Casing for hub motor

Andrew Wingrove

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2017
York
www.simplicityin.training
A4D40546-ADBD-4074-BAD3-04603526137D.jpeg Yes, before you all tell me, I should have place a support under the cover while trying to put the bearings back into place. I now have a cracked case cover, that in turn means a motor I can’t use.

Does anyone have a dead motor with the same casing that they would let me have as a replacement?

Attachments

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
View attachment 27562 Yes, before you all tell me, I should have place a support under the cover while trying to put the bearings back into place. I now have a cracked case cover, that in turn means a motor I can’t use.

Does anyone have a dead motor with the same casing that they would let me have as a replacement?
You might want to post full details of the motor for all to see, like its name and size and voltage.....
You also might want to run that through the washing up machine to clean it intimately, dry it well with a hair dryer, then fill the crack FULL with a quality epoxy glue, then immediately with a block of wood on each side, place it in a bench vice, and squeeze it back together again
Leave for 24 hours at least, in a warm room if possible, as cold might slow down setting. GENTLE warming with the hair dryer may be needed. Used the squeezed out glue to tell you.
Then carefully remove from vice and glue remove excess glue with a wood chisel or file, or both.
That may be enough, but if you roughen up the outside of the crack, and add finely woven glass fiber or carbon fiber, used the epoxy glue to put a "bandage" over the crack to further strengthen it.
The good and expensive epoxy glues will hold that motor casing together I am pretty sure, and well worth the effort!!
I assume it is metal as you did not say!.
If plastic, it may not hold, but try with a special epoxy for plastic....

regards

Andy

PS an expensive lesson...... :-(