Commuting on roads on FS and HT

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
It comes down to how particular you are about maintenance. I know lot riders who've never had there suspension or linkages serviced after years of riding, while others will do it every 3-6months.
There is definitely marked improvement if suspension has be serviced after a long period of no servicing.

The one thing you should do is spray and clean air forks with something like Fork Juice on regular basis. Every week or two with mileage your planning on doing. See youtube videos.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
It comes down to how particular you are about maintenance. I know lot riders who've never had there suspension or linkages serviced after years of riding, while others will do it every 3-6months.
There is definitely marked improvement if suspension has be serviced after a long period of no servicing.

The one thing you should do is spray and clean air forks with something like Fork Juice on regular basis. Every week or two with mileage your planning on doing. See youtube videos.
In my case the bike was creaking and groaning like a rusty gate. It groaned when I put pressure on the pedals and did a reverse groan when I eased off. Took in in for crash damage repair and was told if I didn't sort it I would soon need new bearings. Since the service I have done getting on for 1000 miles and it's been absolutely fine.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Read the thread
I’m not going over it again
If you can’t understand that the front suspension has no bearing on the matter in hand that’s your problem
BOTH BIKES HAVE FRONT SUSPENSION it’s the rear that’s different and relevant
As for the seat post I’ve already answered that as well
I can’t keep going over the same old ground with you so I’m personally out
If someone else wants to humour you there more than welcome
Bye
Its looking as if you are one of these people who likes to dish out opinion as fact, then aren't prepared to back it up or even discuss the matter.

Lets go back and look at what you first wrote as a reply to me when I asked if a suspension seatpost also causes you to 'lose your hard earned effort'

"you don't lose any of your power stroke with a suspension post"

And then in a followup post, you stated:

"Do you get any loss while on a hardtail standing up ?
Answer No"

Lets discuss. Because categorical as those statement are, they seem to fly against conventional wisdom.
Why do you get lockout front suspension forks? Surely its to avoid bobbing. And you can get bobbing on the front forks of a hardtail regardless if you're standing up or sitting down.
So that suggests bobbing is something you might want to avoid in certain situations.

You can also bob up and down on a suspension seat post. That also suggests there could be a reason to want to avoid this - power loss maybe?
I'd have thought that the mere fact that the seatpost is moving up and down would mean that you're constantly altering your optimum seat to crank distance, so that itself wouldn't be good.
Physics also dictates that the movement of the suspension post MUST cause SOME losses. But how much? I don't know, hence why I originally was curious and asked the question. I have an NCX seatpost that I haven't used in anger because I initially found the bobbing up and down a bit disconcerting so took it back off and haven't got around to investigating it further as yet.

But you are categorically sating you don't lose power with a suspension post?
And you also seem to be saying you don't get loss on a hardtail when standing up?

If you can't or wont answer, the safest thing to assume is that you're just plain wrong.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I have an NCX seatpost that I haven't used in anger because I initially found the bobbing up and down a bit disconcerting so took it back off and haven't got around to investigating it further as yet.
Have you tried adjusting it? I have been using one for a while now and really like it, it didn't require adjustment. I have however spoken to a couple of people who did have to adjust theirs from new, due to excessive bobbing up and down. Once adjusted they were both very happy with it.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Have you tried adjusting it? I have been using one for a while now and really like it, it didn't require adjustment. I have however spoken to a couple of people who did have to adjust theirs from new, due to excessive bobbing up and down. Once adjusted they were both very happy with it.
No, I've not tried adjusting it as yet. Don't get me wrong, it was very comfy when I gave it a go up and down the road, however the bike that I had it on is mainly used for a pretty hard 40 mile round trip commute where I'm often pushing on my limit a lot of the time, so I was wary of doing such a long test ride because it would be too late to turn back if I found out I really didn't get on with it 5 miles down the road!
I imagine its ok for leisurely riding, but my legs are going to be pumping out many hundreds of watts on some hilly sections, I'd suspect that to adjust it so that it doesn't bob doing that would mean that it wouldn't be particularly comfy for regular riding?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
They are designed to take the bumps out of a ride not to bob around, mine doesn't move a mm until it is needed. Never touched the spring setting, I am in the middle of the weight range for that particular spring.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I imagine its ok for leisurely riding, but my legs are going to be pumping out many hundreds of watts on some hilly sections, I'd suspect that to adjust it so that it doesn't bob doing that would mean that it wouldn't be particularly comfy for regular riding?
Possibly, not sure to tell you the truth. On normal roads I now have enough fitness that I am riding either at 16 mph or faster depending on wind direction and gradient. I imagine the seat post does waste a bit of energy but I would think its very small. I never really noticed a great deal of bobbing, and the comfort provided more than makes up for it. However we are all different so I am sure there are some people that these seat posts just wont suit.

Blunderbuss

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2018
Cambridge
They are designed to take the bumps out of a ride not to bob around,.
Having read this thread i bought one and fitted it over the weekend, i did a full run last night and took the tools with me to adjust it (i.e. a couple of hex keys) and it took a couple of goes to get "bumps not bob" setting for my weight (i am towards the upper quarter of its range with the supplied spring), but having done that it is a great and really takes out those impacts from hidden holes.

Reactions: anotherkiwi and Nev

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
For an update I went with a ht, cube hybrid reaction 500 sl, the choice was for various reasons. I have riden it for two days since getting it 76 (road)
miles clocked. i have to say its feels very nice to ride especially as I use to ride drop bar road bikes and tourers. I will post a review/up date once I have more miles under my belt.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
For an update I went with a ht, cube hybrid reaction 500 sl,
Cube are certainly the first company I've seen use the word hybrid in the context of human and electric power, at first I thought you'd bought a conventional hybrid bike rather than a mountain bike.

I look forward to seeing how you get on on the commute.

ETA, that front sprocket looks tiny, guess a bigger one will be the first upgrade.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Cube are certainly the first company I've seen use the word hybrid in the context of human and electric power, at first I thought you'd bought a conventional hybrid bike rather than a mountain bike.

I look forward to seeing how you get on on the commute.

ETA, that front sprocket looks tiny, guess a bigger one will be the first upgrade.
Because they had the word hybrid I discounted Cube initially thinking it was the style of bike, however, they call all their ebikes hybrids. The gearing works really well for my 18 mile each way commute so no complaints yet, maybe as my fitness improves I would consider a different front sprocket.

Related Articles

Advertisers