Chain keeps coming off ,question ?

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
My chain keeps coming of when im in the smallest gear of my cassette.The chainline isnt great .Can i move the smallest gog half way up my cassette ? which will improve the chain line.Im using a lekkie on the front .

Cheers

Scruffydroid

Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2020
Is this a conversion, or shop bought? Usually the former requires a complete reindex and stop limit adjustment. If it is shop bought, then take it back for a service. If you want to try yourself, then see below YouTube.

Usually with a crank motor, the chaingear wears relatively quickly and needs replacement of the chain, and cassette. With a rear hub motor, the chaingear lasts a long time.

Check that your rear derailleur is correctly indexed / adjusted. If it is slipping off into the gap between the smallest rear cog and the chainstays, you need the limit stops adjusted - If it isn't changing one gear at a time per single click of the shifter, it also needs reindexing.

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
Is this a conversion, or shop bought? Usually the former requires a complete reindex and stop limit adjustment. If it is shop bought, then take it back for a service. If you want to try yourself, then see below YouTube.

Usually with a crank motor, the chaingear wears relatively quickly and needs replacement of the chain, and cassette. With a rear hub motor, the chaingear lasts a long time.

Check that your rear derailleur is correctly indexed / adjusted. If it is slipping off into the gap between the smallest rear cog and the chainstays, you need the limit stops adjusted - If it isn't changing one gear at a time per single click of the shifter, it also needs reindexing.

Everything is fairly new ,half of me is thinking about going single speed .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would look at the derailleur stops first and see if a adjustment can help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That means nothing if the stops adjustment aren't correct. I bought a new bike form Evans 9 years ago and the first thing I had to do was adjust the derailleur stops adjustment simply because they weren't set up correctly, also a derailleur could also be out of align or the hanger bent.

Related Articles

Advertisers