Can you identify this connector?

k1s1

Just Joined
Dec 29, 2023
Someone ripped off the cable connecting my wife's Swytch controller to the display and I've been trying - unsuccessfully - to get the correct cable connector to make a repair. Every time I order what I think looks to be the correct shape from eBay, it turns out the plug is too large. The smaller one in the picture is the one I'm trying to obtain. The larger one is what comes up when I search for "5 pin mini Connector 5mm Ebike Display". Normally, the results come up with the words Bafang or Juliet in the listing (I assume they're manufacturers)

Attachments

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Sure, but I want to repair it so it can be plugged and unplugged

100% don't you just love non answers to questions you ask :cool::cool::cool::cool:

I remember asking someone once "What time is it" the reply was "Thursday"

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
100% don't you just love non answers to questions you ask :cool::cool::cool::cool:

At least it wasn't fish!

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The M6 connectors on a Swytch controller are smaller than the normal Julet type connectors. The smaller connectors have an outside diameter of circa 7.6mm whereas a standard Jutlet type is circa 8.6mm.

See the link below for some details, check the sizes given against your connectors;

Last edited:
Reactions: k1s1

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: k1s1

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Sure, but I want to repair it so it can be plugged and unplugged
You never need to unplug such a connector. Even if you did, its very quick to cut the wires and re-solder. Overall, it's quicker, cheaper, more reliable and less work than getting connectors and soldering them to the wires.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hilarious
It's not meant to be. I've been working on ebikes for around 14 years, and I was an ebike mechanic in a shop for 2 1/2 years. It's what I'd always do because it's the most logical solution.

You don't have to take advice based on my substantial experience, but if you don't, good luck. I'm sure you'll be back with a few more questions. Hopefully Neal will sort you out.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one finds /gets the correct female connector, one still has to solder and shrink 5 small wires as they all will come with tails. Or if one gets a connector with extra long tails one could desolder the old ones from the PCB and solder the new ones on so no extra joints.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020

Nowt wrong with his answer, that's what he wants to do, his choice. @k1s1 So the solution is to get a male and female connector already wired and solder them into the loom so you can unplug it. If you are really good at fine soldering, then wire new m/f connectors direct. I had to shorten/lengthen several wires on the electric tandem but keep them detachable, use small heatshrink on the individual wires and encapsulate the lot with a bigger dia heat shrink.
On the other hand, if you never need to disconnect the gubbins, then just rewire and heat shrink.

rig the jig

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
HI at the moment I am converting a Swytch bike to a non swytch bike, I have ordered the controller , display, PAS, and throttle, they will be with me in about 4 weeks, then I will have a spare swytch handlebar sectionj with all the connections intact on it. If you are interested I can arrange to send you the handle bar section.
Rig the jig.