of motor insurance has to be third party cover.

The only thing I can suggest is to try through a Lloyds insurance broker to see if they will help with insurance or suggest where to get it:

Lloyds inquiry page

You'll also see on that page a link to and phone number for BIBA who may be able to help you find a UK insurer.

Rickybails

Just Joined
May 27, 2022
I was about to purchase a speed pedelec so checked the insurance situation. I tried a number of insurance companies but they all refused. I asked a number of bike shops who sell them if they know of customers successfully finding insurance. Only one shop had had any success. They told me the only company insuring speed pedelecs is Bikesure. I had already tried and failed with Bikesure so called them back. They told me the mileage and usage was the issue. I wanted a speed pedelec for commuting and estimated 10k miles per year. So I asked what mileage they would insure - they said more like 3k but not commuting.

So if you want a speed pedelec for low mileage recreational riding and not commuting, you might be in luck.

It's ridiculous that these bike are capable of replacing car journeys, which we urgently need to do to save the planet, but insurance companies are blocking it. I'd wager that the police stop turning a blind eye to derestricted e-bikes before the insurance companies start insuring s-pedelecs properly.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My brother has been using a Bosch speed ped for about 10years now for a 20 mile each way commute, he doesn't ride it dialy but usually 1- 3 times a week.

As you have found out, to make them properly legal isn't catered for by UK insurer's but in the EU it is common place.

Advertisers