can they handle it?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I only flicked through the clip that SW has just shown above, but I didn't see anything in that, that would put me off riding my bike down it.

bar me on my bike ;)

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
thanks eddie
yes it does make sense what you say.
perhaps i should explain better what i mean by jumps.
i don,t mean some of the airbourne stuff that would potentially damage an ordinary xc or all mountain bike .
jumps where the rider is potentialy jumping over the height and length of a car is not what i mean either
what i am talking about is the normal stuff on a standard red trail that is not beyond the abilities of a reasonably competent mountain biker .
jumps like the smaller ones in the video from electrickery
not the big ones with the big wooden ramps and take offs.
thanks

Last edited:

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
perhaps ktm or other manufacturers on here would like to comment as to their bikes abilities as per my previous post?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just dont get one with a 11 speed xd hub and should be fine then ;)

if i brake mine again ill still send it back just a pita waiting for it.

another thing is the rear mech keeps slipping on my bike so it hits the frame in last gear.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

We've been asked to comment, so will do gladly.

Firstly, the problems that Soundwave has had with his Haibike aren't because its a Haibike, or because its an eBike, its because he's using wheels that even in the non ebike world have a shocking reputation.

No-one in normal mountain biking uses those wheels for lots and lots of good reasons. Most people who ride eBikes however don't use their bike nearly as aggressively as even an average mountain biker which appears to be why most eBike customers seem to be ok with those wheels.

Regarding if an ebike would be capable for the type of trails you're talking about... the answer is look at the brand your buying. If they make normal bikes that could take the abuse then the eBike will be able to. If the eBike is cheaper than a normal bike that you wouldn't expect to be up to it... then it won't last.

Bosch, Shimano, Yamaha and Panasonic drives are all designed for proper offroad use, they are used by people all over Europe who ride in proper mountains and use the bikes instead of the ski lifts. They can cope.

I have raced semi professional downhill on the world cup circuit and when I ride our eBikes... i generally ride them like I've stolen them because I've not paid for them so I can give them a real thrashing around the Peak District here. They can take it.

The extra weight is an issue but you learn to cope with it. Its nowhere near as difficult as getting used to riding a motorbike. I've done a bit of Enduro MX and at speed I was at ease on the bike because it just felt like a DH bike with an engine. However at slow speed my balance was all over the place because I wasn't used to the weight. As with everything you get used to it.

The extra weight is tiny in the scheme of things.

If you buy a bike with quality components from brands that are trusted and respecting in normal MTB, they won't have a problem on an eBike.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
crank bros did offer to replace the hole back wheel if i could not remove the xd hub tho.

just cant afford a mavic wheel set atm and mine just not worth selling now as there classed as shite

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Something else to think about if are going to start comparing bikes. Take a look at the price differences of consumable spares. This topic came up just a few weeks ago, and depending on how you intend to ride, and in what conditions, the frequency of service intervals can soon come around, so it is well worth finding out a few of the costs

Taking the rear suspension as an example.

Haibike. https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/Haibike-xDuro-OEM-Swingarm-Kit

KTM. http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/parts-accessories/bearing-kits/ktm-bark-lycan-bearing-kit

A £40.00 price difference straight away, and the KTM kit includes a new bolt kit. Something that FS Haibikes are very prone to loosing.

Next up the rear mech hanger. Something that could in the event of a spill, become damaged or broken.

Haibike. https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/eBike-Spare-Parts/Haibike-xDuro-sDuro-Mech-Hanger

KTM. http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/ktm-derailleur-hanger---bark-myroon-lycan-lycan-lt-scarp-p-2018454

A £9.00 difference.

I'm sure that SW will happily expand upon this list, including the price of the dreaded rear suspension linkage bolts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
xo1 11speed cassette £190

xx1 chain £30

haibike front sprocket £80

xo1 rear mech £150 mines a bit bent lol

wheels £350 each

tyres £40-50 each

winora will not sell haibike parts to the public.

sus service is £111 from mojo each.

if i had to pay a shop to service it will soon cost bucks

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
very good advise guys thanks
ah the dreaded rear mech hanger.
lots of money for such a small piece of metal:(

Advertisers