Chair Lift batteries

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
I am in the process of buying a chair lift and was visited today by a potential supplier. I was informed the chair lift is powered by batteries at all times but that these are trickle charged whilst the chair lift is at rest in the stored position. I was then amazed to learn that lead acid batteries are still used.

It seems that the technological advances we have benefitted from have not reach this market, unless there are strong economic/commercial reasons for sticking with these heavy batteries.

Cheap
Last forever
Weight not an issue
Tried and trusted technology

Or just not aware of the developments?

The chair lift wired and fitted will cost around £2,500.

Conal

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think it reflects that despite all the supposed battery progress over the last 100 plus years, still the only really reliable one is the original, lead-acid, a 19th century technology in the 21st century.

As I've often remarked in the forum, cars are the largest users of high discharge batteries and for them only lead-acid suffices for long term reliability.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I work as a finance and technology manager for a group of nursing homes for the elderly and all hoists/chair lifts still use SLA batteries, as do wheelchairs, mobility vehicles and the like. They are tried, tested and reliable technology and weight isn't as much of an issue nor is speed.

That said, I have been told by a variety of sources, including the old folk themselves, that there is a group of OAPs actually desrestricting and racing mobility scooters in the Felixstowe area :D

glenn

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2009
check the price

I can tell you that i know someone who sells the stair lifts and most of the time they start at 2500 and if you hold out or check around you can get one that was suposedly used in the display room but really a new one and a new battery with full warranty for 1500 or less

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
Price

Glen

Thanks for the tip. I will keep an eye out and also pressure the supplier when I decide.

Conal

Advertisers