Carrera Vengeance Battery Query

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
I have been doing great with my Carrera Vengeance ebike for a while now and have recently been looking at adding a ebike conversion for the front wheel, so essentially both Front and Rear tyres will be motorised.

My query is that I don't want to add a second battery to the bike and was wondering if i changed the battery to a 48v battery do you think its possible to use the one battery to feed both motors? Either feed power at the same time or introduce a switch to choose to feed power to the rear motor or the front. I realise it might involve some cable splitting and soldering etc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Another controller or a dual controller will be needed although 48v will increase torque and speed what you will need is ultimately more watt hours so more ah overall.

If noticed by plod you may get tugged.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Yes, you can do that, but not with any 48v battery. You need one that can deliver the current that both controllers take, which is going to be a minimum of 30 amps, depending on which controller you get for the front motor.

I recommend not to go over 15 amps on the front motor because the torque from the rear one unloads it so it's own torque makes it slip and spin on hills and when accelerating, which wears out the tyre exceptionally fast.

You only need one pedal sensor for the two controllers, assuming that you have the mk1 Vengeance with the conventional pedal sensor, not the later one with a torque sensor. All you need to do is split the signal wire and send it to the signal wire on the second controller. You don't need a 5v and ground on the second controller because you have a common ground from the one battery. If you have two batteries, you have to join the battery grounds to make them common across both controllers. Use the same procedure to use one throttle for both motors.

I found it best to use the PAS for normal efficient riding with just the rear motor and the throttle for both motors when you need a lot of power.

After a lot of tests and experiments with double and triple motors, I came to the conclusion that one good motor is better than two except in snow, on wet grass and muddy trails.

I don't know why you're thinking of two motors, but unless you're very heavy and have steep hills or have some sort of impediment, your existing motor at 48v and with a 20 amp controller will probably give you all the power you need, which would be about 1.75 time what you presently have.

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth

rajeshtailor

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2020
Thanks for the excellent advice and I have concluded that I’ll just add a throttle however after looking at the thread on adding a throttle it doesn’t seem too complicated just need to know where to source the cables I’ll ask on the other thread.