Carrera Crosscity E slow?

thenuns

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 30, 2021
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been covered before, I did do a quick forum search..
Right even though I've had my Crosscity for a couple of years, I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to eBikes. I cycle for pleasure really so generally use my Boardman, only infrequently using my Crosscity.
However, now I'm using it much more as I attempt to commute to work.
So....
No matter what setting I choose (high, med, low) the bike only assists up to speeds of about 6-7 mph.
The only difference from the settings is the uptake in speed. But the assistance of the motor stops at 6-7 mph irrespective of what setting I've chosen.
I just assumed that that was the max speed and didn't really pay any notice as the bike was used so infrequently.
Now I see other eBikes zooming past me and after looking at the bikes manual it states assistance at high should be up to 15.5 mph.
The battery seems fine. It charges in a couple of hours and lasts well. The battery contacts are clean and shinny.
Can anyone offer any advice, or is the bikes performance as it should be? I don't personally know anyone with an ebike to make any kind of comparisons.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been covered before, I did do a quick forum search..
Right even though I've had my Crosscity for a couple of years, I'm a bit of newbie when it comes to eBikes. I cycle for pleasure really so generally use my Boardman, only infrequently using my Crosscity.
However, now I'm using it much more as I attempt to commute to work.
So....
No matter what setting I choose (high, med, low) the bike only assists up to speeds of about 6-7 mph.
The only difference from the settings is the uptake in speed. But the assistance of the motor stops at 6-7 mph irrespective of what setting I've chosen.
I just assumed that that was the max speed and didn't really pay any notice as the bike was used so infrequently.
Now I see other eBikes zooming past me and after looking at the bikes manual it states assistance at high should be up to 15.5 mph.
The battery seems fine. It charges in a couple of hours and lasts well. The battery contacts are clean and shinny.
Can anyone offer any advice, or is the bikes performance as it should be? I don't personally know anyone with an ebike to make any kind of comparisons.
Is the wheel size programmed, far larger than the actual wheel size?
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It uses a speed controller 3 spd so the display might be faulty ,a long shot. Each level is speed programmed to a max speed so approx.7, 11 & 15.5 mph. One can look at the BB cadence sensor assuming that is what is used unless it is an optical type. Check the BB sensor/disc/set up for cleanliness and fitting is secure, if a magnet disc make sure the gap to the sensor is 1mm. Spoke magnet & speed sensor if fitted make sure all is secure and gap is not much more then 5mm.