Can we build 750 watt road legal bicycles?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here you have to go to the Drire control station to have the Carte Grise modified as you are changing energy. As long as you are under 4 kW nominative it is still a moped in the eyes of the law.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
One does wonder how some of the top gear specials were legal. I am sure they have done at least one conversation to electric.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
One does wonder how some of the top gear specials were legal. I am sure they have done at least one conversation to electric.
Since I've seen them break the laws on road usage and vehicle types a number of times, I doubt they cared. Channel 5's Gadget Show is just as bad in this respect.

Mutt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 13, 2016
Looking on the bright side, I'm really pleased with my electric bike and wouldn't be without it. If you have a motorbike capable of 150 mph you can still only do 70 on public roads for obvious reasons. Although we wouldn't career into pedestrian and other cyclist at 30 mph, some might. I need to resign myself that the speed limitations make sense. But I can't help being a speed freak though, I've even customised my rotorvator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: D8ve

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Looking on the bright side, I'm really pleased with my electric bike and wouldn't be without it. If you have a motorbike capable of 150 mph you can still only do 70 on public roads for obvious reasons. Although we wouldn't career into pedestrian and other cyclist at 30 mph, some might. I need to resign myself that the speed limitations make sense. But I can't help being a speed freak though, I've even customised my rotorvator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Photos of the custom rotovator please

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
No, you still have to go through SVA as Flud says.

Its not only a technical matter, there is a re-registration and VED difference that has to be accounted for. For example, as a petrol vehicle VED was payable, but as an electric, it isn't.
Just been done over on endless sphere.MT 50 road legal conversion.Fill in section 7 of the v5 and letter explaining what you have done.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just been done over on endless sphere.MT 50 road legal conversion.Fill in section 7 of the v5 and letter explaining what you have done.

Sent from my D101 using Tapatalk
Seems like they are ignoring their own rules if they don't follow that up. It will be interesting to see if they still demand VED at the annual renewal date. As an electric none should be payable.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Seems like they are ignoring their own rules if they don't follow that up. It will be interesting to see if they still demand VED at the annual renewal date. As an electric none should be payable.
They are following there rules.The v5 was sent back to him with a change of tax classification to electric.As I said before going up a tax bracket needs no prof ,you pay more tax.If you down rate you have to provide Prof.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are following there rules.The v5 was sent back to him with a change of tax classification to electric.As I said before going up a tax bracket needs no prof ,you pay more tax.If you down rate you have to provide Prof.
That's good, I'm glad that's the case. It wasn't the tax matter that I was concerned with, it was the technical aspect. It always used to be that a major change was subject to Vehicle Inspectorate inspection and approval, since the original type approved specification was no longer in place. Strictly speaking, even replacement parts are/were supposed to be only to the approved specification. This is making a nonsense of the requirement for new vehicle designs to be type approved if they can immediately be so drastically changed.

No wonder they have been closing so many of their vehicle inspection centres, they aren't going to need them if these rules are no longer to be enforced.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
That's good, I'm glad that's the case. It wasn't the tax matter that I was concerned with, it was the technical aspect. It always used to be that a major change was subject to Vehicle Inspectorate inspection and approval, since the original type approved specification was no longer in place. Strictly speaking, even replacement parts are/were supposed to be only to the approved specification. This is making a nonsense of the requirement for new vehicle designs to be type approved if they can immediately be so drastically changed.

No wonder they have been closing so many of their vehicle inspection centres, they aren't going to need them if these rules are no longer to be enforced.
An engine swop has never needed a inspection.The SVA is for radically modified and unregistered vehicles.Strictly speaking a tow bar is a modification to the chassis.[emoji6]I my self can't understand it.V8 reliant OK.20 mph ebike the spawn of the devil.

Reactions: flecc

Advertisers