Can I make bike UK legal

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
I bought a bike unfortunately. Stupidly it's not UK CE. Due to having twist go throttle it climbs to 15.4 mph
I have completely removed the throttle.
Meaning it would be CE certifiable and EAPC freindly/legal
Getting it CE certified will probably cost money and no idea how to go about it.
So if I now ride would I be safe from getting fine and points on license do you think ???

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
plod is not interested my bike goes 30mph and never had a problem even had plod in my house and told them i have a dongle to remove the speed limit and dont care.

Reactions: Audio2

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I bought a bike unfortunately. Stupidly it's not UK CE. Due to having twist go throttle it climbs to 15.4 mph
I have completely removed the throttle.
Meaning it would be CE certifiable and EAPC freindly/legal
Getting it CE certified will probably cost money and no idea how to go about it.
So if I now ride would I be safe from getting fine and points on license do you think ???
Is it 250 watt rated Robert, it doesn't sound like it with climbing at 15 mph? Also was it second hand, made before 2016?

To be road legal its motor needs to be no more than 250 watt rated.

Power should cut off at or before 15.5 mph.

If those are both ok, you don't need to get it certified as legal, just use and enjoy.

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
plod is not interested my bike goes 30mph and never had a problem even had plod in my house and told them i have a dongle to remove the speed limit and dont care.
Not chancing it. If I was I buy a motorcycle least be worth the fine and points

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
Is it 250 watt rated Robert, it doesn't sound like it with climbing at 15 mph? Also was it second hand, made before 2016?

To be road legal its motor needs to be no more than 250 watt rated.

Power should cut off at or before 15.5 mph.

If those are both ok, you don't need to get it certified as legal, just use and enjoy.
It's 2020. My other bikes 2015 so Grampa rights. Motor is 240w on new bike and cuts out at 15.4mph.
As I understand it 2016 twist and go become illigal and classed as moped mode meaning needs to be registered and classed as motorized vehicle.

I know 1st Jan somthings altered due to exiting EU but don't think was much. But I have no idea

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

since i joined this forum not 1 person has been fined pulled over or anything else the law is not being enforced and it never has been and why now 10 year old are flying down the road on hire scooters playing Pokemon go that there parents are hiring for them.

:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I understand it 2016 twist and go become illigal and classed as moped mode meaning needs to be registered and classed as motorized vehicle.
They don't have to be registered Robert, but do technically need single vehicle approval. However, this was only ever done on one pedelec to my knowledge at the only inspection site that would do it, at Southampton. Before and since then many ride around with a twist throttle and nobody looks or cares, least of all the police. So long as your assist speed is limited to 15.5 mph and the motor is 250 watt rated or less they won't bother you.

Getting legal permission to have a fully acting "Twist and Go" throttle on a pedelec:

The Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test now includes a sub-category for "Twist and go" electric bikes, which require type approval as Single Vehicle Approval (SVA), but which can otherwise be used like other normal pedelecs. Fewer modifications will now be needed for these machines to pass the test and gain type approval. The MSVA test costs £55 per individual vehicle.

Each individual bike must pass the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) test. This provides UK-specific type approval (i.e. it is not valid in other EU countries) and the DfT regard these as legal bureaucracy free pedelecs.

The new class for Twist & Go EAPCs is called "250W LPM", a sub-category of the standard "Low Powered Moped", which is the L1e-A category which T&G EAPCs fell into before. The new edition of the test manual reduces the requirements somewhat for this new sub-category. For example, a kickstand is still required, but it does not have to auto-retract. Moped-like mirrors are now not required, etc., etc. Basically almost any legal pedelec meets the requirements, but check the PDF manual linked to below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/821685/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual.pdf

Reactions: robert1976

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
They don't have to be registered Robert, but do technically need single vehicle approval. However, this was only ever done on one pedelec to my knowledge at the only inspection site that would do it, at Southampton. Before and since then many ride around with a twist throttle and nobody looks or cares, least of all the police. So long as your assist speed is limited to 15.5 mph and the motor is 250 watt rated or less they won't bother you.

Getting legal permission to have a fully acting "Twist and Go" throttle on a pedelec:

The Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test now includes a sub-category for "Twist and go" electric bikes, which require type approval as Single Vehicle Approval (SVA), but which can otherwise be used like other normal pedelecs. Fewer modifications will now be needed for these machines to pass the test and gain type approval. The MSVA test costs £55 per individual vehicle.

Each individual bike must pass the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) test. This provides UK-specific type approval (i.e. it is not valid in other EU countries) and the DfT regard these as legal bureaucracy free pedelecs.

The new class for Twist & Go EAPCs is called "250W LPM", a sub-category of the standard "Low Powered Moped", which is the L1e-A category which T&G EAPCs fell into before. The new edition of the test manual reduces the requirements somewhat for this new sub-category. For example, a kickstand is still required, but it does not have to auto-retract. Moped-like mirrors are now not required, etc., etc. Basically almost any legal pedelec meets the requirements, but check the PDF manual linked to below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/821685/motorcycle-single-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual.pdf
Wow ta I'll have to look that up. Ta

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015

since i joined this forum not 1 person has been fined pulled over or anything else the law is not being enforced and it never has been and why now 10 year old are flying down the road on hire scooters playing Pokemon go that there parents are hiring for them.

:p
E scooters getting seized big time round my way. You obviously wasn't in here when I was issues with ticket for no insurance and riding without license or helmet . Back in 2015. In 18 months I got stopped 7 times. In the email was sent round police advising my bike and I were legal lol :)

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015

Cheers from your info I found this

robert1976

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
So for a test I can get it certified. £55. Then it's all legal. Will look to that as new controller to make it eapc will probably cost that.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
E scooters getting seized big time round my way. You obviously wasn't in here when I was issues with ticket for no insurance and riding without license or helmet . Back in 2015. In 18 months I got stopped 7 times. In the email was sent round police advising my bike and I were legal lol :)
well you are not fast enough pmsl plod wont race me round here nor anyone else vrooom! :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cheers from your info I found this
There's also this link to a thread in which I've explained the whole of the law relating to electric assist bicycles:

Worth a read so you see the whole picture.

Advertisers