Carrera Crossfire E with broken anti rotation washer

Johnboy4809

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2020
Hey all, I've had my crossfire E for a little over two years but only really used it the first year due to lockdown. Anyway its now a month out of warranty and on a short bike ride to the supermarket, the anti rotation washer that fits inside the freewheel has broken in two so there is nothing stopping the motor spinning the axle. Ive contacted Halfords who say its a whole new motor wheel at a greater cost than just buying a standard bike. Ive contact SR Suntour who say the part is available but cant get it to me as im not a dealer. Has anyone else with this bike had this issue and found a solution.

I was thinking of just fitting a standard rear wheel and getting a bafang drive but the dropouts seem a lot wider than the standard 135mm

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You can buy AR washers as a kit with nuts and flat washers for 12 X 10 axles , cost is £5 - £10 a set or buy singles.
Measure the axle to check size.no need to buy a new motor or motor wheel.
For singles buy a few as they are cheap.
Yours will be M12 (12 x 10) or M14 (14 x 10).

12 x 10 axle kit.
Ebike motor screw with thick gasket for AKM motor Ebike motor screw with thick gasket [motor screw with thick gasket] - $5.00 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce (topbikekit.com)

Singles cheapest option.
2pcs Electric Bike Washer M12 M14 Steel Anti rotation Washer Hub Motor For Electric Bicycles Pecas Para Bike Ebike Accessories|Electric Bicycle Accessories| - AliExpress

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last item I received recently from Ali I had to pay £1.99 as RM stated postage wasn't enough. The items cost was £1.28 with couple quid postage, I think RM and the likes are just holding us to ransom now as it's money for old rope.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Can you show a photo of it?

What's on the other side? If that's turning too something might need fixing there.

Nake IL

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 25, 2021
Hi all, My anti rotation washer has snapped in half after i have managed to get a water infested and seized motor working again and cleared all the errors. I'm at the end of my wits as i now have a smooth functioning motor but no way of putting it to use as after my first test run, that washer snapped in half. I have contacted Halfords and they said to contact Carrera directly as they cant provide me with that specific part. I suspect that is a dead end as well. I'm looking to get a CNC copy made out of steel. If i manage to make one i will let you all know. In the mean time, has anyone else managed to have a fix for this? Torque arms dont really work as that side of the axel is round.

Thanks in advance!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi all, My anti rotation washer has snapped in half after i have managed to get a water infested and seized motor working again and cleared all the errors. I'm at the end of my wits as i now have a smooth functioning motor but no way of putting it to use as after my first test run, that washer snapped in half. I have contacted Halfords and they said to contact Carrera directly as they cant provide me with that specific part. I suspect that is a dead end as well. I'm looking to get a CNC copy made out of steel. If i manage to make one i will let you all know. In the mean time, has anyone else managed to have a fix for this? Torque arms dont really work as that side of the axel is round.

Thanks in advance!
Post a pic of the broken AR washer.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It might be worth asking Suntour if they can help. Show them the photo of the broken part:

SR SUNTOUR EUROPE GmbH (European headquarter)
Sales, Customer Support and Technical Services
Riedstrasse 31
83627 Warngau
Germany
Tel: +49 (0)8021 50793-0
Fax: +49 (0)8021 50793-29
Email: service@srsuntour-cycling.com

Nake IL

Apr 25, 2021
It might be worth asking Suntour if they can help. Show them the photo of the broken part:

SR SUNTOUR EUROPE GmbH (European headquarter)
Sales, Customer Support and Technical Services
Riedstrasse 31
83627 Warngau
Germany
Tel: +49 (0)8021 50793-0
Fax: +49 (0)8021 50793-29
Email: service@srsuntour-cycling.com

Thanks for the info. I will email them now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Another bespoke oem only designed part, making these parts unavailable and solely dealing with the useless organisation that is Halfrauds makes these bikes a waste of money with a short life should a part fail.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, that's 4 instances of that thing breaking in the last year. i guess we have to add it to the list of known faults with those bikes. For most people, this problem is going to be unfixable.

There are flats on the other side of the axle, so you might be able to fit a torque arm there and bodge this side as a temparary measure.

Nake IL

Apr 25, 2021
Yes, that's 4 instances of that thing breaking in the last year. i guess we have to add it to the list of known faults with those bikes. For most people, this problem is going to be unfixable.

There are flats on the other side of the axle, so you might be able to fit a torque arm there and bodge this side as a temparary measure.
The one on the other side is fine but it doesn't hold the whole thing by itself. Let's hope suntour answers my email as Carrera failed to do so. Worst case scenario, i might create something out of metal myself.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Certainly is another issue with the Suntour brand , as you say Dave another to add to the list.

Nake IL

Apr 25, 2021
This is the reply I got from Suntour:

Dear Michael,

the locking washer has the part code: DEBMS00001 Motor stopper. I think every Halfords shop could order it at our UK distributor.

Distributor is

MOORE LARGE & CO. LTD
Derby DE24 9GL
Sinfin lane
Sinfin lane industrial estate
www.moorelarge.co.uk

I have just returned from Halfords and they cant find it by that code so I called the supplier directly and they gave me the code that Halfords have on their system

Code is : WSUWS01 and it costs £30 to order.

I have put my order in. Will update once it arrives.

Last edited:

GTurner

Just Joined
Aug 24, 2020
Hi! I have the exact same issue however both sides are broken. Where did you order the new one from? Have you received it? I have been looking everywhere for one

Nake IL

Apr 25, 2021
Hi! I have the exact same issue however both sides are broken. Where did you order the new one from? Have you received it? I have been looking everywhere for one

Hi, Both sides come in the pack so you should be covered.

Just go to your local Halfords and ask them to order you the part with the code WSUWS01

I had to do their job because initially the answer from them is that they don't hold stock. When I asked them to look to see if they can't order it they said they can't find it on their system. I had to get in contact with Suntour in china, ask for the part ID, then ask if thei can give me the uk supplier contact. I have called the uk supplier and they were very understanding and they provided me with the Halfords part ID so the guys in Halfords can find it on their system. It was a joke of a customer experience with my local Halfords, hope yours is better!

The part arrived in 3 days and both nuts are in the package.

This took about 2 weeks of emails and calls and in the end, it still didn't fix my problem but the bike is now long time sold for parts.

Hope you can fix your bike!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those AR washers are another case where the Brand has over thought and designed things for the worse, making these pair of £1 items cost 30x what they need to.
And the fact they are snapping in halve shows up a weakness.
Again the user is tied in to expensive parts replacement where any other generic hub can use generic AR's freely available.

Advertisers