Checking Multimeter Calibration at Home

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
That's pretty good for a cheap DVM. Even my best cheap DVMs are 0.1 V out on the 200 V range.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
18V and after a 10 minute warmup, steady 10V:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's pretty good for a cheap DVM. Even my best cheap DVMs are 0.1 V out on the 200 V range.
Your best cheap DVMs on the 200V range: Do they round 0.05V up to 0.1V?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
But how do you know that it's high if the DVM isn't calibrated? The charger may be fine and your meter could be out.
That's reassuring to know your meter is reasonably accurate.
Thanks @WheezyRider for starting this thread, @StuartsProjects for bringing the TL431 voltage reference board to my attention, and everyone else for their contributions - I now know this is a reasonably accurate voltage reading of my 36V battery charger's output. YVMV (Your Voltage May Vary):

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
me too, I appreciate the usefullness of this thread, and for the links to various voltage reference boards that you can buy.
However, if your charger works until now, there is no need to worry that you need to buy additional test equipment, DVMs and reference boards. BMS and charger are designed with a degree of tolerance. Your BMS will always do the balancing job at the end of a full charge, even if the drift is as much as 0.5V

Reactions: guerney

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
me too, I appreciate the usefullness of this thread, and for the links to various voltage reference boards that you can buy.
However, if your charger works until now, there is no need to worry that you need to buy additional test equipment, DVMs and reference boards. BMS and charger are designed with a degree of tolerance. Your BMS will always do the balancing job at the end of a full charge, even if the drift is as much as 0.5V
Glad people have found this thread useful.

If your charger/battery combo works now, that's good. But, if it is running at 41.8 V or less, it will not balance the pack in most cases. If it is giving out 42.5 V...maybe that's ok - there could be diode in the charge circuit, so the charger needs to compensate for the diode drop. If there is no diode and the BMS is exposed to the full 42.5 V, it probably has enough slack to be able to absorb that, but it's likely that the cells will be stressed at their upper limit (towards 4.25 V/cell), shortening pack life. Indeed, if one or more banks is out of balance, the best banks in the rest of the pack will be pushed well above 4.2 V/cell.

For chargers giving out more than 42.5 V? At what point does the BMS fail? At what point does it become dangerous? This is particularly important to think about if you buy a replacement or a second charger online, or from a different supplier to that of the battery. I've bought 42 V chargers online before that were giving out over 43 V.

As we have seen, some cheap DVMs are very good, but others I've seen are more than 1 V out on the 200 V range. Checking such a charger with an inaccurate DVM could provide a false sense of security. So having some form of simple calibration is not a bad idea, even if it isn't perfect.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If your charger/battery combo works now, that's good. But, if it is running at 41.8 V or less, it will not balance the pack in most cases.
yes, I keep repeating this, balancing happens at the end of full charge, when the charging current goes below a set level, typically 100mA. That's the reason why bleed current is less than 100mA.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For chargers giving out more than 42.5 V? At what point does the BMS fail? At what point does it become dangerous?
there is no truly safe voltage for charging/discharging. The level of danger increases quickly with voltage but to appreciate that, you need to understand how the voltage is created in the first place.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The guy in that first video hasn't a clue. A normal top-balancing BMS that we have in our batteries does indeed balance the battery if you use it correctly. It wouldn't surprise me if his one is so far out because he's been reading all that BS about 80% charging. He says that the balancing doesn't work because it doesn't charge the low cells. Of course it doesn't charge the low ones. It works by draining the high ones, but it can only do that if you fully charge the battery.

He didn't need to go to all that trouble of manual balancing. All he needed to do was leave it charging and it would have sorted itself out.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A large battery like his can take days to balance passively and it may even not possible because the battery may be needed again before the balancing is completed. That's probably why it is in the state it is, what the guy has done on the video is probably the only way to save it.
active balancing is at least 20 times faster than passive balancing and can solve problems like this without manual intervention.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If your charger/battery combo works now, that's good. But, if it is running at 41.8 V or less, it will not balance the pack in most cases.
I won't know if my BMS responds with balancing, with the pack being charged by the continuous oscillation between 42.1V and 42.2V, until I get around to measuring the cell groups post-attempted full balance charge... but it's fully charged voltage doesn't seem unusual given it's age and mileage, so I'll probably simply leave it alone.

I'm starting to wonder about whether it'd be wise to cut and embed into/bond onto the battery case a set of Anderson connectors or something and place the BMS externally - that way, I could easily use different BMSs or active balancers without having to do more soldering on the battery pack.

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I won't know if my BMS responds with balancing, with the pack being charged by the continuous oscillation between 41.1V and 41.2V, until I get around to measuring the cell groups post-attempted full balance charge... but it's fully charged voltage doesn't seem unusual given it's age and mileage, so I'll probably simply leave it alone.

I'm starting to wonder about whether it'd be wise to cut and embed into/bond onto the battery case a set of Anderson connectors and place the BMS externally - that way, I could easily use different BMSs or active balancers without having to do more soldering on the battery pack.
Do you mean 42.1 and 42.2?

I'm sure your pack is fine. If you are really worried you could get a smart BMS with bluetooth or whatever and see what the banks are doing in real time. Having an external swappable BMS is only going to introduce more potential problems IMO.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I just got my new meter. It's going to be perfect. £9 including delivery.
View attachment 53970
3D printers aren't too expensive. One of the brands had incredible offers last year - about £150 for their £300 one. Even today, you can get a reasonable printer for not much more than £150. They're not too difficult to use either. My one is more or less fully automatic. I just clean the base and press print, though it was more expensive than most at about £1500.
Those cell holders did look 3D printed. Are you going to print a case to contain that battery pack plus controller?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Those cell holders did look 3D printed. Are you going to print a case to contain that battery pack plus controller?
Yes. We'll start with designs next week. That meter is for the kid I'm training. His homework this week is to put in all the resistors. He has to learn the colour codes before he can do that. They're all high accuracy 5 band ones, so not as easy as most.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes. We'll start with designs next week.
Compartment over the controller to keep a Cornish pasty and/or pizza slices warm? I was considering making a waterproof battery hood using aluminium sheet, pop rivets and 3M VHB tape:

Last edited:

Advertisers