CERRERA THROTTLE CONVERSION

chadallan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 14, 2020
Hi guys, Ive followed the wiring diagram and fitted the throttle as instructed by CdRsKuLL but as soon as I plug in the audino it causes my display to give a 00 error code which is loss of communication, any ideas its driving me nuts. the diagram shows 3 cables although on the bike theres 4?. any help out there is much appreciated!

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
That's three cables to the throttle?
If so one will be to provide the battery voltage for display. There should be red (+5v) black (GND) a third maybe yellow or green or white wire to take the throttle Hall signal to pin A0 of the Arduino and a fourth (could also be yellow, green or yellow) to take the battery voltage for display on the throttle, if your throttle has this facility
fwiw, I had no errors or issues with the Arduino and CdRsKuLL sketch, BUT it didn't work at all on my bike.
Stay in touch I'd like to bottom this and we can possibly do it together. My Arduino experience is limited and I confess the CdRsKuLL code is well beyond me. Is there any Arduino expertise among the Pedelecs community?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
if you have a throttle, you need brake sensors in case the throttle jams open.
You need to sort that out. If you come up with a realistic wiring, I can write the code for you.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Welcome to the site

Diagrams and pictures are always a great help to help with your issues

chadallan

Jan 14, 2020
That's three cables to the throttle?
If so one will be to provide the battery voltage for display. There should be red (+5v) black (GND) a third maybe yellow or green or white wire to take the throttle Hall signal to pin A0 of the Arduino and a fourth (could also be yellow, green or yellow) to take the battery voltage for display on the throttle, if your throttle has this facility
fwiw, I had no errors or issues with the Arduino and CdRsKuLL sketch, BUT it didn't work at all on my bike.
Stay in touch I'd like to bottom this and we can possibly do it together. My Arduino experience is limited and I confess the CdRsKuLL code is well beyond me. Is there any Arduino expertise among the Pedelecs community?

chadallan

Jan 14, 2020
Hi it would be great to work together, I have wired it as the diagram but the handlebar controller gives a loss of communication as soon as the auduino is plugged into the mount.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I should point out my bike is not a Carrera (=Cerrera?).
The bike I would like to add a throttle to is a NCM Moscow, however I also have a conversion I did to an old push-bike with a Voilamart kit. Although this has a conventional throttle input I've been using it as a testbed for adding throttle functionality via pulsing mimicking the PAS signal. As indicated, I've not been able to achieve this using the cdrskull approach.
I've also had no joy using a simpler approach published as: https://www.mathieupassenaud.fr/electricBike/
I've done quite a bit of playing different tunes on this proposal.. it's much simpler code which I understand!
Before I try to teach granny to suck eggs, how experienced are you with Arduino code, as I generally find it "unstable" ...if you upgrade the Arduino version, functioning code sometimes ceases to function and it's sometimes picky about the peripheral detail. fwiw I'm using v 1.8.12 with a Chinese nano Arduino.
Does the code compile ok for you and does it upload without an error?
Would you like to give the Pedelecs reference to the cdrskull discussion to keep Fat Rat happy?
...discussion to be continued

chadallan

Jan 14, 2020
The bike I would like to add a throttle to is a NCM Moscow, however I also have a conversion I did to an old push-bike with a Voilamart kit. Although this has a conventional throttle input I've been using it as a testbed for adding throttle functionality via pulsing mimicking the PAS signal. As indicated, I've not been able to achieve this using the cdrskull approach.
I've also had no joy using a simpler approach published as: https://www.mathieupassenaud.fr/electricBike/
I've done quite a bit of playing different tunes on this proposal.. it's much simpler code which I understand!
Before I try to teach granny to suck eggs, how experienced are you with Arduino code, as I generally find it "unstable" ...if you upgrade the Arduino version, functioning code sometimes ceases to function and it's sometimes picky about the peripheral detail. fwiw I'm using v 1.8.12 with a Chinese nano Arduino.
Would you like to give the Pedelecs reference to the cdrskull discussion to keep Fat Rat happy?
Hi when it comes to programming and arduino's etc I don't have a clue its by shear chance I managed to upload the program to the Arduino and it started blinking, to which I celebrated with a bottle, so I am totally reliant on someone making the program for me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have no real interest in CDRsKULL's project, other than I did help him a little bit at the beginning. I am sorry to build up your hope.

chadallan

Jan 14, 2020
I have no real interest in CDRsKULL's project, other than I did help him a little bit at the beginning. I am sorry to build up your hope.
I am really not interested in a project myself, I bought the bike and the plan was to get me up the hills where I live. Flying down hill then sprinting up the other side it was clear that the motor had stopped assisting me up the other side which caused me to pull the three muscles in my leg (im 62 by the way). cdrskull's solution seemed like the answer but I am still no further forward. all I need is the bike to get me uphill with the smallest effort. cheers and thanx for your help

Last edited:

chadallan

Jan 14, 2020
if you have a throttle, you need brake sensors in case the throttle jams open.
You need to sort that out. If you come up with a realistic wiring, I can write the code for you.
Hi its took me a while to get back sorry but thanks for your reply, attached is the wiring ive followed and as you have said I need the break sensors, can you recommend a pair of sensors that would fit my cerrera and will then if you woudnt mind write the code that will work for me, kind regards, richard

Attachments

chadallan

Jan 14, 2020
Hi its took me a while to get back sorry but thanks for your reply, attached is the wiring ive followed and as you have said I need the break sensors, can you recommend a pair of sensors that would fit my cerrera and will then if you woudnt mind write the code that will work for me, kind regards, richard

Attachments