Help! Checking Charger Output

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
You tell them what you’re going to tell them, then you tell them, then you tell them what you’ve told them. Simples.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Never heard of him. Might Google later.

Anyway, prodded a bit of solder wire into the socket, connected to the washer and mains, and LED went green before the power was switched on - clearly no diodes other than the light emitting indicator - so I took that to be progress as it meant a connection to the battery. Switched mains on and LED remained green for a few minutes before turning red. Again, took that as progress as I reckon battery is around 50% and would therefore accept a charge. Went out for a ride with my mates and, 3 hours later, the LED was still red. Took that as a fail.

Now given up and settled in with a cider.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I ended up emailing Sealey and they came back and said it was most likely to be symptomatic of the battery failing so, as they’re under £20 and the existing battery is at least 5 years old (possibly up to 10), I bought another.

Having left the old one on charge for 24 hours i measured the voltage while I swapped the batteries over. Old one - 12.8 volts after resting so fully charged. New one - 12.6 volts so around 80% charged. Plugged it in LED red and never flipping changed.

Anyone know where I can buy, or even have a spare, charging tip ? Pretty standard size of around 1/4” and the same as my MiRider charger. I’m going to solder a couple of wires to it and use my multimeter to measure the charge based on resting voltage which is good enough for the purpose.

Thanks.