BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Hi
Lots of free hubs are made of alloy
hope and dt Swiss straight away as I have both
Also a lot of cassettes have alloy carriers especially the more expensive ones
If everything is steel there's no issues but there's many bikes with one or the other in aluminium
OK, I didn’t know for sure, just thought that aluminium alloy would be a bit weak for the splines on the free hub.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

ColinJTod

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2020
Todmorden
OK, I didn’t know for sure, just thought that aluminium alloy would be a bit weak for the splines on the free hub.
It can be...

I was on a ride with a bunch of people once when we dropped down a steep lane to a bridge over a stream and were faced by a steep climb back up the other side. The rider next to me suddenly shouted 'WTF!' and ground to a halt with his cranks whizzing round at about 120 rpm.

I expected the problem to be with the pawls in his freehub not engaging properly, but the problem turned out to be in one gear only - all the other gears worked just fine. We continued the ride with him avoiding the dodgy gear.

When he got home he took his cassette off and discovered that the problem was this...

(That particular cog had ripped its way through the splines!)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i still managed to kill a xd driver tho the bearings was turned in to gray mush fkn thing took a hr to get off the axle :rolleyes:

Related Articles

Advertisers