Car Jump starter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I bought one of the traditional SLA types about 20 years ago and it still performs perfectly. I also use it to power a moth trap for several hours in the local nature reserve.

The secret of its long life is that I give it a top up charge every two months, they should never be left more than 3 months without a charge.

I've no experience of that modern type so have no idea of it's life.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
The power cap type is very good
But a cheapo one is definitely not the way to go
Good ones start at a £100 plus where as the older type can be had a lot cheaper and still be good enough

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Might not work for you, but our second car tends to suffer from a flat battery after almost no time, and we use one of the Lidl trickle chargers. Leave it on much of the time except when the car is actually in use. Works a treat.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm shocked that in the 21st century you still need one of those! About 18 months ago SWMO's car was having issues starting during the winter - solution a new battery, the other one was knackered...

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm shocked that in the 21st century you still need one of those! About 18 months ago SWMO's car was having issues starting during the winter - solution a new battery, the other one was knackered...
If that was a response to me, yes, would have got a new battery except the car is already agreed for a trade-in. Just waiting for news!

(About the only thing to go at all wrong with the car has been batteries. First one went from OK to pancake overnight. Second and third did the same. Now fourth is repeating the pattern but trickle charging is keeping it usable. Thankfully, the people who supplied battery 2 gave an excellent warranty, so 3 and 4 were no-charge replacements.)

In the meantime, we try to add mileage to that instead of our primary car. And we need to be able to get it from here to dealer!

Muddy

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
I’ve got a classic beetle and went out to find her dead as a dodo recently, turned out I left the indicator on when I fitted the crook lock and there wasn’t even enough power to light ignition lights
Tried leaving a trickle charge on her but nothing after a full day so bought a booster off amazon even tho I held out little hope. Amazed to say after it arrived next day it I charged it up and put it on battery only for her to start no bother. Brilliant little gadget
If anyone interested I can find the details and share but that battery had no right to survive that. She’s now starting off the key easy
If you want to meet her, she’s daisy love bug in Facebook, my daughter made and runs a page for her. I think she’s gorgeous and can’t wait until she gets back from the garage having a few other things seen to. Top down fun is almost as good fun as cycling with a motor :)

Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I haven't used the jump starter on one of my cars for years, its main function is rescuing neighbours in winter when their parked-outside cars get stroppy in the cold.

I'll never need it now with the Leaf's 40 kWh battery, mains charger connection and a motor that doesn't need a starter!

our second car tends to suffer from a flat battery after almost no time,
Many modern cars flatten batteries very quickly due to all the software they have now. I had an early Qashqai which could fail to start after only three weeks standing, due to the drain of it's internal space sensing security system. Very clever but greedy for current.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I haven't used the jump starter on one of my cars for years, its main function is rescuing neighbours in winter when their parked-outside cars get stroppy in the cold.

I'll never need it now with the Leaf's 40 kWh battery, mains charger connection and a motor that doesn't need a starter!

Many modern cars flatten batteries very quickly due to all the software they have now. I had an early Qashqai which could fail to start after only three weeks standing, due to the drain of it's internal space sensing security system. Very clever but greedy for current.
I've a Qashqai with a reasonably new battery but i sat parked with the air con on for 10min and that is what killedthe battery as obviously i had the ignition on as well.

Now with our bike batteries they dont like to be unused for a few months at a time so how do the charging packs cope with not being discharged for long periods?

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now with our bike batteries they dont like to be unused for a few months at a time so how do the charging packs cope with not being discharged for long periods?
I'm guessing, but probably the very different chemistry to enable the extremely high discharge rate when starting a car is also tolerant of remaining unused in a charged state.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
The standard big packs just need as flecc said earlier in the thread maintenance charges
The new small packs don’t have large batteries what they use is a form of capacitor so can be left for ages without any love
I was very sceptical of the little jump packs to start with but they do work
Just don’t skimp on quality

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers