Confused about e bikes

Carole

Just Joined
Oct 22, 2020
Hi, I currently have a traditional bike and am looking to buy an e bike, didn’t really want to pay more than £1,000 for one, I need a 16/17” frame, nd wheel no bigger than 26” as only 5’1” myself . I was looking at the Pendleton from Halfords but reviews are not great, I only use if for popping to the shops, and a mooch around on a weekend with hubby so won’t be going miles, I have arthritis quite bad so think it will be easier for me than my old bike. Any suggestions of bikes or where to buy from, been looking at e bikes online but get very confused with them all.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Woosh Rambletta may be appropriate: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta (but not available right now?)
Woosh used to do a Petite, but this seems to have been replaced by a bike a bit too big for you.

Reactions: Carole

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Pendleton isn't a bad bike. Any problems are easy to fix. I have seen a few reports of the rear gears slipping or jamming, which is nothing that a few drops of oil in the right place wouldn't solve.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The Pendleton isn't a bad bike. Any problems are easy to fix. I have seen a few reports of the rear gears slipping or jamming, which is nothing that a few drops of oil in the right place wouldn't solve.
I just fixed one of these, parts are easily available and repairable as vfr400

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I'm 5ft 2in and despite my short legs I happily and safely ride a 29er so you needn't necessarily restrict yourself to 26" wheels. Obviously you need a small frame. Now I'm used to my 29er I find my old 26" slower at rolling and not as stable.

Carole

Just Joined
Oct 22, 2020
I'm 5ft 2in and despite my short legs I happily and safely ride a 29er so you needn't necessarily restrict yourself to 26" wheels. Obviously you need a small frame. Now I'm used to my 29er I find my old 26" slower at rolling and not as stable.
Ah that’s interesting I notice lots have wheels 700c which are 29” it’s just so hard in today’s climate to be able to find one to try to make sure it’s ok for you .

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have a lot of sympathy for you as for me being able to test ride different bikes was a crucial factor in getting a bike that suited me well. I still ride the first ebike I bought in 2011 a lot.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I would suggest a conversion.
You can get a pretty good bike for about £300 that suits then add a kit to it.

This is my ride about, Brompton B75 with a long range battery:

and with a short range battery:

Last edited:

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
The suggestion by Mr Woosh is a good idea. This bike: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-touring-one-easy-entry-blue-n-greyblue-1015439
and a kit from Woosh would be under £1000. You would have a really good bike with a decent battery. I have just bought a Cube frame from a firm in Germany for about £130, as I want a disc brake at the rear, and my present battery is getting old, so I thought I would go for it. Probably my last bike....

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
I would suggest a conversion.
You can get a pretty good bike for about £300 that suits then add a kit to it.

This is my ride about, Brompton B75 with a long range battery:

and with a short range battery:

Nice use of the brommie luggage block!
How much use do you get from the powertool-like battery? Looks like a brilliant solution for short commutes & light enough to take off for extra security.