Changing Wheels on Hub drive bike

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
A mate of mine has the Furo Aventa e-bike and is considering changing the wheels as the existing rims are more road bike style with a deep rim and very narrow tyres fitted. This causes some problems as he is on the sturdy side and keeps getting punctures.

I guess it’s just a case of finding a suitable wheels and paying the LBS to lace the Hub motor into the rear wheel. The possible issues are that the forks are quite narrow front and rear.

Is this something that can be done without too much pain and anguish ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most LBS won't touch lacing a hub motor in to a rim.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A mate of mine has the Furo Aventa e-bike and is considering changing the wheels as the existing rims are more road bike style with a deep rim and very narrow tyres fitted. This causes some problems as he is on the sturdy side and keeps getting punctures.

I guess it’s just a case of finding a suitable wheels and paying the LBS to lace the Hub motor into the rear wheel. The possible issues are that the forks are quite narrow front and rear.

In the long term, I am sure that a new wheel, complete with motor, would be the best and probably the cheapest option.....
Also put puncture proof tubes and tyres at least on the rear (assuming thats where the punctures happen!!)
Or simply cut just the tread off an old tyre, and place it between the tyre inside tread wall and the tube. That worked wonders for me on my previous e-bike - no more punctures.
He should also keep the air pressure up to the max allowed for the tyre, too heavy and too little pressure will cause punctures, especially where repairs are already.
regards
Andy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Learn to lace and true your own wheels via the many tutorials available, use your bike as the truing stand with cable tie with the end cut to adjust the rim edge to.

I find it to be a nice chilling out/calming exercise along with another great skill to learn.

Use a free online spoke calc to input all the rim/hub details and it will tell you the spoke length to order.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
Reactions: Barnsleyrob

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I like these utube tutorials (think it's India and Aussie), a very good starting point and easy to follow . Simply pause and resume to follow when lacing.
How to Lace a Wheel - Three cross pattern - YouTube India.
Without the bullshit. How to build a 36 spoke wheel. - YouTube Aussie.
Very helpful thanks.

He‘s tried Slime inner tubes and also foam protectors on previous bikes with varying degrees of success (none and very good) but the new tyres just aren’t wide enough to take an insert.

I’m guessing an e-bike with a heavy rider will need a decent spec wheel. Are there any you’d recommend that won’t break the bank ? He’ll likely end up going for 27.5” or 26” if they won’t fit the forks with a 2-2.5 “ tyre.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020

i have never had a puncture all i do is pump 60mm in the wheel every 3 months.
Looks pretty brutal. Unfortunately, he’s not set up for tubeless and the tyres are like liquorice sticks on the edge of flying saucers. This review has better pics of the wheels than the Furo website.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

any wheel can be converted to tubeless just most dont like the cost but id never go back to using tubes.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Learn to lace and true your own wheels via the many tutorials available, use your bike as the truing stand with cable tie with the end cut to adjust the rim edge to.

I find it to be a nice chilling out/calming exercise along with another great skill to learn.

Use a free online spoke calc to input all the rim/hub details and it will tell you the spoke length to order.
I'm with you on the 'chilling out' side of wheel building and have over the years done a handful for myself and family.

What got me into it was a PDF book by Roger Musson (currently £9 but lifetime upgrades) - with the paper prints in front of me I found it easier to understand the principles better, but each to their own.

With the aid of this book none of my built wheels have failed and some of them have been on 1,000 mile tours with no problems - that is down to the good instruction from Roger than any particular skill I might have.

The book also includes plans/drawings on making your own truing tools out of wood and to this day my home made kit is still good after maybe 5 years or so.

Anyway, here's a link to Roger's website whick inclides an online spoke calculator - https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
What got me into it was a PDF book by Roger Musson (currently £9 but lifetime upgrades) - with the paper prints in front of me I found it easier to understand the principles better, but each to their own.

With the aid of this book none of my built wheels have failed and some of them have been on 1,000 mile tours with no problems - that is down to the good instruction from Roger than any particular skill I might have.

The book also includes plans/drawings on making your own truing tools out of wood and to this day my home made kit is still good after maybe 5 years or so.
Same as me , this book got me into it more and my wheels have never give any problems since following this book.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I'm with you on the 'chilling out' side of wheel building and have over the years done a handful for myself and family.

Anyway, here's a link to Roger's website whick inclides an online spoke calculator - https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
Very useful stuff. I’ll pass it on to him.

Can you recommend wheels and places to source them as well please ?

Reactions: Bikes4two

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013

How about your mate asks somebody like ryanbuildswheels.co.uk or thespokedwheel.co.uk to see if he sent them the motor only, would they build it up in a new rim. Posting the motor only would cost about £10'ish

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Very useful stuff. I’ll pass it on to him.

Can you recommend wheels and places to source them as well please ?
  • I have always got my wheel rims from Spa Cycles who list the ERD (Effective Rim Diameter) of their rims and you need this dimension when calculating spoke length.
  • You need to shop around for spokes - Rose Bikes in Germany where my preferred source but post Brexit I don't think they sell to the UK anymore.
  • Hubs - ebay for new or nearly new

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use ryan's spokes (sapim strongs 14g) he is also ryan builds wheels, for rims I use bankrupt bike parts on ebay and use the holland made ryde z2000 in nice pale blue.

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I don't use nipple washers, if one uses rims made of cheese they might be useful.
If a nipple pulls through then either tension or spoke length is wrong or a better rim is needed.

Last edited: