Carrera Vulcan V Spec Mountain Bike any good?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Took a look at the Carrera Vulcan V Spec Mountain Bike in Halfords as a possible donor bike for my project.
It ticks all the right boxes for what i'm after and appears to be robust.
Only thing i would replace is the razor blade saddle :eek: ooooh
Still undecided on front or rear hub motor but got plenty of time to make the choice.
Does anyone have any experience with this particular bike onroad and off.
Would it stand up to a bit of rough track riding?
It gets plenty of positive reviews on Halford's website.
Any info would be much appreciated :)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
why a mountain bike...any particular reason
For my usage, a mountain bike gives me the best of both worlds.
If i fancy a nice lazy, relaxed ride around the local roads, then it'll cope;
but sometimes i want to rough it a bit cross country, along the dirt tracks.
I'm worried that on a commuter style bike, the shopping basket will fall off on the latter :rolleyes:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
There is a lot to be said for a conversion. I`ve just been out on my 20 year old Evans MTB conversion ( here and a few changes since this shot was taken Alien electric bike conversion Photo Gallery by david chilvers at pbase.com )

This is the bike I tend to keep in my VW van for rides in other parts of our county mainly because it`s just so light and easy to lift in and out. It has last years alien conversion kit on and can easily be pushed along at 18-20mph on the flat because it`s just so light. To be honest having suspension on the other bikes is nice when I feel a bit fragile but in all honesty you just can`t beat a good MTB that you can ride by the seat of your pants. I`ve only just started to ride it again now that the surgeon has told be to go away, live my life and he wants to see me puff a bit on the bike and thats where the Evans comes in because its light I can ride it on past the motors help for short spells( 25mph today) and hopefully get this old ticker back to somewhere like before.

As I said, E bikes are great and come with all the bells and whistles that make for a comfortable journey but now and again I just like to get back in touch with cycling as it was once for me.

Enjoy

C

Cyclezee

What is that in the water bottle Old Timer, if it is what it looks like, seek medical assistance immeadiately:eek:

J:) hn

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
What is that in the water bottle Old Timer, if it is what it looks like, seek medical assistance immeadiately:eek:

J:) hn
I think I must have been eating a lot of beetroot that day:D